Extreme Explorer 360 Chromium 78-86 General Discussion

24 minutes ago, IXOYE said:

I prefer the version 2206 v2 :rolleyes:

Me too.

The 1054 was more of an experiment for the "YouTube Crowd" because people were frowning upon me for not considering YouTube as a tell-tale on 360Chrome's capabilities, performance, stability, reliability, etc.

I own three different Roku devices and a SmartTV with Roku built-in  --  the YouTube channel will crash all of my Roku's also!

Granted, those Roku devices are all roughly 2 to 4 years old  --  but YouTube shenanigans isn't about to force me to go out and buy new hardware or Smart TVs.

YouTube doesn't crash my 2206 so everything past that was my attempt to assist the "YouTube Crowd".

At this point, I think I've done everything possible aside from visiting China and befriending the folks that compile 360Chrome and thumping them over the head that YouTube crashes on XP x86 SP2  :buehehe::roll1:

Speaking of software suggestions  --  does anybody have a good lightweight alternative to Notepad++ ???

As an example, the en-US.pak file contains thousands of tiny files and you kinda "have to" have at least the numbered-without-file-extension files open in tabs and be able to search all for various text.

It takes my Notepad++ close to 20 minutes to open them all then another 15 minutes to close them all once edits are completed.

My Notepad++ is version 6.8.8 but I opted for that version a while back because of "bloat" in never versions.

I guess I should check to see if a never version takes so long to open a couple thousand tiny files, but if there are alternatives I'd be interested in trying them out.

13 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Here's a test version of Build 1054.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0nqo7onxktw9lo/MSFN-share%20-%20%20360Chrome%2013.0.1054%20-%20unran.zip

Like all other Chromium/Chrome forks out there, it will do a gstatic connection on first run and first run only - this is still on the to-do list.

None of the resources.pak modifications have been done yet - so you will have a lot of English errors still present because these are the original Chinese/Russian translations into "broken English".

Took three days to get this far and the resources.pak file is formatted differently than newer builds so those modifications are back-burnered until after we do some trial-run tests.

I'm especially interested in Cisco Webex feedback, YouTube feedback, Instagram feedback, and XP x86 SP2 feedback.

Those seem to be the most problematic but if you have known problem sites from your own experience, let's throw those at it also.

I was able to run three YouTube tabs on XP x86 SP2 with 2GB RAM so I'm a bit optimistic this go around.

Keep me posted...

Unfortunately this one is the worst yet in my system. YouTube plays for 5 sec and crashes the whole system. I had to manually turn off my laptop. I will try with Webex to see if it’s better

43 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Speaking of software suggestions  --  does anybody have a good lightweight alternative to Notepad++ ???

TextCrawler   installer around 2.5 MB
UltraEdit   installer around 13 MB, not really lightweight
X-SciTE   zip around 2 MB
Programmer's Notepad   2 MB
PSPad   8 MB

You never know which one will finish your specific task faster until you try a few.
I don't have much experience with them but they were recommended to me among others when I was looking for a program that can replace text in more files at once.
For some reason replacing letters worked OK but replacing numbers in .doc files didn't work with all programs including Notepad++, I haven't really investigated why that happens but I guess that is a topic for another time.

Edited by we3fan

25 minutes ago, Greyfox77 said:

Unfortunately this one is the worst yet in my system. YouTube plays for 5 sec and crashes the whole system. I had to manually turn off my laptop. I will try with Webex to see if it’s better

With that as your YouTube functionality, I would say skip on testing in Webex and I think I'll abandon this build also.

2206 really seems to be the route to take for most of our needs.

Ok..

So this latest build does crash about 1/2 way through watching a vid. At one point, I actually had to use the task manager to end tasks. The 3rd time it wouldn't start at al unless I restarted my computer and cleaned the registry with wise cleaner. 

Build 2206 v2 still works well for me, anyway.

Edited by XPerceniol

Just now, XPerceniol said:

Ok..

So this latest build does crash about 1/2 way through watching a vid. At one point, I actually had to use the task manager to end tasks. The 3rd time I wouldn't start at al unless I restarted my computer.

Thanks.  I'm definitely abandoning build 1054 by the sounds of it.

14 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Thanks.  I'm definitely abandoning build 1054 by the sounds of it.

You're welcome :)

Good luck with your work on this browser. Wow ... You're really into this every day. Gosh, how do find time for anything else? Lol

I do appreciate everybody's willingness to try various builds.

I'm going to revisit my 2206 build and clean it up a bit more - I found some hidden Chinese and Russian when rebuilding 1054 and will carry those over to 2206.

I'm in no hurry for these changes though.

The 2206 v2 seems to be our best base going forward.

Programmer's Notepad (both v2.3 and v2.4) crashes at 382 files when trying to load 4,072 tiny files (average right around 20 bytes per file).

Maybe this old bloatless Notepad++ v6.8.8 dated 12/10/2015 is still the best for this type of workload.

Giving X-SciTE a try next (trying/comparing versions 4.2.1 (x86 and x64), 3.7.5 r15, 3.3.7 r13, and 3.2.5 r12.

X-SciTE maxes out at 40 or 100 open files depending on version and I'm not seeing an option to search for specific text in all 40/100 open files.

TextCrawler looks convenient for other uses, UltraEdit and PSPad were tried a few years back and that's when I sent hunting for a Notepad++ version before they got a little too bloated for my use (and too political, it's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing on the politics, it's a matter of a software company should write software, no different than athletes should compete athletically and stay out of politics, that actors/actress should act and stay out of politics, but I digress...)

Looks like Notepad++ is doing a better job than I thought  :D

edit:  I forgot about the "minimalist" versions of Notepad++.  Running "minimalist" v7.9.2 (last version for XP).  Still takes forever to load/unload that many files but that's a bit much to throw at any text editor.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

18 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

The 1054 was more of an experiment for the "YouTube Crowd" because people were frowning upon me for not considering YouTube as a tell-tale on 360Chrome's capabilities, performance, stability, reliability, etc.

First, thanks for getting 360 to be a usable browser. Then, with all due respect, you got this one wrong. You asked for beta testers (for those -not you- who wonder what such thing is, google it), and I (among others) did. In my case, I (as a few others did) reported that that all FB-AP-GG-MS sites were working fine, except for youtube. No frowning upon, just the facts of testing, ma'am. I have kept your modded 2206 for general use (for such unnecessarily script-heavy sites) , except for party mood, when I will have to (still) use a linux laptop. Otherwise, it is a welcome addition to XP: it is capable to run sites where firefox derivatives can't run without script-stuttering, and it performs well (give or take a few glitches we all are used to), reliably and stably -unless you need more than one instance of youtube in your browser- so thanks again. Sincerely. I look forward to your future contributions to this community, bro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3J_2R9rAp8

PS: if I were to share this song publicly, other than in youtube, it would be blocked (and I could be sued) for copyright infringement, BTW.

Edited by dmiranda