Windows Vista in 2021 and beyond

Win10-Hater

The war against Windows 10 is going on and Vista is slowly winning (with kernelex in development) but with newer, more powerful hardware being developed, Vista compatible hardware (especially hardware from 2005-2008) is slowly getting obsolete. Still, I plan on using Vista until at least 2023. Vista holdouts: you can share your plans of using Vista in 2021 and beyond here.

1 hour ago, Win10-Hater said:

Vista compatible hardware (especially hardware from 2005-2008) is slowly getting obsolete

it's not that bad... yet

you can get x79 motherboards and xeons with lots of cores / high frequencies, 64gb of ram or maybe even more (?)

they aren't cheap but you need to pay high prices for the best possible performance 

Well that's interesting and I thought about this as well... The Extended Kernel gives Vista users Windows 7 (SP1) APIs, however I think that Software developers, especially Google Inc. (Chrome + Chromium) will end their support for Windows 7 in 2021. I dont think that Windows 7 will get browser updates till end of ESU in 2023.. With the end of Windows 7, we will not be able to use newer browser versions on Vista as well.

My theory: Chrome will end their support before Firefox, like it happened with Windows XP/Vista and Firefox will move Windows 7 to the ESR-Channel in 2022. ESR is probably supported for another good year, so updates will ultimatly end at the end of 2023 (MY THEORY ONLY!)

So, Extended Kernel must be re-developed to get APIs from Windows 8(.1), which will sure be harder than with Windows 7's APIs I guess.

Anyway, everything the developers have reached by now is way better than the obsolent Chrome 49/Firefox 52 browers. You just have to think about the fact that Google and Mozilla have officialy ended their support for Vista 2/4 years ago and that, thanks to extended kernel, Vista users will be able to browse the web way more secure and with more features! So whatever happens, I am very grateful for the development team behind Ex.K. and hope that they will soon be able to develop a x86 based Kernel, so that maybe Office 2013+, LibreOffice 6.0+, Spotify, Steam, Adobe Reader, Windows Essentails 2012 and some more cool stuff will work on Vista. The newer versions will definitly make Windows Vista feel way more polished and modern again.

Edited by yoltboy01

19 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

So, Extended Kernel must be re-developed to get APIs from Windows 8(.1), which will sure be harder than with Windows 7's APIs I guess.

I suspect that Chrome (and presumably  Edge) will end support for Windows 8.1 at the same time as 7, just as they did for XP and Vista (vanilla) in 2016. Apple iTunes has already ended support for both, and Avira antivirus plans to do the same. (We might say that Win7 is the new XP and 8.1 is the new Vista, and many software makers may give 8.1 the “Vista treatment” because it has few users.) So it may be Windows 10 APIs that are needed by 2022. Of course I agree that Firefox support should last longer than Chrome, but how much longer will depend on the number of Win7 diehards who are using Firefox.

5 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I suspect that Chrome (and presumably  Edge) will end support for Windows 8.1 at the same time as 7, just as they did for XP and Vista (vanilla) in 2016. Apple iTunes has already ended support for both, and Avira antivirus plans to do the same. (We might say that Win7 is the new XP and 8.1 is the new Vista, and many software makers may give 8.1 the “Vista treatment” because it has few users.) So it may be Windows 10 APIs that are needed by 2022. Of course I agree that Firefox support should last longer than Chrome, but how much longer will depend on the number of Win7 diehards who are using Firefox.

I've seen google only mentioning windows 7. Windows 8.1 was not even mentioned. 

Important: We will continue to fully support Chrome on Windows 7® for a minimum of 24 months after Microsoft’s End of Life date, until at least January 15, 2022.

2 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

I've seen google only mentioning windows 7. Windows 8.1 was not even mentioned. 

Important: We will continue to fully support Chrome on Windows 7® for a minimum of 24 months after Microsoft’s End of Life date, until at least January 15, 2022.

The fact that Google never even mentions Windows 8.1 isn’t necessarily a good sign I’m afraid. They supported XP for 2 years longer than M$, which was more than they originally promised, but they never mentioned Vista until November 10, 2015, “as well as Windows Vista...starting April 2016.”

11 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Don't forget Windows 8.0, which is ignored more than 8.1 by most software developers.

• 2 months later...
On 1/1/2021 at 2:09 AM, Win10-Hater said:

Don't forget Windows 8.0, which is ignored more than 8.1 by most software developers.

I don't understand why 8.0 would be supported, it's like complaining Windows Vista without Service Packs is unsupported.
Windows 8.1 isn't a different OS, it's Windows 8 SP1.

Also have plans to continue using Windows Vista. I have all updates including Post-EoL. My Vista-machine is not used to run any mission critical applications so I don't think that it is a bad idea of using Vista in 2021 since my hardware is not that slow even by today's standards. I don't even think that I will need Extended kernel in the near future. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gonna use a Dell Latitude e6420 as my main computer with a combo of Windows Vista Enterprise (64-bit). The things that I know I'm gonna use, this forum has figured out someway to fix/utilize it. My laptop is from 2011/2012, but I can utilize it, if streaming is an issue, i'll try different settings and whatnot, not going to replace an old piece of tech because of one issue, i like old tech.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2021 at 11:40 AM, kcznsk said:

I don't understand why 8.0 would be supported, it's like complaining Windows Vista without Service Packs is unsupported.
Windows 8.1 isn't a different OS, it's Windows 8 SP1.

Actually, Windows 8.0 is kinda it's own thing.

1: It has its own NT number at 6.2 (Windows 8.1 is 6.3)

2: Windows 8.1 drivers crash Windows 8

3: im out of reasons lmao

6 minutes ago, iUser04 said:

yes, it is nt 6.2, but honestly it was really bad. Some of the worst ui decisions were made in this os. 8.1 is what windows 8 should have been.

On 4/28/2021 at 6:56 AM, iUser04 said:

1. Yes, but so do winXP and winXP x64, but no one considers them to be different OSes

2. Do they?

3 minutes ago, kcznsk said:

1. Yes, but so do winXP and winXP x64, but no one considers them to be different OSes

2. Do they?

yeah but you gotta consider XP 64 really is its own thing too. it didn't even get a SP3