Vista on ryzen platform 2020 update

Jaguarek62

Hi,

for the kicks and giggles I tried installing vista sp2 on my ryzen 5 1600. for some reason even on legacy boot and mbr format, vista fails to boot after first part of the setup. It ends up in this bsod: 0xc00021a (status access violation). Anyone here knows what that means exactly? also it is an hdd no ssd, pure sata hdd.

MS deleted their documentation on this particular bug check.

http://web.archive.org/web/20171109144526/https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0xc000021a--status-system-process-terminated

This error occurs when a user-mode subsystem, such as WinLogon or the Client Server Run-Time Subsystem (CSRSS), has been fatally compromised and security can no longer be guaranteed. In response, the operating system switches to kernel mode. Microsoft Windows cannot run without WinLogon or CSRSS. Therefore, this is one of the few cases where the failure of a user-mode service can shut down the system.

Mismatched system files can also cause this error. This can occur if you have restored your hard disk from a backup. Some backup programs might skip restoring system files that they determine are in use.

What is your AGESA version?

36 minutes ago, win32 said:

Yes. Vista gets unstable with newer versions of AGESA, but I am unsure of which versions are stable and which ones are unstable.

Now that you mentioned it, I upgraded my bios back in 2019 because it was incorrectly reporting cpu frequency on windows 8.1. The bios has a "feature" that lets you pick your operating system or if you don't it will automatically detect it. It says that windows 7 and 8.1 are no longer supported, but it works great on both operating systems. Maybe it broke vista though? also vista gets picked up as "Windows XP or other legacy microsoft product" this is a rough translation. Windows 7 is reporting as "Windows 6.1.7601 in uefi mode" and finally Windows 8.1 gets reported as "Windows 8.1" :D 

22 hours ago, win32 said:

Yes. Vista gets unstable with newer versions of AGESA, but I am unsure of which versions are stable and which ones are unstable.

So I temporarily downgraded my bios to 2017 one and vista installation gets little bit further. Now I get Windows is preparing to start for the first time (again rough translation) and after this finishes I get different bsod. this time it says this: Hal initialization failed

• 6 months later...
On 12/31/2020 at 2:32 PM, Jaguarek62 said:

So I temporarily downgraded my bios to 2017 one and vista installation gets little bit further.

Would you please tell what is your mobo ? I'm thinking of upgrading one of my systems and hope to find a working motherboard . It seems win32 won't be fixing Haswell bug with 64-bit version so I decided to try AMD (though I always try to avoid AMD at all costs) . Some banned member wrote that he was able to run Vista with B450 chipset (!) Can't confirm any of this ...

59 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Would you please tell what is your mobo ? I'm thinking of upgrading one of my systems and hope to find a working motherboard . It seems win32 won't be fixing Haswell bug with 64-bit version so I decided to try AMD (though I always try to avoid AMD at all costs) . Some banned member wrote that he was able to run Vista with B450 chipset (!) Can't confirm any of this ...

My motherboard is asus prime b350-plus

never succesfully installed vista on it though

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

Thanks , do you think all those videos Vista + Ryzen are fakes ? 

No, not at all, I know for a fact, that it is possible, but not with my pc. My gpu is probably uefi only and that is the culprit

@Jaguarek62 , so I'm assuming you did overclock your CPU . What's your voltages /frequencies ?  I need to have 4.3 GHZ (at least). I was looking for a mobo here , but they don't have anything older than 2020. So it will be a newer AGESA. What was the lowest version you were able to downgrade to ? Also , perhaps you will enlighten me on what's the difference between B450 and B450M ? Thanks

EDIT : found a board with the ordinary B450 (not M) , the one from the video . I see you have experience with AMD , what CPU could you advise ? I need something that will reach 4.3GHZ with sane voltages . 

Edited by Dixel

On 7/5/2021 at 2:45 PM, Dixel said:

@Jaguarek62 , so I'm assuming you did overclock your CPU . What's your voltages /frequencies ?  I need to have 4.3 GHZ (at least). I was looking for a mobo here , but they don't have anything older than 2020. So it will be a newer AGESA. What was the lowest version you were able to downgrade to ? Also , perhaps you will enlighten me on what's the difference between B450 and B450M ? Thanks

EDIT : found a board with the ordinary B450 (not M) , the one from the video . I see you have experience with AMD , what CPU could you advise ? I need something that will reach 4.3GHZ with sane voltages . 

Since you have b450 you can use ryzen 5 3600 maybe?

I upgraded to it from my ryzen 5 1600 and it was amazing upgrade. I’m running it at 4.5 ghz with 1.35 volts. Cooling is managed by be quiet cpu cooler (it was pretty cheap around 50 euro and it is amazing). I don’t know if you want higher core counts, but ryzen platform is pretty bad for overclockers. These chips rarely reach more than their stock frequency without seriously overkill voltages. My motherboard dates back to 2017 and it is still going strong. I love amd for their support and upgrade path. Meanwhile intel is busy forcing people to buy new boards for their "new" or shall we say new skylake cpus.

@Jaguarek62 , I do not need many cores , I need a strong dual or quad core CPU with real cores (no hyperthreading). 1.35 is considered a good result ? I tried to avoid AMD because they were too hot and power hungry . And now the choices are very limited ! I have had various CPUs over all of my years in computing and only a small percentage where they could do a good overclock . I agree about Intel greediness , but you said it yourself - AMD Ryzen is pretty bad . I do not know what to choose . I was also considering this , even though this one is locked. Why ? Some of my software do NOT run on core i3-i7 at all , but runs OK on Pentiums and AMD .Thanks

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182701-h410-mobo-lga1200-comet-lake-with-vista-x86-considering-upgrade/