What I think about the new forum software and "revamped" UI

asdf2345

I dislike the the new UI because I dislike the rounded nature of the new UI, the broken older browser compatibility, hidden edit button, and most of all, the trimmed email notifications.

Even on mobile, I prefer the desktop UI over the new bottom control iOS copy UI.

New Email Notifications (I use a dark theme): https://i.imgur.com/pRV4oo5.png

Old Email Notifications: https://i.imgur.com/MYUJgbb.png

I don't like it, and the biggest issue to me isn't even with the site itself, it's with the emails being cut off.

Edit: Also, certain parts of the forum are much slower with the new UI and software.

Edited by asdf2345

We had to upgrade out forum software as it was out of date and with the recent spam attack we had, we needed to ensure that we're up to date to make sure things like that aren't a common occurrence in the future.

I'm honestly not sure if there's much that can be done about the rounded UI. I'm happy that Invision didn't decide to go with rounded profile pictures. It seems that has been the current trend and I hate it. But please try and be as patient as possible as xper continues to work on the site. He's currently got his hands full so it might take a little time.

2 minutes ago, Tommy said:

We had to upgrade out forum software as it was out of date and with the recent spam attack we had, we needed to ensure that we're up to date to make sure things like that aren't a common occurrence in the future.

I'm honestly not sure if there's much that can be done about the rounded UI. I'm happy that Invision didn't decide to go with rounded profile pictures. It seems that has been the current trend and I hate it. But please try and be as patient as possible as xper continues to work on the site. He's currently got his hands full so it might take a little time.

Anyone can just grab a random email and make an account and message everyone. It's not that hard, especially if the process is able to be automated. This has nothing to do with forum software.

Edited by asdf2345

Just now, asdf2345 said:

Anyone can just grab a random email and make an account, and message everyone. It's not that hard, especially if the process is able to be automated. This has nothing to do with forum software.

You're right, they can. And that's exactly what this originated from. But the question is, what made our forum a specific target for the attack? Either way, the software still needs to stay up to date otherwise older versions do become unsupported and then you risk of back doors being found and exploited.

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

Either way, the software still needs to stay up to date otherwise older versions do become unsupported and then you risk of back doors being found and exploited.

Says the person using XP Pro x64

8 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

I dislike the the new UI because I dislike the rounded nature of the new UI, the broken older browser compatibility, hidden edit button, and most of all, the trimmed email notifications.

Edit: Also, certain parts of the forum are much slower with the new UI and software.

I dislike it very much too ! But it's not only for "older" browsers , lookie here  https://msfn.org/board/topic/182240-missing-buttoncontrol/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-1193716 it is broken for friefox 68 - 78 too. And yeah , I noticed slowness too . It's much less responsive overall now. Will you please create a topic were one can vote ? 

8 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

Even on mobile, I prefer the desktop UI over the new bottom control iOS copy UI.

New Email Notifications (I use a dark theme): https://i.imgur.com/pRV4oo5.png

Old Email Notifications: https://i.imgur.com/MYUJgbb.png

I don't like it, and the biggest issue to me isn't even with the site itself, it's with the emails being cut off.

I'm with you on this.

I respect xper for making the decision.  Most people don't like change and this community, in particular, enjoys keeping an old, favorite thing the same for as long as possible.

1 hour ago, Raheem Jamali said:

Can't we backport the old theme to work with new software?

The only person who could do that is xper and he's got a lot on his plate as it is, so I don't know if he'd be willing to do it or not. But that's where the fine line comes in as well. We need to be very careful when it comes the licensing agreement. Especially considering instead of Invision Power Board it is now referred to as Invision Power Community, I don't know if there's a difference or not. I know it sounds trivial but some of these companies can get fussy if you use resourses from other licensed software and considering xper paid for this upgrade, it wasn't free so it might come with different terms. Not saying that's the case but you always have to read the fine print to see what you are and aren't allowed to do.