Extreme Explorer 360 Chromium 78-86 General Discussion

24 minutes ago, dmiranda said:

It may be a residual cookie. I installed the extension "Vanilla Cookie Manager"

Nope, crashes returned. But they stopped (for a while, will report later) when deleting (after crash) the contents of .\Chrome\User Data\Default\IndexedDB\, the youtube one, in particular.

8 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I pefer to delete indexed databases. I do have one or two extensions that the indexed database can not be deleted but for the most part I am able to delete them via the loader .ini.

Quite right on deleting databases, and on the very good use you are making of the loader (for what I can understand, from the perspective of a relatively informed user).

Still, crashes continue to occur, now and then, sometimes in coincidence with crashes on other DX dependent applications. The youtube database mediating a crash is the symptom. The protocol for other sites works fine. But not youtube's. I reckon it is related to cookies: if you open a few (sometimes just 2) instances, it makes chrome crash, and there you are once again, deleting the databases. It is a beta, and a superseded one, at that. I will keep playing with it. Cheers!

PS: I've decided that if I am willing to share all my social media info with the echelon, I may let the russians and the chinese into it, as well. My browsing habits I leave to Hong Kong and Tor. :P

Edited by dmiranda

14 hours ago, we3fan said:

Is it possible to make version 9 work on Win XP Pro x86 SP2?

Yup  I did not notice the sp2, apologies. In sp3 9.5 is quite solid. I am keeping it until ArticFoxie and Humming bird tackle the current beta. Sincerely, thanx to you two guys.

Edited by dmiranda

9 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Side note:  there are 4,291 files in Build 2206's en-US.pak (but one is just the index.ini) in order to track down grammatical errors.  I'm only 1,065 files in and that has taken me 8+ hours so this will take a few days.

I could lend a hand. The big east/west/north/south companies of this day gotta learn a lesson or two, said the resurrected louse.

Edited by dmiranda

It's not really tracking down grammatical errors that is taking some time.

If you look at the menu listings in MyPal, Pale Moon, and BNavigator (as examples), you will notice that all words in the menu listings are capitalized, except for words like a, an, and, as, in, on, or, and with.

Same goes for Office programs like Kingsoft Office and Microsoft Office - all words in menu listings are capitalized except for words like or, and, to, and from.

Several file manager programs do the same - all words in menu listings are capitalized.

Same goes for Notepad++ and Microsoft Notepad - all words in menu listings are capitalized.

Chromium builds only capitalize the first word in each menu entry (but so also does most [but not all] menu entries in an email program I use called POP Peeper).

Since I'm opening 4,290 entries one-by-one looking for grammatical errors, I'm making the menus capitalize words in the same manner as most other programs for a more consistent look-and-feel.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

7 hours ago, dmiranda said:

The protocol for other sites works fine. But not youtube's.

I personally perceive YouTube (and Facebook) to be a "niche market".

YouTube does NOT crash my Build 2206 on any of my hardware (including a 14yr old Core 2 Duo with only 2 GB RAM).

But at the same time when I do run YouTube on that 14yr old laptap, I do NOT have twenty tabs running and throw an unrealistic workload upon that laptop!

There really is only "so much" that we should "expect" from some of our "older" hardware.

Despite the "Lemmings Following" of YouTube and Facebook, my goal really is not for a version of 360Chrome that "never" crashes on YouTube and Facebook.

My goal is for 99.999999% of the websites that I visit on a daily/weekly/monthly basis to "work" (including my own "niche" website [Google Voice]).

Getting 3 crashes in 2 days on Build 2250 is not acceptible to me.

But getting 1 crash in 16 days on Build 2206, I can live with that!  :thumbup

Even if we discover that Build 1006 only gets 1 crash in 24 days, I'd likely still stick with Build 2206 because the file structure and telemetry/update features of Build 1006 is far more "intrusive" then Build 2206.

IF I visited YouTube as much as you guys seem to, I would have one browser for 99.999999% of my websites and a different browser for YouTube.

In fact, that's exactly what I used to do - MyPal / Pale Moon v27 for 99.999999% of my websites and a Win7 VM with ungoogled Chromium for my "niche" Google Voice.

But I know, we all have our own way of doing things, lol.

Oh, and sometimes, it isn't our browser that is crashing, it is the extensions that we add to that browser that causes our crashes.

I could show you a way that a Stylem/Stylish/Stylus style can crash any browser every time its own home page is loaded (at least, I know for a fact it used to be possible).

Edited by ArcticFoxie

3 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I personally perceive YouTube (and Facebook) to be a "niche market”....

IF I visited YouTube as much as you guys seem to, I would have one browser for 99.999999% of my websites and a different browser for YouTube.....

Pardon my intrusion, but YouTube is one of the most popular websites, and their Polymer v2 layout is incompatible with Chromium 49-based and Firefox 52-based browsers. Whenever Google deprecates Polymer v1, YouTube users running XP or vanilla Vista are going to want a good browser for YouTube. If not Extreme Explorer 360 or one of the other Chinese backports, that only leaves Yandex 17.4.1.

IF I ever use the browser being discussed in this thread, it would only be my “different browser for YouTube” because 99.9% of websites work fine in Firefox 52-based browsers.

One of these days I will have to give Firefox 52-based a try.

If it can't make calls from Google Voice then I'm afraid it doesn't fit my needs.

I honestly do not disagree on the popularity of YouTube.

My point is more along the lines that if YouTube only causes my 360Chrome to crash once every sixteen days, then I can live with that because what else can do as much while remaing on XP ???

I kind of parallel it to Windows in general.

I can remember the days where Windows would crash at least once a week - but it's been several years since my XP has crashed.

You may recall the days where "Three-Finger Salute" was common everyday vernacular.

How much of that is due to XP being "mature", how much is due to XP "ain't broke so don't fix it" (ie, no more Windows Updates), how much is due to those of us still running XP have learned how to tweak/optimize it - your guess is as good as mine :D

Edited by ArcticFoxie

Just tested.

Google Voice does NOT work in Firefox 52-based.

So it's either ditch XP (not interested!) or use 360Chrome v13 and "live with" it crashing once every sixteen days (I don't really get that many crashes, but you follow the logic).

There IS going to be a day where I will "have to" ditch XP, but the further out I can delay that the better  :cool:

6 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Pardon my intrusion, but YouTube is one of the most popular websites, and their Polymer v2 layout is incompatible with Chromium 49-based and Firefox 52-based browsers. Whenever Google deprecates Polymer v1, YouTube users running XP or vanilla Vista are going to want a good browser for YouTube. If not Extreme Explorer 360 or one of the other Chinese backports, that only leaves Yandex 17.4.1.

IF I ever use the browser being discussed in this thread, it would only be my “different browser for YouTube” because 99.9% of websites work fine in Firefox 52-based browsers.

Sorry for my intrusion (also) as I don't normally post in this thread; but, wanted to note - Iron49.02600 does (indeed) work fine with youtube for me anyway on XP. Though, taking into account its age, I would imagine I should someday give 360 a whirl ... just been putting it off I guess. Thank you guys for the uploads btw :)

spacer.png

Despite my ramblings regarding YouTube, I want a 360Chrome that we can get MORE than just a small handful of us MSFN-ers to use.

But I also don't doubt that 360Chrome won't really gain in popularity until YouTube (and Facebook) crashes or outright no longer works on other browsers.

360Chrome will only gain in popularity when YouTube crashes Iron, MyPal, Pale Moon, New Moon, Basilisk, BNavigator, you-name-it, at a "higher crash-rate" then 360Chrome.

I do think that day is coming...  Maybe even sooner that most of us care to admit...

Does YouTube already crash other browsers?  Or are extensions required to "tame" YouTube in order to prevent those crashes?

1 hour ago, XPerceniol said:

...Iron 49.02600 does (indeed) work fine with youtube for me anyway on XP...

I’m sure it works fine with YouTube’s Polymer v1, but if you changed your user agent in order to be served Polymer v2, I believe it would be most unsatisfactory. As I stated above, “Whenever Google deprecates Polymer v1” (which they obviously haven’t done yet), Chromium 49-based and Firefox 52-based browsers (including UXP browsers) will not be able to display YouTube’s homepage. I first learned about this in VistaLover’s February 26, 2020 post (near the bottom of it) and subsequent discussion in that now-dormant thread. I was sufficiently concerned that I actually tried Yandex 17.4.1 on Vista (reluctantly, since it is Russian), and confirmed that this Chromium 57 backport is served Polymer v2 by default. I assume that the same is true for 360 and other Chinese backports (except “Advanced Chrome,” which is known to not work so well with YouTube).

Edited by Vistapocalypse