Extreme Explorer 360 Chromium 78-86 General Discussion

9 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I wonder if this Chinese company will be able to circumvent the SSE3 requirement introduced with Chrome 89? If not, then support for a majority of XP hardware (and possibly for XP itself) might be reaching its extreme.

Maybe they do, I think most of China's population is stuck on Windows XP because of the lightness compared to other more recent OS (for their computers that are not so powerful and they can't upgrade for whatever reason), and if that Chinese company wants to keep storing the data of those citizens I think it's a good option to keep working on XP.

On 6/7/2021 at 7:19 PM, ArcticFoxie said:

Thanks.  It was fun making also, I've never liked software that "targets XP" but doesn't even use Luna buttons.

It was also my first use of "alpha blending" to get the tabs to overlay.

Tried your XP skin , very bright for me , all is white and acid blue , it distracts from the pages , it's eye fatiguing , sorry my opinion , folks love bright colours these days (I guess) , but you're a cool skin modder anyways. What I noticed - if I I simply replace en_skin and skin (without adding the actual XP skin) - the browser will load faster , and the skin is still dark , like I want it to be (I'm on a dark theme) , even though I do not like the original 360 style . So , thanks ! I'm not sure why this is happening . Less compression ? 

Hello,

I want to ask if anyone knows how to change the browser preferences from any of the files that come with it. Not counting the "Preferences" file. My goal is to make a modified version that does not have to depend on the first run of the browser to be able to modify it. I was already able to change the welcome page, home page, search engines, and others. But I have no idea how to change other settings (like displaying the browser avatar).

Greetings.

3 hours ago, Humming Owl said:

. . . a modified version that does not have to depend on the first run of the browser. . .

I do the same.

When I had a working version to use as my "base", I copied four files that I use so that future profile-builds do not depend on first-run.

Those four files are "Preferences", "Bookmarks", "Favicons", and "Web Data".

They all exist in the same folder as "Preferences".

This seems to work for 99.9% of my settings.

The ONLY setting I need to remember to make on profile-builds (and do so before enabling network access) is the "Join user experience plan" setting.

2 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Those four files are "Preferences", "Bookmarks", "Favicons", and "Web Data".

Is there any way to avoid modifying them? I mean modifying chrome.dll instead, for example. To get the same result.

Edited by Humming Owl

Hello!

I hope you are well after the time MSFN was down (I thought it would not open again and was a bit worried). I have compiled more information on the browser in these links (I recommend you to use google translate to read the pages, one of them is in Japanese):

https://mevius.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/win/1599682854/95-194

http://effect8.ru/soft/browsers/360-extreme-explorer-portable.html

https://board4524.rssing.com/chan-64145222/article193081-live.html

I am almost close to finishing a modified version (from the original v9.5.0.138). I was able to remove the connections made by the options in the browser preferences through the chrome.dll file. I will post the modified version somewhere (I don't know if you can recommend a specific platform to upload it to) so you can try it out and let me know what you think. It will not depend on the "Preferences" file so there is no need to worry about the first run of the browser. After finishing with version 9 I will start with 11, 12 and then 13. 

Greetings.

Hi

13 hours ago, Humming Owl said:

Hello!

I hope you are well after the time MSFN was down (I thought it would not open again and was a bit worried). I have compiled more information on the browser in these links (I recommend you to use google translate to read the pages, one of them is in Japanese):

http://effect8.ru/soft/browsers/360-extreme-explorer-portable.html

https://board4524.rssing.com/chan-64145222/article193081-live.html

I am almost close to finishing a modified version (from the original v9.5.0.138). I was able to remove the connections made by the options in the browser preferences through the chrome.dll file. I will post the modified version somewhere (I don't know if you can recommend a specific platform to upload it to) so you can try it out and let me know what you think. It will not depend on the "Preferences" file so there is no need to worry about the first run of the browser. After finishing with version 9 I will start with 11, 12 and then 13. 

Greetings.

I am not allowed to see in my western country the web page with my internet connection for "western democracy" reasons...

all my browsers "Roytam1" displays a blank page with no error code.  "Extreme explorer 360 and Otter-browser" tells me "error 451" and the web page are displayed only through my proxy which is in "Kazakhstan".:blink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_451 "  = country censorship

This is getting really annoying.:no:

error_451.jpg

Edited by IXOYE

@IXOYE I can confirm, with latest Serpent 52.9.0 on Vista SP2 32-bit :angry: ...

My EU IP results in a blank page when attempting to load

https://mevius.5ch.net/

On 6/22/2021 at 2:27 PM, IXOYE said:

all my browsers "Roytam1" displays a blank page with no error code. 
"Extreme explorer 360 and Otter-browser" tells me "error 451"

Serpent 52 will also produce a 451 HTTP error, but you have to open the Web Console to see it:

pU36sBj.jpg

However, I'm not convinced this block is implemented necessarily on "our" European side, nor that it has to do with being inside a "Western" democracy (BTW, did you vote in the recent French elections? :dubbio:When citizens abstain en mass from elections (as I've heard was the case...), so called "democracies" rot into oligarchies :( - OT, of course, here, so apologies for bringing this up :blushing: ) ...

On further testing, Asian and US (yes, US of A) IPs do load that hostname, so perhaps an ACL (access-control-list) is imposed on "their" side?
OTOH, why would the Japanese block EU IPs?

On 6/22/2021 at 2:27 PM, IXOYE said:

Not a new thing, sadly... :realmad: The net hasn't been a liberal place since at least ten years ago, if not more... "Political correctness" and rights restrictions (for media content) imposed by the big powers that be have placed strict geo-blocks on what one can access freely from one's physical location...
And I'm not even discussing authoritarian regimes that censor net access as a whole; I'm simply talking here about net censorship in "democratic" regimes/states...
That is why VPNs are considered a must in this day and age... :(

28/06/2021 EDIT:

On 6/22/2021 at 6:13 PM, VistaLover said:

However, I'm not convinced this block is implemented necessarily on "our" European side,
(snip)
OTOH, why would the Japanese block EU IPs?

It does indeed appear that the EU IP block is done on the Japanese side, as a result of them not willing to conform to the GDPR EU laws; relevant reference from the wikipedia entry for 451 HTTP Error:

After introduction of the GDPR in EEA, it became common practice for websites located outside EEA to serve HTTP 451 errors to EEA visitors instead of trying to comply with this new privacy law. For instance, many regional U.S. news sites no longer serve web browsers from the EU.

:angry:

Edited by VistaLover

5 hours ago, IXOYE said:

The only solution I know about is to use a VPN. I can access the page from 360EE. My internet provider has blocked Reddit so I understand how annoying that can be.

You can try this extension for 360EE:

https://www.hotspotshield.com/vpn/vpn-for-chrome/ 

1 hour ago, VistaLover said:

why would the Japanese block EU IPs?

I don't know much about what is going on in the EU but I think I heard some time ago that they were going to censor memes (humorous images). I don't know how it turned out but if they want to limit even humor, I'm not surprised that there are these kinds of blockades. :(

Cheers.

By the way (in reference to @ArcticFoxie), I know you translated a lot of Chinese text in the browser. Can you pass me the thread of those modifications?, I will incorporate some of your translation work into the modified version. 

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Humming Owl

I'll have to see if I made notes somewhere.

For the 451's that some of you guys are getting, you could try a VPN program called Windscribe - https://windscribe.com/

I (unfortunately) have a neighbor 5/6 houses down on the Registered Sex Offenders list, I sometimes have to use Windscribe for the nephew and neice to log into some of their game sites.

I've also had good success with online proxy web sites, the two I've used are "Hyperbyte" and "Free Proxy Sites".

Windscribe is likely the best route, if your country does this 451-thing, I suspect they block Hyperbyte and ProxySites also.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

1 hour ago, ArcticFoxie said:

if your country does this 451-thing, I suspect they block Hyperbyte

... Well, indeed, "the proof is in the pudding"  :realmad: :

PkRpWhC.jpg

But please, let's not turn this thread into "which VPN/Proxy service works best for you?" debate... ;)

18 hours ago, Humming Owl said:

I don't know much about what is going on in the EU but I think I heard some time ago that they were going to censor memes (humorous images). I don't know how it turned out but if they want to limit even humor, I'm not surprised that there are these kinds of blockades. :(

IIRC the EU were looking into making memes which contain copyright images illegal, which is most of them of course!
Whether this was actually implemented I don't know.
:dubbio:

13 hours ago, VistaLover said:

But please, let's not turn this thread into "which VPN/Proxy service works best for you?" debate... ;)

Et tu, Brute?

We have MORE THAN ENOUGH "people" on this forum acting as "police" and TELLING us which direction the thread discussion "can" or "can not" go, let's PLEASE not add you to that list, my friend.

We only have maybe 20 to 30 active members in the XP threads.

There really is no need to "police" such a TINY user-base.

If a thread goes "off-topic" (within reason, of course), SO WHAT, there is only 30 of us, "on a good day", the thread will make it's own way back to "on-topic" without a small percentage of those 30 actiling Holier Than Thou.

But I digress...