Comodo Firewall - Last Win XP Version

Monroe

19 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (set from automatic to manual)

Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service I've DISABLED on 2011.

Now, thanks to you, I woke up - and DISABLED (from Running on Automatic) these two other services:

Network Connections Service - in French: Connexions réseau

BUT, with disabled:

Windows Management Instrumentation (in Properties, under Recovery tab - notched 3 x "do nothing", hmm Windows do reset after 1 day?..)

Now: svchost.exe ( -k netsvcs ) has now 9.9 MB (before change: 17.77 MB) - so saving 7.87 MB

..and RAM used (after restart Windows and attend slightly..2 minutes) has now 268 MB (before change: 275 MB) - so saving 7 MB.

In the Event Viewer - new DCOM errors... so nothing to worry, maybe 

EDIT:

Windows Management Instrumentation - inFrench: Infrastructure de gestion Windows; if disabled, then no more dependencies info in Dependencies tab under all services! Fortunately Windows gives the error sound so I can realize, that this service is stopped... So I set it to MANUAL.:w00t:

- And my "firewall" is SterJo NetStalker v1.4. Very sufficient to me, not so heavy:D

Edited by msfntor

1 hour ago, msfntor said:

Now: svchost.exe ( -k netsvcs ) has now 9.9 MB

I'm at 6.2 MB.  Do I win the day's Door Prize?

edit - correction, 9.3 MB.  Added wrong instances first time.  I also prefer to KEEP the Network Connections Service (no wi-fi icon in systray without it and I prefer to keep the systray icon).

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

3 hours ago, msfntor said:

Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service I've DISABLED on April, 2011.

Now, thanks to you, I woke up - and DISABLED (from Running on Automatic) these two other services:

Network Connections Service

Windows Management Instrumentation (in Properties, under Recovery tab - notched 3 x "do nothing", hmm Windows do reset after 1 day?..)

Now: svchost.exe ( -k netsvcs ) has now 9.9 MB (before change: 17.77 MB) - so saving 7.87 MB

..and RAM used (after restart Windows and attend slightly..2 minutes) has now 268 MB (before change: 275 MB) - so saving 7 MB.

In the Event Viewer - new DCOM errors... so nothing to worry, maybe 

- And my "firewall" is SterJo NetStalker v1.4. Very sufficient to me, not so heavy:D

Great! I keep DCOM DCOM Server Process Launcher to "manual" and only enable when needed, acutely. This are much faster now, indeed, and so far so good.

Edited by XPerceniol

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I'm at 6.2 MB.  Do I win the day's Door Prize?

edit - correction, 9.3 MB.  Added wrong instances first time.  I also prefer to KEEP the Network Connections Service (no wi-fi icon in systray without it and I prefer to keep the systray icon).

I once won a thesaurus as a raffle door prize - I was lost for words. What would you all do without me ... hehe :dubbio:

Made EDIT to my precedent post:

Windows Management Instrumentation - inFrench: Infrastructure de gestion Windows; if disabled, then no more dependencies info in Dependencies tab under all services! Fortunately Windows gives the error sound so I can realize, that this service is stopped... So I set it to MANUAL.:w00t:

9 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

I keep DCOM DCOM Server Process Launcher to "manual" and only enable when needed, acutely. This are much faster now, indeed, and so far so good.

Attention, read on the web:

After disabled,  "lots of stuff doesn't work, including the Windows Services utility!...and System Restore!" ... "having to do a System Repair using OEM install CD" !...

Everyone's preferences will differ.

I personally have never used (and most have been removed from my slipstreamed install media so are never "installed") things like "System Restore", "Automatic Updates", "Defrag", "Windows Firewall", "Indexing", "Diagnostics", "Font Cache", et cetera.

I would rather have a fast and efficient OS then have "background processes" DEGRADING performance.

I once filed a COMPLAINT with upper-management to get the local IT Department to cease-and-decist with them DEFRAGGING my hard drive!

Thank you, guys ... Yeah I don't ever use "System Restore", "Automatic Updates". System Restore never worked right anyway for me. I use linux based Acronis True Image instead when my computer becomes unstable. Never use "Indexing", "Diagnostics", "Font Cache" anymore either. I do enable it when something (defrag) calls for it; otherwise its Manual. I do Defrag, is that bad? Then after I defrag, I usually use Privazer and shellbag_analyzer_cleaner and wipe the free space and sure enough there is stuff lurking in the sectors. 

Edited by XPerceniol

17 minutes ago, XPerceniol said:

I do Defrag, is that bad?

In my opinion, yeah, that's BAD, but it's one of those topics that have hardcore believers "for" and hardcore believers "against".

We live in an NTFS World.  Some of us even live in an SSD World.  But even those of us still spinning "platters", we live in a 7200rpm World and not a 5400rpm World.

I believe in QUANTITATIVE and MEASURABLE results - don't tell me defrag makes your system "faster" unless you have DATA to back up that "placebo effect".

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

8 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Everyone's preferences will differ.

I personally have never used (and most have been removed from my slipstreamed install media so are never "installed") things like "System Restore", "Automatic Updates", "Defrag", "Windows Firewall", "Indexing", "Diagnostics", "Font Cache", et cetera.

I would rather have a fast and efficient OS then have "background processes" DEGRADING performance.

I once filed a COMPLAINT with upper-management to get the local IT Department to cease-and-decist with them DEFRAGGING my hard drive!

I use sometimes "System Restore"... and "Defrag", for this I use rather MyDefrag.

On 1/16/2021 at 5:50 AM, genieautravail said:

Hello,

The last version of Comodo Firewall fully compatible with XP is the 8.4.0.5165. :rolleyes:

After this release, you begin to have issues with the icon in the system tray and more and more issues after that. :wacko:

I've had no problems with version 12.0.0.6818. It runs very light on the system, and with the configuration I am using the security is very strong. Any unknown software that gets on the system is automatically blocked. Because the security is so tight, I need to temporarily disable the protection before installing new software. Other than that, it doesn't require hardly any attention and just works quietly in the background.

I used the information in this tutorial to install and configure Comodo Personal Firewall 12.0.0.6818:

https://malwaretips.com/threads/comodofix-set-up-comodo-for-trouble-free-protection.93291/