Extreme Explorer 360 Chromium 78-86 General Discussion

10 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

For the v13 build 2206, please show a pictures of what you mean by Section B when you say -

I removed the entries: "https://ext.chrome.360.cn/webstore/detail/", "https://ext.chrome.360.cn/tabextension/get_json" and "#appstorePage .network-error".

Ok. I pasted them in the comment:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182304-extreme-explorer-360-chromium-78-86-general-discussion/page/26/?tab=comments#comment-1200299

Tell me if its clear.

10 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Also, for Sectio D, there appears to be SOME .cn entries that appear legit when you look at surround code relative to some of the other .cn entries - do you have a "count" of how many was replaced?

But maybe those "code blocks" don't really DO anything anyway?

I replaced every ".cn"

I really think that not all of them make connections in the background. The thing is to verify which of them you want to eliminate. But that is pretty hard jajaja.

5 hours ago, NoNameNeeded said:

I absolutely cannot confirm this.

I did what you suggested and it still connects to as many chinese IP addresses as it did before I modified the file.

None of the IPs can be found in the chrome.dll (at least the ones I searched for, to be precise) so it's no big surprise it still connects to all these IPs.

I guess it does help to block some IPs by doing what you suggested but on the whole it doesn't change anything about the browser's habit to phone home...

I had already made some changes before to other files before posting that comment. What I was trying to say is that the only .dll file I had to modify with HxD in order to get rid of the rest of the chinese IP addresses was the chrome.dll file. 

Take a look at the .txt files on:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182304-extreme-explorer-360-chromium-78-86-general-discussion/page/26/?tab=comments#comment-1200299

5 hours ago, Dixel said:

1- Everything is in English for me with the "unpack portable command".

From the Russian Repack v11 and up the .cmd file is displayed in english, that comment was referring to the 9.5.0.138 RR version.

5 hours ago, Dixel said:

C) - No such line in my settings at all and everything is in English for me everywhere . 

Hmm that is weird, tell me the version of the browser and from where it was downloaded.

Edited by Humming Owl

15 minutes ago, Humming Owl said:

I had already made some changes before to other files before posting that comment. What I was trying to say is that the only .dll file I had to modify with HxD in order to get rid of the rest of the chinese IP addresses was the chrome.dll file. 

Take a look at the .txt files on:

Ok, but still: Even if I modify the appstore.js it still tries to connect to dozens of chinese IPs.

By removing the 360.cn links you just can't access 360s own webpages which is fine by me but doesn't really solve the problem.

31 minutes ago, NoNameNeeded said:

Ok, but still: Even if I modify the appstore.js it still tries to connect to dozens of chinese IPs.

By removing the 360.cn links you just can't access 360s own webpages which is fine by me but doesn't really solve the problem.

Ok. Tell me, did you follow the exact procedure in the .txt file that most corresponds to your browser's version?

Cheers.

I would say so, yes.

Even though I'm not sure why "use hardware acceleration if available" would make the browser connect to chinese IPs I unchecked it and did all the other things advised.

But I'm not really surprised that it didn't work because anyone could do that and the manufacturers of the browser don't actually want the people to break these connections.

Modifying the chrome.dll file maybe isn't something that anyone would do, but it's still fairly easy and therefore too easy.

1 hour ago, NoNameNeeded said:

I would say so, yes.

Ok.

Even though I'm not sure why "use hardware acceleration if available" would make the browser connect to chinese IPs I unchecked it and did all the other things advised.

I stated in the comment that I added some options in the browser's preferences that "may improve performance".

But I'm not really surprised that it didn't work because anyone could do that and the manufacturers of the browser don't actually want the people to break these connections.

Modifying the chrome.dll file maybe isn't something that anyone would do, but it's still fairly easy and therefore too easy.

If you use a newer v13 than the one I tested, I think connections with chinese IP addresses can occur. When the latest version of RR v13 is released, I will update the .txt files.

Edited by Humming Owl

@NoNameNeeded

I have tested the version 13.0.2250.0 of the Russian Repack following exactly the same procedure as for version 13.0.2206.0 (without step F) and I am not getting Chinese IP addresses in TcpLogView.

Because of this strange problem you have I would like you to give more details of those connections you are getting.

Cheers.

Edited by Humming Owl

On 5/30/2021 at 12:14 AM, Humming Owl said:

Hmm that is weird, tell me the version of the browser and from where it was downloaded.

I've tried several betas of 13 version , the first betas , to be precise. I'm sorry, I don't have the links anymore , it was almost a year ago , in September of 2020 , but I'm sure I didn't use the russian warez website, linked here by the user who "strongly" suggests using it. Oh , and I launch with the flag --disable-translate , perhaps this helps.

On 6/2/2021 at 7:18 AM, Humming Owl said:

@NoNameNeeded

I have tested the version 13.0.2250.0 of the Russian Repack following exactly the same procedure as for version 13.0.2206.0 (without step F) and I am not getting Chinese IP addresses in TcpLogView.

Because of this strange problem you have I would like you to give more details of those connections you are getting.

Cheers.

I was referring to the original chinese version since I don't speak russian and a lot of people seem to think that the russians didn't remove the telemetry stuff anyway so I saw no point in installing the russian version.

Now however I tried to install the russian version from here but I can't unpack or install it (Runtime error: Access violation)....

https://lrepacks.net/repaki-programm-dlya-interneta/182-360-extreme-explorer-amp-portable.html

Update:
Now that's not very clever: The russian version comes with an installer that doesn't seem to work on Windows XP.

So you have a recent browser for XP but you can't install or at least unpack it...

But I used Windows 7 to unpack it and NOW I can confirm that the Russians DID remove quite a bit of the telemetry stuff.

However it still connects to chinese IPs, as soon as you open the settings page (36.110.236.41 China Telecommunications Corporation)
I don't know if this is because of a setting that tries to "phone home" or if it always tries to connect to this IP as soon as you open the settings page.

I assume it is something in the options.zip file that makes it connect to this chinese IP but I don't really want to check every single file in there for chinese IPs or URLs....

I technically only download from https://lrepacks.net/repaki-programm-dlya-interneta/182-360-extreme-explorer-amp-portable.html

But they only keep the link to the most recent.

So unless I upload my own copies downloaded from above link, then I don't know of any better place to find the "betas".

@Dixel - when you refer to your preference for one of the early betas, which build number by chance?

2 minutes ago, NoNameNeeded said:

. . . and NOW I can confirm that the Russians DID remove quite a bit of the telemetry stuff.

However it still connects to chinese IPs, as soon as you open the settings page (36.110.236.41 China Telecommunications Corporation)

That is my experience as well.

I just block the settings page connections via my HOSTS file.

I have not removed those HOSTS file entries to see if the latest fixes submitted by @Humming Owl prevents those connections or not.