How should I install vista vmware tools?

Jaguarek62

2 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

Are you trying to install VMWare Tools to the host or the guest?

VMWare Tools is an ISO, you mount into the ODD of the VM. There should be a option to set this in the VM Properties when powered off.

I know. My host os is Windows 8.1 running vmware workstation 16. The vm tools installers just gave me an error that vista is not supported.

I had a huge problem with version 16 after enabling aero in windows vista. dwm.exe was using a lot of ram and it kept raising and raising until it just crashed because it ran out of ram

I use 15.5.7 and I don't have this problem anymore + I don't need to manually download the correct version of vmware tools (I mean it downloads the correct ones)

https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/downloads/details?downloadGroup=PLAYER-1557&productId=800&rPId=47861

Does it? Do OpenGL applications work? Last time I checked, the driver DLL was incompatible, so it falls back to GDI software rendering. Not much works with that due to lack of features and it's very slow.

Vista is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things and nobody tests on it, so some things broke even before it was declared as unsupported.