Minor inconsistencies - The only constant is change

XPerceniol

8 hours ago, Dixel said:

1 (one) bad sector and the disk flies to the garbage bin, it's like it always was , it's like it always ought to be. 

So you have something that contains some 1,465,149,168 (onebillionfourhundredsixtyfivemilliononehundredfortyninethousandsixtyeight) "items" + a considerable number of "spare items", ready to replace any defective one, and you throw in the trash the whole thing. :w00t:

It must be very comfortable living, when you are rich. :unsure:

jaclaz

16 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

I'm so poor ... I put at toothpick on the bottom of a cardboard box, spin it around, and that IS my xbox 360 :)

Well, you have the toothpick at least, around here you have to spin cardboxes in your hands, and few people can get more than xbox 270, most people are between xbox 90 and xbox 180.

jaclaz

• XPerceniol changed the title to Minor inconsistencies - The only constant is change

OK, So my computer is inconstant and has some quirks ... sounds like a perfect match for me made in heaven :)

Seriously; I'm trying to more serious because my face cracks when I try to smile.

No really ... you know, I've never had much, and never wanted/needed much to get by. I'm a simple humble soul as I've learned to appreciate what I DO have, and work with the limitations. The only thing constant is change; so must strive to "adapt" to life as one never (truly) knows whats ahead when our eyes open each day. I've come to live day-by-day and expect the unexpected and try to not expect anything is a constant and expectations of otherwise is a recipe for disappointment. I don't hate on those that are more fortunate than I; rather, I try to remove jealousy form my life as I don't know the road another has traveled and resenting others for their (seemingly) fortunate state of being or wealth leads to bitterness and feelings of envy and inadequacy.

Now, of course, all that is easier said than done and I'm far from perfect, I have my share of quirks and inconsistencies. What is "normal" or "Regular". Sure, I spent far too many years hoping that one day everything would just fall into place and become routine and uniform ... both good and bad comes along with change and there is nothing wrong with 'going with the flow'. It is possible to own possessions, yet still be poor, which means one could own little or nothing and still be rich. 

happiness and contentment with your own life - the key to a truly rich life :yes:

Edited by XPerceniol

Hey! But hard drives have fallen out of fashion, haven't they? Nobody wants to use them anymore, because they perform slower than SSDs. Obviously Windows 10 might be too much with a standard HDD, at least those were the rumours.

If there is one piece of tech that should be easily accessable, it should be classical hard drives. Let it be 10 years old and only have 100 GB (maybe a smaller sized notebook hard drive). You'll never use the whole space if you're not a pro-gamer, playing current games with 10 GB of patches every week, or if you're mining the Chia coin, or building up a video archive.

Finding hard drives is easy. Pick up a broken laptop or have a look inside a A3 photo copier.

I wouldn't continue to work with a hard drive that starts failing and has bad sectors. That's the beginning of the end of that drive. Same goes for USB sticks or floppy disks.

Coming back to the title of this thread: What change (in terms of hard drives)? The only constant are my 20 year old Seagate hard drives, the one with a fish drawn onto it. That must be one of the reliable Seagate models. I've stuffed these computers three times in a moving van, travelled across the country, and these 30 GB hard drives are still in operation. Hopefully they'll do another decade.

Well, that's the question, isn't it? The OP has one bad sector on his HDD. Is that just a fluke, or the start of HDD failure? No way to know at this point.

I'd advise regular backups (which should be done anyway, but if the OP has been putting them off, now's the time to start) and check the SMART stats periodically too. If you see another bad sector show up soon, grab a replacement HDD or SSD, swap them out, and restore the latest backup.

But if it just stays at one measly bad sector for the next several months, probably nothing to worry about.

On 11/10/2021 at 11:38 AM, jaclaz said:

So you have something that contains some 1,465,149,168 (onebillionfourhundredsixtyfivemilliononehundredfortyninethousandsixtyeight) "items" + a considerable number of "spare items", ready to replace any defective one, and you throw in the trash the whole thing. :w00t:

It must be very comfortable living, when you are rich. :unsure:

jaclaz

well I used to use 15GB quantum fireball LCT hdd that had plenty of bad sectors. I had to reinstall Windows many times whenever bad blocks were on same as Windows system files and hosed up. But it still chuigged along over 5 years

I connected that hard drive and it had 25 sectors marked as bad and not remappable.

LCT stands for low cost technology for reason and back in day bad sectors on drive were normal, this drive however had problem where controller overheated so much it turned into red :buehehe:. I saw that on friend once and though they were cold cathodes or led fan that was glowing

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

Are we going on the personal anecdata route?

That disk had a number of bad sectors (all concentrated in a same area), which I believe is a sign of a "head crash", what I did when I salvaged it was to simply find out the area where bad sectors were concentrated and exclude it (+some small area before and after it) from the partitioning, making a volume just before it and an extended partition starting just after it.

jaclaz

Please accept my apologize, guys, for not responding properly. Again; thank you very much for your help and assistance re this matter. I appreciate everyone's advice and am learning a lot about this Seagate that I didn't know before.

I will respond in fully detail hopefully later or tomorrow ... unfortunately, I wasn't really doing very well last week . Again, sorry for that.

Take good care and thanks again.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hi guys..

Yeah, I've done both the Quick scan and Full scan (took 3 hours plus) with Remap ticked, and as you can see, Victoria couldn't find the errors. I tried in safe mode with everything disabled ... chkdsk and still won't remap. As @jaclaz said, its likely due to age and countless 'brown outs' and I'm not shocked.

I think I'm gonna let this go really and just use it until it blows up. I have proper armor wear to protect if any Shrapnel comes from it and will wear protective goggles while using it.

Seriously, I appreciate your advice and I'm not all that worried. To be honest, I'm more concerned about what I would even purchase going forward as I don't like what I see, but, hey, I guess (as I said) change is ahead whether I like it or not. Ugh at the thought.

Long and windy road ahead; it would seem.