Windows Vista in 2021 and beyond

Win10-Hater

9 minutes ago, iUser04 said:

yeah but you gotta consider XP 64 really is its own thing too. it didn't even get a SP3

I don't think getting an extra SP should qualify to being different things. Windows xp 32 bits is the same as windows xp x64. Some 32 bits programs might not work on it, but then you could argue that 32 bit vista is different than 64 bit vista because 64 bit programs don't work on it, for example.

I think M$ only changed the NT version of 8.1 for marketing purposes, just like they called it Windows 8.1 instead of Windows 8 SP1, they learnt that a bad launch makes the OS suffer for the rest of its life with vista and decided to give it a new name.

50 minutes ago, kcznsk said:

I don't think getting an extra SP should qualify to being different things. Windows xp 32 bits is the same as windows xp x64. Some 32 bits programs might not work on it, but then you could argue that 32 bit vista is different than 64 bit vista because 64 bit programs don't work on it, for example.

I think M$ only changed the NT version of 8.1 for marketing purposes, just like they called it Windows 8.1 instead of Windows 8 SP1, they learnt that a bad launch makes the OS suffer for the rest of its life with vista and decided to give it a new name.

Well that's not the only difference but that's what came to mind, and about 8.1 yeah i agree. They probably didn't make it SP1 so they could separate it from 8. But 8.1 is quite different under the hood.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 12:57 AM, kcznsk said:

Windows xp 32 bits is the same as windows xp x64.

not exactly

WinXP x86/32bit is NT 5.1.2600

WinXP x64 is NT 5.2.3790 (shares same "kernel" as Server 2003)

On 5/1/2021 at 12:39 AM, iUser04 said:

yeah but you gotta consider XP 64 really is its own thing too. it didn't even get a SP3

that's because XP x64 uses the Server 2003 kernel codebase

Edited by erpdude8

On 4/28/2021 at 3:03 AM, Jaguarek62 said:

yes, it is nt 6.2, but honestly it was really bad. Some of the worst ui decisions were made in this os. 8.1 is what windows 8 should have been.

yup, Win8.0 (NT 6.2) removed both the start button & start menu (the UI was barely a mess there)
Win8.1 only restored the start button but not the start menu

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2020 at 11:01 PM, Win10-Hater said:

The war against Windows 10 is going on and Vista is slowly winning (with kernelex in development) but with newer, more powerful hardware being developed, Vista compatible hardware (especially hardware from 2005-2008) is slowly getting obsolete. Still, I plan on using Vista until at least 2023. Vista holdouts: you can share your plans of using Vista in 2021 and beyond here.

i really agree with you saying

Windows Vista: "The "Wow" Starts Now"

Windows 10: "The "Ow" Starts Now"

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/30/2020 at 8:31 PM, Win10-Hater said:

The war against Windows 10 is going on and Vista is slowly winning (with kernelex in development) but with newer, more powerful hardware being developed, Vista compatible hardware (especially hardware from 2005-2008) is slowly getting obsolete. Still, I plan on using Vista until at least 2023. Vista holdouts: you can share your plans of using Vista in 2021 and beyond here.

Windows Vista will have Windows 10 functionalities and will be taken care of. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just built a Vista Ultimate beast with following specs, had most parts lying around after doing a couple upgrades to builds of relatives/friends, love Vista

CPU: Xeon W3680

MB: Asus P6t SE X58

RAM: 6x4gb @ 1866c9

GPU: MSI HD 7970 OC

SSD: 500gb Sata

3 hours ago, Mafiatounes said:

HD 7970

Sorry, for being honest, a very weak card. 12 years old. Similar to GTX680 (ar best!). 

A Vista beast would need to have Titan X 12GB or smth like that. Again, sorry !

Your RAM is fine.

3 hours ago, Mafiatounes said:

I just built a Vista Ultimate beast with following specs, had most parts lying around after doing a couple upgrades to builds of relatives/friends, love Vista

Xeon W3680

Also very dated. I have a similar one in my internet PC and it's no good. Very weak.

15 hours ago, Mafiatounes said:

MSI HD 7970 OC

any issues with drivers? the last official release was in dec of 2013, so almost 10 years ago
I was looking to buy an r9 290x since the price was very good, but then I discovered that it does not have win xp drivers (I have vista+xp dual boot) and a gtx 970 is so cheap now that it makes no sense to mod amd drivers while on the nvidia side you can very easily mod the driver to work on xp

still, your experience may matter to others looking to buy a gpu for their vista pc:) (Yes, the titan x is one of the best gpus for vista but not everyone can afford one, or even find one locally)

On 2/23/2023 at 11:52 PM, D.Draker said:

Also very dated. I have a similar one in my internet PC and it's no good. Very weak.

I know it is dated, i re-used parts lying around still for that era it is a beast for gaming also compatibility with XP / Vista and 7 was required so not much options

I know the Titan X is the best but i am not spending that amount on this system and it won't be needed for my use, if i need more power i will use my "current" pc

Edited by Mafiatounes

On 2/24/2023 at 3:09 PM, winvispixp said:

any issues with drivers? the last official release was in dec of 2013, so almost 10 years ago
I was looking to buy an r9 290x since the price was very good, but then I discovered that it does not have win xp drivers (I have vista+xp dual boot) and a gtx 970 is so cheap now that it makes no sense to mod amd drivers while on the nvidia side you can very easily mod the driver to work on xp

still, your experience may matter to others looking to buy a gpu for their vista pc:) (Yes, the titan x is one of the best gpus for vista but not everyone can afford one, or even find one locally)

No issues at the moment but i did not use it extensively yet will update once i do since the build i did not use it a lot yet aside from time consuming software updates/drivers/patches and so on on each platform, only thing i had to mod my case a bit to fit the GPU (small piece had to be cut out of a hdd tray panel with a multi tool) :yes:

I looked at R9 290x as well but won't work with xp which was a bummer, Titan X is too expensive for this build, but the 7970 will do just fine it is equivalent to +-R9 280x/GTX 960 my use case for this system is to have games on each of the OS'es from their respective era.