Moving on from XP Pro to Win 7 Pro

trimis

On 1/9/2021 at 7:49 PM, trimis said:

As a longtime XP Pro user preparing to make the jump to Win 7, any advice on the differences between the two, or major problems likely to result from the transition?

I am studying the books 'Microsoft Windows 7 Simplified' (ISBN#9780470503874) and 'Windows 7 Secrets' (ISBN#9780470508411). For any familiar with these books, any advice on what parts I should focus on to limit 'culture shock'?

Microsoft started spying on us with Windows7. If I were you I'd stick with XP.

52 minutes ago, Racer63 said:

It is a good idea then, to update to Vista. As far as I know it lacks telemetry and it has more or less the same kernel 6.x as 7/8/10.

6 hours ago, Racer63 said:

I, surely, (but please don't call me Shirley) would have to concur :)

~off topic~

I will admit, Vista has been peeking my interest lately. Been doing some research today in search for a legit installation and I don't like what I"m seeing - sure, in a specific part of the world known for scamming, I see lots. I've been scammed in my lifetime about 4 times, and have 'donated' (haha) about 2 grand. Actually, not too bad considering people have been taken for so much more.

Anywhoo..

Back to regularly scheduled programming.

Edited by XPerceniol

12 hours ago, mshultz said:

I used to have a triple boot system with Windows XP, XP x64, and Windows 7 x64.  Windows XP x64 was my main operating system, but when I could no longer use it to buy stuff off eBay, it was time to move on.

For XP roytam's UXP 52 and New Moon 27 and 28 work well with most sites and at least provide some protections since they are ported with Firefox's latest security patches.

11 hours ago, Radish said:

Yeah. Forgot to mention 7+ Taskbar Tweaker. That's a double-plus-good (in the genuine sense) for Win7 and it can be 'installed' as a portable.

A third program for Win7 - Win10 is ShellFolderFixUI. Works great for holding each individual folder the way you configure it.

Edited by DanR20

12 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

I, surely, (but please don't call me Shirley) would have to concur :)

~off topic~

I will admit, Vista has been peeking my interest lately. Been doing some research today in search for a legit installation and I don't like what I"m seeing - sure, in a specific part of the world known for scamming, I see lots. I've been scammed in my lifetime about 4 times, and have 'donated' (haha) about 2 grand. Actually, not too bad considering people have been taken for so much more.

Anywhoo..

Back to regularly scheduled programming.

What a coincidence ! I had been scammed too . And that man turned out to be a "lawyer" ! Who would've thought !? And I feel like I was scammed by HP too , when their expensive laptop went bad in 2007 (after 1 year of light usage). On topic , I think it's still not a problem to obtain a legal Vista DVD , I've seen some cheap retail versions (on the well known auction) . Also , if you have a branded PC , just buy cheap OEM installation disks , it is 100% legal , just make sure the manufacturer matches the logo. 

I still have all of the original Vista DVDs OEM (supplied with the Siemens and some other of my PCs ) and they activate themselves without a problem. Oh , and gotta have the sticker too. If you need service packs , they can be installed later.