Minor inconsistencies - The only constant is change

XPerceniol

Hello and nice day MSFN community..

So.. as of late, when I run 'chkdsk' I'm getting the following errors in my log-file. I'll try to attach my log-file if I can, But below is what (slightly) concerns me.

Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 11 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 11 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 11 unused security descriptors.

Luckily, each time I get:

0 KB in bad sectors.

I've done the full 'scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors' and - boomshakalaka - I'm dandy on my Seagate ST3750640NS SATA Hard Drive.

Any thoughts..

TC

~Sal

Edited by XPerceniol

Oh; and..

Primarily, I use Vipre Antivirus, malwarebytes and superantispyware (only when absolutely needed, then I promptly boot them out in safe mode)...and all give me a clean bill of health.

I wouldn't exactly say I'm losing sleep over it.. Lol :)

Thanks in advance for an advice/suggestions.

L8r, guys.

Oh well..

upon researching "unused index entries from index', it certainly looks like I'm not alone.

Somebody wrote this:

...the only other option is to run chkdsk again, it can take up to 10 or more times running a chkdsk before it fixes all the issues (fixing one issue, may cause another and so on and so on until they are all resolved).

ROFL.. sort of falls in line with my OCD anyway :) just 10 times...I'm going for a record of (at least) a thousand times...haha!

Ok...never-mind.

21 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 11 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 11 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 11 unused security descriptors.

don't fear this! :sneaky:

The result you get is normal!

I have the same thing on all my computers.

Maybe it is caused by booting another OS that records additional attributes for the files? Do you multiboot on that PC?

With one of my testing HDDs at work Win7 was doing some extensive repairs every time i had booted Win10 previously. I think turning off hybrid sleep fixed it.

Hey guys..

Thank you very much for your replies. I've attached my log file in case anybody wants to see it. Yeah, I'm not all that worried really.

You know what.. I do (sort of) multiboot - Acronis True Image preloads a very light linux based kernel at root level that preloads prior to Windows. For those familiar with it, after the machine starts up, I have the option to press F11 to load the recovery program (if enabled). Honestly, It does sometimes give me trouble, and I've had to boot to the CD and again re-enable the F11 Option. The program has saved my butt countless times, but I don't actually need it to be installed on my computer...booting to the CD loads the program just fine.

I really appreciate the reassurance :)

bootex.log

Edited by XPerceniol

I doubt it is Acronis, but you never know...

If indeed it is the culprit and it uses those "unused entries" to mark files for backup (or already backed-up), then cleaning them with chkdsk would either make it do unneeded backups or skip files that should be backed-up.

It may also be another program using those for whatever purpose.

Or it could be an indication for issues with the system itself (hardware, firmware, etc.).

...:blink:

Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING!  I parameter specified.
WARNING!  C parameter specified.
Your drive may still be corrupt even after running CHKDSK.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.                         
Cleaning up 1 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1 unused security descriptors.

Oh well.. You were right @RainyShadow, it wasn't Acronis, I removed it - along with other crap I wasn't using and slimmed out my system to the basics; and as you can see, Its pretty clear I have 'issues' (with my computer, of course hehe...). But, seriously, I'm not experiencing anything weird (yet).

Just to clear up this thread.

It 'is what it is'.. as they say. I'm totally distraught...I'm so not :p

8 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

WARNING!  I parameter specified.
WARNING!  C parameter specified.

This looks suspicious. I've never seen these parameters be used automatically, only when i manually include them out of curiosity.

Start regedit and check the value of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute

Oh.. I greatly appreciate your help with my (trusty old) Dell Optiplex 745.

BootExecute reads exactly as follows:

autocheck autochk *

I currently have autochk in the system32 folder - version 5.1.2600.5512

But, guess what.. I just noticed (literally just now) that my current user didn't have full permission to this application...:dubbio:

EDIT:

Sorry I forgot to say, I did indeed run those parameters out of curiosity; as well. I normally just run chkdsk c: /f, but i decided to give chkdsk c: /f /v /x /i /c a shot to see.

So, I've been reading this article today..

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000139147/windows-unnecessarily-performs-a-chkdsk-after-a-server-reboot

Admittedly, this is moving a bit beyond my knowledge. :huh:

Edited by XPerceniol

Well, if you use these parameters, on the next normal check you may get those "cleanup" messages.

And since you run the check on the system drive, it won't be able to do it right away and will ask you to schedule the check for the next boot...

For now, run chkntfs /D , then chkdsk c: /f /x , then reboot.

After this avoid running chkdsk manually for a while unless you have a real reason to do so. Use the PC normally and see if these cleanups appear again.

Again, your advice is very much appreciated, and I agree, time to just enjoy life...Lol

I've run and scheduled chkdsk c: /f /x and will reboot later and keep my fingers crossed.

Thus far after running chkntfs:

The type of the file system is NTFS.
C: is not dirty.

So I'm Feelin' Groovy :cool: