Extreme Explorer 360 Chromium 78-86 General Discussion

8 minutes ago, XPerceniol said:

Ugh ... thank you @Vistapocalypse for that sad news - I just read those postings starting with VistaLover's. Yeah, I also feel @ArcticFoxie that time will come when we're going to have to do something. Well.. either upgrade to Vista so as to use Chromium57 then, perhaps, or I'll have to start 360. Again, thank you for the uploads ... if you were wondering whom was downloading them; it was I :) However, I haven't even unpacked them yet as I'm overwhelmed with other real life issues and don't trust that browser 'as is' without some blocking Russian and Chinese telemetry. I mean, I can add to my host file without any problem and you and @Dixel have mentioned in previous postings in this thread. Maybe next week I'll also take "the plunge" with you all and report my experience. I (fully) admit, I'm not by any means skilled with Chrome browsers and hardly ever use them.

EDIT: My word, I'm all messed up tonight.

Just to note: @VistaLover did answer my question about Advanced Chrome 54 here as he was able to somehow make it work.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my-browser-builds-part-2/page/185/?tab=comments#comment-1196734

Edited by XPerceniol

55 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I’m sure it works fine with YouTube’s Polymer v1, but if you changed your user agent in order to be served Polymer v2, I believe it would be most unsatisfactory. As I stated above, “Whenever Google deprecates Polymer v1” (which they obviously haven’t done yet), Chromium 49-based and Firefox 52-based browsers (including UXP browsers) will not be able to display YouTube’s homepage. I first learned about this in VistaLover’s February 26, 2020 post (near the bottom of it) and subsequent discussion in that now-dormant thread. I was sufficiently concerned that I actually tried Yandex 17.4.1 on Vista (reluctantly, since it is Russian), and confirmed that this Chromium 57 backport is served Polymer v2 by default. I assume that the same is true for 360 and other Chinese backports (except “Advanced Chrome,” which is known to not work so well with YouTube).

This may have been covered already  --  but how do we know if we are being served Polymer v1 or Polymer v2?

14 minutes ago, XPerceniol said:

...either upgrade to Vista so as to use Chromium 57 then, perhaps...

There is no need for that: Chromium 57 does not support Vista either, but Yandex 17.4.1 is a Chromium 57 fork that supports both XP and Vista, i.e. a backport like 360.

Anyway, I hope that ArcticFoxie will not be dismissive about any YouTube issues that might be reported here. :)

32 minutes ago, XPerceniol said:

However, I haven't even unpacked them yet as I'm overwhelmed with other real life issues and don't trust that browser 'as is' without some blocking Russian and Chinese telemetry.

My uploads are not "as is".

The Russian and Chinese telemetry is removed.

I do have a few HOSTS file entries but the telemetry is supposed to be "broken" and should be at a very reasonable trustworthiness compared to the "original" (Chinese) and the "repack" (Russian).

1 minute ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I hope that ArcticFoxie will not be dismissive about any YouTube issues that might be reported here. :)

I'm not.  :wub:

I originally started posting public rebuilds of Build 2250 but it was problematic on YouTube and therefore the public rebuild dropped to Build 2206.

am attempting a good "balance".

But at the same time we need to be "realistic" also.

And where the line is between the two is a bit fuzzy.

11 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

This may have been covered already  --  but how do we know if we are being served Polymer v1 or Polymer v2?

Good question. I haven’t investigated this in well over a year, but was once able to figure it out after looking at VistaLover’s screenshot in this post. Polymer v2 also has fewer thumbnails per line, probably with mobile users in mind.

I admit that it's a bit discouraging that there's only THREE (?) people even providing feedback at all to the two of us now uploading public rebuilds.

But "it is what it is", as the saying goes - I'd be doing the rebuild for my own personal use anyway, the only thing that changed is that I documented each-and-every change.

But the user-base does not warrant me adding that amount of time to my personal-use rebuild, so now I'm making the changes without the needless documentation.

Those interested can still review the .xls for 2250 and the .xls for 2206 and still get a feel for WHICH files need modified.

It all boils down to this  --  until YouTube drops Polymer v1, 360Chrome will not gain a broader user-base.  Again, that day is coming.

But I can just as easily see MOST followers of the XP forum (there's really only a small handful of us!) just throwing their hands in the air and sighing, "It was fun while it lasted, I have to upgrade my OS now because I can't YouTube anymore."

We already have one that has publicly announced his laptop is dead and he will no longer be using XP, more will follow.  And we will have YouTube to blame.  :roll1:

Edited by ArcticFoxie

@ArcticFoxie Hi , first off : I want to make clear again , I'm not trying to devalue your work ! I'm not trying to say you inserted a nasty malware/key-logger, lol !

I  think you just sometimes misunderstand me , it happens . I still hope we can work together on 360. Now to the subject , I'm glad you (and other users) finally realised that betas and older bersions are far more stable . I've just tried your 2250 version . Well , what can I say : it connects to this IP right away , every launch . No , I can't attach screenshots because it happens so quick , also I'm still limited by the forum. My hosts is much bigger than yours and contains all 360 entries I could find. 

The IP is from Switzerland ! Weird , right ? 

142.251.1.94 Switzerland - Media Lite SA

Don't think that every word should be capitalised . Doesn't look good , distracts when reading, absolutely unnecessary and I remember some of the members mocked that poor guy who used the capitalisation . I even think this somewhat "modern" tendency has it's own hidden agenda, like drawing away our attention from important things to something we don't need , just to waste our time and dumb us down. 

I don't have any crashes with youtbue. I only use "betas". When visiting youtube I have uBlock , De-luminate , HTTPS Everywhere, Easy WebRTC Block turned on.

And a ton of flags disabled. Hardware is quite old . The PC for the internet usage is from 2009-2010 (Quad). Plus GTX Titan from early 2013.

Let's define "beta". What do they mean by "beta" , lol ? It can't be beta , 'cause they just took the release version of chromium and redirected/manually removed APIs that don't exist in XP , then they just stuffed it with Chino-Russian telemetry. The higher the version , the wider the range of IP's and junk for us to remove , one's gotta run and grab the first released "beta". Should be clear as day , no ?

EDIT:

That's what I did and I don't have any of the problems described here , but maybe it has something to do with the OS itself , 'cause I'm on Vista

and you're on XP.

Edited by Dixel

3 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

We already have one that has publicly announced his laptop is dead and he will no longer be using XP, more will follow.  And we will have YouTube to blame.  :roll1:

I use XP primarily as a VM on my Macs for specific uses where anything newer won't work, and to be able to use it on hardware it won't otherwise run on.  I also have numerous real machines to run it on if I want a more authentic experience.

That said, I'm not giving up on it any time soon!

c

8 hours ago, Dixel said:

I've just tried your 2250 version . Well , what can I say : it connects to this IP right away , every launch . No , I can't attach screenshots because it happens so quick , also I'm still limited by the forum. My hosts is much bigger than yours and contains all 360 entries I could find. 

Please try the 2206 version and report what you see with it.

The 2250 was abandoned almost as quickly as it was picked up.

The 2206 version has (unran) in the title.

I'm unable to replicate the 142.251.1.94 Switzerland - Media Lite SA connection.

Can you see if this is only happening in Vista and just simply does not happen in XP?

I use the MVPS HOSTS file (December-15-2020) and that IP is not being blocked by my HOSTS but I'm not seeing that connection being made by Build 2206.

I have a Vista VM around here somewhere, could take some time to track down.

Also, I will be doing a Build 1006 of v13 but it will likely be a couple of weeks before I can get to it.