Extreme Explorer 360 Chromium 78-86 General Discussion

@Cixert : The "Preferences" (no file extension there!) file is the one that stores your custom browser preferences (modified from their original default values) and, as posted, should be found within your "Profile" folder, usually under ".\User Data\Default"

First, BACK UP that file to a secure location in your disk, before you attempt messing with it manually; any such attempt should be made with the browser exited!

The file itself is in a human-readable "pretty-printed" JSON format; open with a proper text/code editor; search for string

"accept_languages"

It should be there ;) (with, I suspect, zh-CN as the first/default choice in the official Chinese version of 360EEv11); if this JSON block isn't there in your case (but it should be in an already used profile where the user has selected the English language pack), then you should create yourself a nested JSON block for it...

18 hours ago, Cixert said:

Any idea how to force 360 Extreme Browser to display web pages in specific languages?

I opted to display pages in the Greek language, if available, first - for example, the Google Web Store[GWS], so my manually modified setting inside the "Preferences" file looks like below:

"intl": {
      "accept_languages": "el-GR,el,en-US,en"
   },

That code means that whenever the page hasn't got a Greek version available, the browser will fallback to displaying the American-English localization of it, and so on (if you add additional locales in that line) ;) ...

(Save the modified file while the browser is closed, then launch the browser anew and check for the effect of your new "custom" preference!)

Hope I've helped :)

Edited by VistaLover

• 2 weeks later...

I needed a version of Chrome that would enable me to view the catch-up service provided by Channel 5 known as as my54.tv,  The site specifies Chrome 60+ and Vista+ as minimum specifications, so I was out of luck with Advanced Chrome for XP.  I have tried the Russian repack version 12.0.1053, but it only enables the advertisements to be played.  I have tried to change the browser's user agent to indicate Windows 7 and I did empty the browser cache.  Also I remembered to install the Adobe Flash Player for Chrome (PPAPI)  .Perhaps a feature of NT6 is required to play video encrypted with FlashAccess DRM.

As for the claim that this is really the equivalent of Chrome 78 this is hard to verify because sites like whatismy browser.com only read the information given by the browser's user agent.

Edited by Zorba the Geek

On 1/11/2020 at 12:33 AM, Zorba the Geek said:

I needed a version of Chrome that would enable me to view the catch-up service provided by Channel 5 known as as my54.tv,  The site specifies Chrome 60+ and Vista+ as minimum specifications, so I was out of luck with Advanced Chrome for XP.  I have tried the Russian repack version 12.0.1053, but it only enables the advertisements to be played.  I have tried to change the browser's user agent to indicate Windows 7 and I did empty the browser cache.  Also I remembered to install the Adobe Flash Player for Chrome (PPAPI)  .Perhaps a feature of NT6 is required to play video encrypted with FlashAccess DRM.

As for the claim that this is really the equivalent of Chrome 78 this is hard to verify because sites like whatismy browser.com only read the information given by the browser's user agent.

I'm positive that Chrome 360 is based on a newer version of Chromium solely on the fact that it is the only XP browser that can load the new YouTube desing.

What new design is that?
YouTube looks exactly the same to me on Firefox 52 ESR on Windows XP as it does on Firefox 72 on Windows 10.
Should I be seeing something different on Windows 10?
:dubbio:

9 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

What new design is that?
YouTube looks exactly the same to me on Firefox 52 ESR on Windows XP as it does on Firefox 72 on Windows 10.
Should I be seeing something different on Windows 10?

I think he's referring to the design that is pushed to Firefox 45/52+. roytam1's browsers have a user agent override for Firefox 42 on YouTube so we get to see an older design that is less bloated and thus not a nightmare on old (Core Duo) hardware.

Chrome 79 on Windows 8.1 seems to have the same design as the one that other newer browsers get.

Edited by win32

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

So Extreme Explorer 360 is the only XP browser that displays the new YouTube GUI on older hardware, and that's what @Windows 2000 meant?

Nope. If you were to remove the user agent override from roytam1's browsers, you would see the newer design.

OK, so what did he mean by "I'm positive that Chrome 360 is based on a newer version of Chromium solely on the fact that it is the only XP browser that can load the new YouTube desing (sic)."
I assume the last word should have been "design"!

8 hours ago, win32 said:

Nope. If you were to remove the user agent override from roytam1's browsers, you would see the newer design.

Yes, I was aware of that, but Google is greedy and their new YouTube layout works smoothly only with a Chromium based browser. Here is a rough explanation of why that is: [Click To Open Twitter]

So really, using it on roytam1's browser is not a very good option regardless.

Please keep in mind that I do not have experience with the newer and more resource heavy layout on older hardware as I have been using XP on a modern computer and performance has never been a problem for me, so it might not be as noticeable on older computers as it is on newer and more powerful ones.

10 hours ago, Dave-H said:

So Extreme Explorer 360 is the only XP browser that displays the new YouTube GUI on older hardware, and that's what @Windows 2000 meant?

More smoothly than any other non-chromium browser with a spoofed user agent, yes. Also, neither the last official Chrome (49) that works on XP or the Advanced Chromium (54) support the new layout, even with a spoofed user agent. (The layout does not load properly and does not work, at least to my knowledge)

8 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I assume the last word should have been "design"!

Layout, to be more precise. Please excuse me for the confusion that I may have caused due to English not being my primary language.

12 hours ago, win32 said:

I think he's referring to the design that is pushed to Firefox 45/52+

Right on point.

Edited by Windows 2000

On 1/12/2020 at 9:35 PM, win32 said:

I think he's referring to the design that is pushed to Firefox 45/52+. roytam1's browsers have a user agent override for Firefox 42 on YouTube so we get to see an older design that is less bloated and thus not a nightmare on old (Core Duo) hardware.

I see no difference on youtube design between 360 browser and @roytam1 default user agent (42) on Serpent 52.

I have examined the Youtube home page in 360 Chrome 12.0.1053 and MyPal 28.6 and the main difference I see is that if you hover the mouse pointer over thumbnails in 360 Chrome the video starts to play in the thumbnail.  Also in 360 Chrome there are links for library and history as well as home, trending and subscriptions.  Also in Chrome 360 there are links at the top of the page for create a video, youtube apps, user account and settings, while in MyPal the links are for upload, notification and user account.  When you open a Youtube video there does not seem to be much difference between Chrome 360 and MyPal except under Chrome 360 a mini player is available, there is a save button and the thumbnails in the "Up Next" column on the right will play the videos when the mouse pointer is hovered over them.

To really test the claim that Chrome 360 is really Chrome 78 we need to find web pages that have features that we know are only available with a recent version of Chrome.  As far as I can tell it is mainly streaming sites like my5.tv that demand a recent version of Chrome, and I suspect that is because Chrome is now tightly integrated with DirectX 11.  This would explain why I could only play the adverts with my5.tv using Chrome 360.

5 hours ago, Zorba the Geek said:

To really test the claim that Chrome 360 is really Chrome 78 we need to find web pages that have features that we know are only available with a recent version of Chrome.

faking user agent will allow you to sort this out.

5 hours ago, caliber said:

faking user agent will allow you to sort this out.

Not really. Faking the user agent goes just as far as telling the website that you're running a newer browser while you are in fact not. The trouble comes when a site has some feature(s) that are unsupported by the older spoofed browser and then it simply does not work or load properly.

A very good example of that is when Chrome 49 gets spoofed to Chrome 51+ and as a result, YouTube does not work - at all.

New Bitmap Image.jpg

Edited by Windows 2000