Extreme Explorer 360 Chromium 78-86 General Discussion

Ok, do you know which version is old enough to run smoothly on a Pentium 4 and new enough to do what it's supposed to do (block outbound Ip-ranges) and where I can download it?
I tried to find version 5 but I can't find anything useful.

3 hours ago, NoNameNeeded said:

Ok, do you know which version is old enough to run smoothly on a Pentium 4 and new enough to do what it's supposed to do (block outbound Ip-ranges) and where I can download it?
I tried to find version 5 but I can't find anything useful.

That question about IP ranges was already answered (by me) , just scroll back . Yes , version 5 is good. You have to block under firewall/network policy/blocked zones and press "add" IP range.

This seems to be a demo version but it's too crappy for me anyway.

I don't intend to accept and allow every single move Windows makes for hours or days...

(yes, I know this can be automated but I don't want to spend days to configure the firewall. It's a computer that my mother will use and I can't help her to fix every problem the comodo crapware might cause)

If the comodo guys couldn't come up with a useful solution so be it, I can't use a browser that tries to connect to the chinese government every few seconds.

I can't say what should be done to the chinese government here but anyway...

It's a shame that the only up-to-date browsers for XP are of chinese brands but there isn't much one can do about it.

P.S: Well, I was able to get Kerio Personal Firewall to do the job.

Edited by NoNameNeeded

Just in case anyone's interested:
I've now installed Kerio Personal Firewall 2.15 and added (and removed) some rules and configured it to use my rules only while permitting everything else. The Windows XP firewall has an exception for the Kerio firewall engine but other than that, there is nothing I had to change so the "normal" firewall work is still done by the built-in firewall while Kerio takes care of the chinese IPs the browser tries to connect to.

Just in case anyone wants it, I'll upload the configuration file for Kerio (I've blocked pretty wide IP ranges, you might want to configure the settings yourself)

Kerio Settings just 360Chrome.conf

Edited by NoNameNeeded

On 4/30/2021 at 5:34 PM, ArcticFoxie said:

credit to @user57 in the "Windows XP Media Center Edition" subforum

<snip>

working Chromium v87 for windows xp

This Mini Browser works quite well and definitely feels quicker and more compatible than any Firefox-based browser for XP, however its RAM comsumption is insane. I feel like it hogs even more RAM than regular Google Chrome on Windows 7. On my C2D machine with 4 GB RAM installed (3.25 GB detected under Windows XP) I can barely open a few tabs until I get close to 100% RAM usage, and on my Pentium M laptop with only 2 GB of RAM, just a youtube video and another tab with a google search was enough to use up the whole memory so the system started swapping a lot and became unusably slow... Serpent or MyPal don't even use 500 MB with the same sites opened.

I really haven't done that much with Mini Browser but I do agree that I am thus far not impressed with it.

However - with only 2GB RAM in a 1-cpu VirtualBox, my 360Chrome uses roughly the same amount of memory as my Mypal v27.9.4 when playing a YouTube video.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ArcticFoxie

360 Explorer and Mini Browser are both quite similar Chinese forks, however it seems like Mini Browser comes with less chinese telemetry and the interface can be easily completely turned into English (or any other language). That's why at first I liked Mini Browser more, but with that extreme RAM consumption it's almost impossible to use on older systems with less than 4 GB of RAM.

Edited by athlonxpuser

2 hours ago, athlonxpuser said:

This Mini Browser works quite well and definitely feels quicker and more compatible than any Firefox-based browser for XP, however its RAM comsumption is insane. I feel like it hogs even more RAM than regular Google Chrome on Windows 7. On my C2D machine with 4 GB RAM installed (3.25 GB detected under Windows XP) I can barely open a few tabs until I get close to 100% RAM usage, and on my Pentium M laptop with only 2 GB of RAM, just a youtube video and another tab with a google search was enough to use up the whole memory so the system started swapping a lot and became unusably slow... Serpent or MyPal don't even use 500 MB with the same sites opened.

What you say about the RAM usage is true.

Interestingly, Mini Browser uses only a few hundred MBs when run on Windows 7.

I think it has something to do with all these api-ms files you find in the browser's directory, because I ran filemon while I opened 360browser and found out that it looks for all these api-ms files that are missing from 360Browser but are present in MiniBrowsers directory.

So I copied all these api-ms files over to the 360Brower's directory and when I opened it, it used as much RAM as MiniBrowser does, which proves to me that it's the api-ms files which need a lot of RAM.

I'm not a programmer but I assume that these api-ms files are kind of replacement files for stuff that newer versions of Windows have, but older ones don't.

But for some reason the guys from 360Browser were able to make it work on XP, without these api-ms files, even though the browser is looking for them.

From my experience with Firefox, I guess those "api-ms" files are C++ runtime files.
If you can see what version they are, you might be able to install the latest version of the same runtime version to the system, in which case it wouldn't need its own.
I found with Firefox (52.9 ESR) that the browser performance was better with a system runtime.
:yes:

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

From my experience with Firefox, I guess those "api-ms" files are C++ runtime files.
If you can see what version they are, you might be able to install the latest version of the same runtime version to the system, in which case it wouldn't need its own.
I found with Firefox (52.9 ESR) that the browser performance was better with a system runtime.
:yes:

Interesting.

The ones that come with minibrowser are versions like 10.0.19041.1 or 10.0.10240.16384

Ok, I installed the latest runtime I could find and suddenly the RAM usage of 360browser was almost as high as with MiniBrowser.

So in this case, installing the latest runtime is not recommendable.

(it can be unistalled quickly, though)