Extreme Explorer 360 Chromium 78-86 General Discussion

1 hour ago, Humming Owl said:

Yesterday I discovered that when I open the bookmark manager, the browser connects to a cloudflare IP address (in version 13.0.2250.0). Apparently that IP is related to China. I don't know how to remove that connection. I have searched with the developer tools (on the bookmark manager page) for the link that might be related to that IP address and there is an image that loads from a link ("p7.qhimg.com"). The image is minimal and it's a bit odd that I don't see it in the bookmark manager when it loads (maybe it's because of how small it is?). I was then trying to find the bookmark manager files among the browser files and I still can't find them.

Maybe this is one of the connections you are blocking on your hosts file.

That's not one of my hosts file entries and build 2206's bookmark manager is not connecting to that IP/address.

I don't know for certain if one of my other tweaks/customizations disabled that connection or if build 2206 just doesn't attempt that connection.

I would kind of have to rebuild my tweaks/customizations from the ground up to isolate.

Seems I should have taken better notes along the way but at that time this thread was kinda dead and too many users abandoned 360Chrome too hastily.

27 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I don't know for certain if one of my other tweaks/customizations disabled that connection or if build 2206 just doesn't attempt that connection.

I have the build I will test right now.

28 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I would kind of have to rebuild my tweaks/customizations from the ground up to isolate.

Do not worry I know how hard is to organize information. 

29 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Seems I should have taken better notes along the way but at that time this thread was kinda dead and too many users abandoned 360Chrome too hastily.

I think this browser has a lot of potential. I think the users who abandoned it were because it was Chinese and not secure, but having things too easy isn't that much fun, is it? :D

9 hours ago, Humming Owl said:

I have tested it and it connects to a cloudflare IP. It looks like you managed to cut it off :thumbup

I wonder if that connection is skin-related?

Here is the list of files that I have changed, I could reverse-engineer my changes but it would take time --

root folder -> Chrome -> 360Loader.ini  --  should have no effect as far as telemetry goes

root folder -> Chrome -> Application -> 360chrome.exe  --  no effect, removed Chinese from file -> properties

root folder -> Chrome -> Application -> 13.0.2206.0 -> chrome.dll  and  options.zip  and  resources.pak

root folder -> Chrome -> Application -> 13.0.2206.0 -> Locales -> en-US.pak

root folder -> Chrome -> Application -> 13.0.2206.0 -> skin -> en_skin.srx  and  skin.srx

root folder -> Chrome -> User Data -> Default -> Bookmarks  and  Favicons  and  Preferences  and Web Data  --  these just revert to a default state when profile is rebuilt and to prevent fetching of favicons when default bookmarks are restored

root folder -> Chrome -> User Data -> skin -> geekkoedlankmgbjiogodoaibieloiep.srx  --  this is just my default WIN-XP skin and by copying this to new profile I don't have to visit skin-select page then do my WIN-XP changes over again

4 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

In options.zip, I have made changes to five files inside of it  --

appstore.js

options.html

options.js

options_page.css

privacy_security.js

It's not enough , you need to patch chrome.exe , resources.pak and chrome_elf.dll too. This is what I dug up from my memory .

chrome.exe has :

http://www.360.cn (2 times , at least , depending on the version) . And some other IPs (inverted , the chinese devs are getting smarter , lol) . And like you said , I don't remember everything what I patched too, I didn't make records , it was kinda on the fly, but I think you will find the rest by yourself.

chrome_elf.dll has : (don't remeber , sorry, on the fly patching again, perhaps will remember later)

resources.pak has (from what I remember): 

https://ext.chrome.360.cn

https://ext.se.360.cn

https://skin.chrome.360.cn

http://chrome.360.cn/themes

http://warn.se.360.cn (this one is 100% to leak your data).

Also , plenty of Gurgle, github telemetry addresses to report "bugs". Again , I'm sure you will find the rest by yourself, with your persistence .

And maybe this is why it still connects looking for a new skin and reports to that IP (even after the editing of options.zip)

EDIT: Don't forget , the main file chrome.dll has quite a few of inverted IPs too.

EDIT 2 : I'm talking about the repacked version . Yes ! None of those were removed by the "talented" russian hackers/packers, who were supposed to "remove telemetry" . Oh , and the chinese DNS , I wrote about earlier, is still there , checked again.

Edited by Dixel
EDIT : added info

38 minutes ago, Dixel said:

EDIT 2 : I'm talking about the repacked version . Yes ! None of those were removed by the "talented" russian hackers/packers, who were supposed to "remove telemetry" . Oh , and the chinese DNS , I wrote about earlier, is still there , checked again.

ENOUGH !!!

We all know your view on this, we are all attempting to create a version for ourselves with all of the telemetry removed.

Let us all strive for that end-in-mind and cease with "added commentary" PLEASE !!!

NONE of us have denied that telemetry exists, be it Chinese or Russian.

Onward and upward, my friend

46 minutes ago, Dixel said:

I do recall that one of my fixes was a replace-all and converted all "360.cn" with "broken" (same number of characters).

But I cannot remember how many different files (plural) that I made the 360.cn -> broken change in.

Maybe we need a "definitive" guide instead of several of us doing changes on our own and we are all doing bits-and-pieces here-and-there?

I've monitored connections on my own version and I'm satisfied with my own results - but I did not document all of the changes along the 9 months or so it took me to get here.

3 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

ENOUGH !!!

We all know your view on this, we are all attempting to create a version for ourselves with all of the telemetry removed.

Let us all strive for that end-in-mind and cease with "added commentary" PLEASE !!!

NONE of us have denied that telemetry exists, be it Chinese or Russian.

Onward and upward, my friend

What do you mean by "my view" , huh ? I already asked you (very politely) to stop discusssing me , my views , my ego , etc. I even thought (for a second) you will finally let go and stop . About the "russian" browser I'm stating the facts , that I proved , BTW. People need to know the truth and what to expect from that russian version , where is says they "removed telemetry" (false advertising) . Let's say someone is going to use this browser for storing sensitive data , they need to know what they're dealing with . If I discover (again) something that russians didn't remove (on purpose or not) , I will publish it here : this is what this topic is for and it's NOT against the forum rules ! And you , go ahead and report me again , let's see what the moderators think about your strange behaviour. 

I do recall that one of my fixes was a replace-all and converted all "360.cn" with "broken" (same number of characters).

But I cannot remember how many different files (plural) that I made the 360.cn -> broken change in.

Maybe we need a "definitive" guide instead of several of us doing changes on our own and we are all doing bits-and-pieces here-and-there?

I've monitored connections on my own version and I'm satisfied with my own results - but I did not document all of the changes along the 9 months or so it took me to get here.

1 - I'm sorry, I didn't see where you said about the other files needed to be fixed too. Perhaps I missed something , but you were talking about options and chrome.dll only.

2 - I didn't document it too , but if you think we need a guide , you're welcome to create one and be it's leader . I will publish my own findings there or you can just copy them from here and mention me. I will definitely add on if I remember or find something new. Though, I think 360chrome is not very popular. BTW , do you know how to restore Aero ? I'm tired of that ugly and flat win8/10 skin.

Edited by Dixel
missed 1(one) letter

5 minutes ago, Dixel said:

1 - I'm sorry, I didn't see where you said about the other files needed to be fixed too. Perhaps I missed something , but you were talking about options and chrome.dll only.

2 - I didn't document it too , but if you think we need a guide , you're welcome to create one and be it's leader . I will publish my own findings there or you can just copy them from here and mention me. I will definitely add on if I remember or find something new. Though, I tink 360chrome is not very popular. BTW , do you know how to restore Aero ? I'm tired of that ugly and flat win8/10 skin.

It's been 9 months or so since I started using 360Chrome as my default browser - I have lost track of the NUMEROUS changes I have made along the way to get it to a stage where I trust it.

I do think that there are enough of us here that we should be able to create a version that other users can trust as their default as well.

I use XP as my default OS and this is the only browser I have run across that can run in XP while being able to do pretty much everything the "modern web" throws at it.

I'm sure we can find exceptions for what it cannot do but those exceptions would also likely not coincide with my "normal usage" so I don't see the need to prove what it can't do.

Like I say, it's my default, I have a vested interested in being able to trust it and that's why I monitor this thread.

It's been 9 months or so since I started using 360Chrome as my default browser - I have lost track of the NUMEROUS changes I have made along the way to get it to a stage where I trust it.

I do think that there are enough of us here that we should be able to create a version that other users can trust as their default as well.

I use XP as my default OS and this is the only browser I have run across that can run in XP while being able to do pretty much everything the "modern web" throws at it.

I'm sure we can find exceptions for what it cannot do but those exceptions would also likely not coincide with my "normal usage" so I don't see the need to prove what it can't do.

Like I say, it's my default, I have a vested interested in being able to trust it and that's why I monitor this thread.

I can give you a free advice , yes I'm in a good mood today and I still think we can be friends , esp. being from the same generation . Why won't you compare the original files with your modded files from the same version , of course {using any HEX propramme} and publish the results here ? As simple as that.

8 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Why won't you compare the original files with your modded files from the same version , of course {using any HEX propramme} and publish the results here ? As simple as that.

I could ask the same of you and the answer would be the same.

1) would take a great deal of time

2) are there enough users interested to warrant that time

From what I see (so far), there are only about 6 of us that use 360Chrome as their default and all 6 of us have been able to tweak our own editions into a variation we ourselves are satisfied with.

I don't know software distribution rules, I never read the so-called must-read "license" info - I'm not a lawyer and reading "legal-ease" (if that's a word) piques zero interest.

But it would be interesting to know if it is "legal" to create an "MSFN Version" of 360Chrome and distribute that to forum-users ???

And then the "6 of us" with that vested interest of this being our default can collaborate as a team and first agree on which build number to use as our base and then create that "MSFN Version".