Extreme Explorer 360 Chromium 78-86 General Discussion

16 minutes ago, Humming Owl said:

- Drag and drop the downloaded ZIP file into the page.

In my case this did not work. I had to unzip the downloaded ruffle file, and load the unpacked (unzipped) extension. But it does not seem to work.

I will try moving the npflash and ppflash folders in ArticFoxie's 2206 or 2250 into the component directory.

Edited by dmiranda

11 minutes ago, dmiranda said:

In my case this did not work. I had to unzip the downloaded ruffle file, and load the unpacked (unzipped) extension. But it does not seem to work.

I tested it and it doesn't work. I forgot I only tested it in Ungoogled Chromium. Sorry for that.

23 minutes ago, Humming Owl said:

Yes. It is a little annoying to modify that file. :wacko:

We could "probably" make changes to one version's browser_strings.xml and carry that .xml over to a newer version, but I prefer to avoid any possible mistakes so I modify each-and-every build totally from scratch.

I wish there were more MSFN users actually INTERESTED in 360Chrome.

It has a lot of potential but the number of users here that use it can be counted on one hand!

What really needs done is a total rewrite to get rid of all the REDUNDANCY.

As an example, the phrase "Add to Bookmarks" exists about a DOZEN times in SIX different files.

I'm OCD so all one dozen entries spanning six different files HAS TO BE IDENTICAL.

ALL software developers should be OCD !!!...

I also kind of disagree with YouTube &/or Netflix being "the" guage to determine which version is "optimum".

Google Voice is more important to me than either of those two web sites.

But I also can understand why other users will think the exact opposite.

I Netflix daily - but from the 50" TV in the Living Room or the 42" TV in the Bedroom, never from the 21" computer screen.

55 minutes ago, dmiranda said:

I will try moving the npflash and ppflash folders in ArticFoxie's 2206 or 2250 into the component directory.

I tried to move those folders from the Russian repack to v9 and Flash worked. Even the npflash and ppflash folders from v13 worked. Anyone knows where those files come from? (official page or something like that)

1 hour ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Flash was discontinued last year by its creator.

Do we "need" to keep it alive in 360Chrome?

I can't remember the last time I've seen any website actually use Flash - and intentionally tracking down a "test site" doesn't count.

I don't think Flash support is necessary. Also the original 360EE files do not come with Flash (at least when I unzip the .exe file from the original website). I would like to work only with the files that come out of the browser. Extensions and plugins are secondary things.

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a good "stress test", but my Build 2206 did not crash under this "stress test" but my Build 2250 under the same "stress test" did crash.

BUT it took me SEVEN attempts at this "stress test" to crash 2250 - so I'm not sure if that is "enough" to claim 2206 to be more stable than 2250.

Zero interest in DRM capability so did not attempt Netflix on the computer.

YouTube episode of Red Green show playing on one Incognito Window.

YouTube AVB - What's Your Tag Say playing in another Incognito Window.

Google Maps being used in another Incognito Window.

A regular-mode Window browsing to and typing this reply.

3GB of 16GB RAM being used (other apps are running also, the 3GB is not all 360Chrome).

The 3:25 song is on its seventh play.

The Gred Green show played an entire 22:20 episode without locking up.

Build 2206 took all of this and didn't blink an eye.

"mileage may vary"...

Edited by ArcticFoxie

16 minutes ago, beansmuggler said:

Would 360 have the right audio codecs to support Discord voice chat in-browser? I've tried every available browser, but none do, and I want to be sure ahead of time before I begin installation

In v9 this are the audio codecs supported by the browser.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TlLCYieqkpdjmliBvyvtDqSjSHneDaAS/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n5hRjxGk-biyTDOr0dszY69LnBQvHZ7V/view?usp=sharing

The info is from https://html5test.com/

In relation to the DRM support, I really do not know what to do (maybe it is a feature that it is added before the compilation of the browser). I will search some info but I think I can't do anything in that area.

Everything that can make this browser compatible with most of the stuff of the internet is welcome. :lol:

Whew!  Much to catch up on here!!

8 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I wish there were more MSFN users actually INTERESTED in 360Chrome.

It has a lot of potential but the number of users here that use it can be counted on one hand!

I'd like to try it out!  As a general rule, I try to avoid Chrome and most chromium-based browsers (modern Opera being a notable exception) because of Google's telemetry (there's more than enough of that nonsense everywhere else... I don't need it in my browser too!).  I've been on the sidelines here, watching and waiting for some sort of ready-to-go Extreme Explorer 360 package with all the Chinese and Russian telemetry removed, and it looks like it has happened in the form of @ArcticFoxie's build 2206, which, if I am following correctly, is a build of version 13?

Anyway, I have numerous machines here which are limited to XP, either by choice or, in some cases, necessity, plus a handful of VMs on my Macs, so it would be nice to have a decently modern browser for them.

That being said, what should I download?

c

I just updated the v9. I think this is the final one. The reason for the re-upload was that in the adfilter exception list there were Chinese URLs. I removed those entries through the "chrome.dll" file.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/bzpet4joy7y9vcq/360EE_9.5.0.138_Modified.7z/file

Here is the pastebin with all the modifications to the browser.

https://pastebin.com/XGgXhUtC

It was a very hard work, I hope it works well.

Cheers.