Extreme Explorer 360 Chromium 78-86 General Discussion

Hello.

I was looking for internet browsers that still support XP and something caught my eye, a chinese browser called Extreme Explorer 360 (Chrome 360). It was advertised as Chromium 78 based so I decided to give it a try and to my surprise it actually worked. :crazy: At first I thought that there was absolutely no way that it could be based on Chromium 78 but after several tests it proved me wrong.

Here's why I do believe that it is in fact based on Chromium 78:

• According to HTML5test.com, this browser gets a higher score than any other XP browser in terms of HTML5 support and features.
  • WhatIsMyBrowser.com reports the browser as Chrome 78 running on Windows Server 2003 (XP x64)

In case someone wants to try it on their own:

On 4/29/2019 at 6:25 PM, Windows 2000 said:

A direct download link from Mega provided by @win32:

EDIT:

I do actually recommend it as a main browser now as it is based on a significantly newer Chromium version, which is also a lot safer than other much older officially supported browsers.

EDIT 2:

The browser has been updated to Chromium 78 from 69 and still supports Windows 2000 (with all of the latest unofficial updates), Windows XP and Windows Vista.

EDIT 3:

According to @ED_Sln, the latest version with proper TLS 1.3 support of Extreme Explorer 360 is 12.0.1053.0.

I just installed it on Windows 2000 and it works great, aside from the fact it seems to render lots of Western-signed HTTPS certificates invalid.

untitled4.thumb.png.7c3fbd13701ce1cf5775310b3b21d087.png

MSFN was also affected; click the hyperlink on the (far) left to proceed to the site.

It also makes all these connections (and a few more); they seem to be American cloud servers. New Moon makes only like 5 connections with a page of MSFN open.

untitled5.thumb.png.27320e19f17e365a394d971f439b72f7.png

15 minutes ago, win32 said:

aside from the fact it seems to render lots of Western-signed HTTPS certificates invalid.

hmm... I don't seem to have that problem on XP. Even then, it's incredible to have Chromium 69 on Windows 2000. :o

Anyways, sertificates seem to be okay for me.

Google Screenshot.png

MSFN Screenshot.png

Edited by Windows 2000

7 hours ago, win32 said:

I just installed it on Windows 2000 and it works great, aside from the fact it seems to render lots of Western-signed HTTPS certificates invalid.

untitled4.thumb.png.7c3fbd13701ce1cf5775310b3b21d087.png

MSFN was also affected; click the hyperlink on the (far) left to proceed to the site.

It also makes all these connections (and a few more); they seem to be American cloud servers. New Moon makes only like 5 connections with a page of MSFN open.

untitled5.thumb.png.27320e19f17e365a394d971f439b72f7.png

I may not remember correctly, but I recall a Chinese web browser called "7-star"...this is another name for the browser?

Oh...it appears this is the same company that maliciously installed 360 browser onto people's computers and claimed it was superior to IE6...whether it actually was, I do not know, but I also know that uninstalling the browser originally resulted in reconnecting to the internet confusing.

If someone here on the forums knows fluent Mandarin, perhaps there's XP-friendly Chromium 69 laying around someone on the internet in the Chinese language...Maxthon too used Chromium 69.

Edited by ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

10 hours ago, Windows 2000 said:

So what are your thoughts on this guys?

it depends on how you worry what china may do to you. all known chinese browser are known to send stats and maybe personal data back to china.

QiHoo 360 company has bad karma that creates fake windows update patch (kb360****.exe and kb370****.exe) to trick users installing their products.

Okay so basically it is not very safe to use.

That was expected... but is there a way to maybe look at the source code of the browser or something like that and recompile it so that it works with 2000/XP/Vista but this time with the original Chrome 69?

5 hours ago, Windows 2000 said:

[click to open Chrome 360's website]

To download it, just click the button in the middle of the page.

I trust more people here are familiar with the English language, am I right? :P

https://browser.360.cn/ee/en.html

(JFYI, also reported on the Vista forum a while back... )

Edited by VistaLover

18 hours ago, Windows 2000 said:

Is there a way to maybe look at the source code of the browser or something like that and recompile it?

Is it open source? I can't find any Github/SourceForge/Codeplex project. If it's not open source, then it would have to be disassembled with IDA Pro, thus producing potentially wrong unreadable everlasting lines of code.

I.e you are better off forking Chromium 69 from the official repository.

That said, I don't see Chinese people willing to cooperate on open source; I mean, if you are going to make a spyware built into your browser, the last thing you wanna do as a company is to make it explicitly readable/obvious with open source code, right?

since chromium is BSD-licensed, downstreams are not required to release their source codes.

and how they create their XP-compatible browser is rather primitive: port every changeset since chromium 49 and excluding/rewriting non XP-compatible to be XP-compatible, by using human resources.

5 hours ago, VistaLover said:

I trust more people here are familiar with the English language, am I right? :P

https://browser.360.cn/ee/en.html

Didn’t know there was an english version of the site. I will fix the link right away.  

Okay, apparently this browser isn’t open sourced as it was advertised, so does that mean that we are all on a dead end here?

On 4/28/2019 at 2:28 PM, Windows 2000 said:

According to HTML5test the last official Chrome for XP gets the score of "489" while Chrome 360 gets the score of "528" which is a score that I have never seen on any other XP browser before.

A word of caution about HTML5test.com: Many of the points awarded by that site are for features that have privacy and/or security concerns: e.g., 15 points if your browser supports geolocation; 10 points for "service workers," a point for the "ping" attribute, etc. A very high score may not be the best news about your browser.

2 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

A word of caution about HTML5test.com: Many of the points awarded by that site are for features that have privacy and/or security concerns: e.g., 15 points if your browser supports geolocation; 10 points for "service workers," a point for the "ping" attribute, etc. A very high score may not be the best news about your browser.

On the positive side of things, I just checked it and it seems that most of the points are from better page rendering on Chrome 360's side. In fact, just as good as the latest Chrome.

I am quite confused by this point. I will probably keep using Chrome 49. I just shared it so that I would at least try to help a little in porting a newer browser to XP. Maybe for an insipration from Chrome 360's source if it were available as I thought it was (as it was advertised as open source) but I guess that is also a lost cause.

I hope if nothing else, at least it has been proven that bare bones Windows XP SP3 can handle Chromium 69 with some efforts.