Comodo Firewall - Last Win XP Version

Monroe

5 minutes ago, Monroe said:

Yes, I just got the file downloaded ... I may have had the dot included before as RainyShadow suggested. I didn't have any problems this time.

I will work with the Comodo Firewall and see how it works. I want to also try PC Tools Firewall Plus 7.0.0.123 as I mentioned earlier.

I haven't done anything yet however as I have been working with the Zone Alarm version that I have had on my computer for years. This version ... ZA v4.5.594.000 seems to be just fine working with the VPN I now have.

I have almost had the VPN service for a month now and ZA and the VPN seem to be working OK together. I have run some leak tests at various times and everything appears to be fine.

However, one these days soon I will remove ZA and try the Comodo FW and the PC Tools FW. I am curious how they work. I have a backup so I can get my setup with ZA back up in a hurry ... or I may decide to change the FW to one of the other two.

I didn't know too much about a VPN and I have really spent some time reading on VPNs and firewalls, various leak tests, IP address testing. Everything seems to be OK so far since I am still using Windows XP.

I should have had this setup years ago with going to different places with 'free WiFi' ... I guess I was lucky not to have any problems.

You do not need firewall lot if got properly secured lan. Proper non upnp firewall on router does good job keeping outside intruders off. Software firewall helps if worm hijacks system on internal network to minimise damage. But outside it on those free wifi networks it can be bad unless vpn and firewall.

15 minutes ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

You do not need firewall lot if got properly secured lan. Proper non upnp firewall on router does good job keeping outside intruders off. Software firewall helps if worm hijacks system on internal network to minimise damage. But outside it on those free wifi networks it can be bad unless vpn and firewall.

That was a fast reply ... yes, when I would be at the library or McDonalds I was never too comfortable when on the WiFi but I live in a country type area and not around a large area where people might be looking and searching for information.

Again, thanks for your help and to the other members who also had information to share. When I do try those two other firewalls I will post my thoughts on them over ZoneAlarm.

Edited by Monroe
spell

OK ... yesterday I removed ZAlarm and tried these two firewalls ... PC Tools Firewall Plus 7.0.0.123 and the Comodo firewall/internet security suite 6818.

The PC Tools Firewall Plus 7.0.0.123 was good, seemed to be a very good firewall for Win XP. I didn't notice really too much difference between it and the ZA version I have been using. The layout is nice, maybe a little nicer and it seems to work OK on my computer with the VPN.

The Comodo firewall/internet security 6818 version would not install on my XP setup. A window popped up saying this version was not for Windows XP but only for Windows 7 and higher.

As I said earlier,  the PC Tools FW was good but I decided to just stick with the ZA version I have been using. I had got the Pro version years ago and it seems to still be OK with my XP setup. I didn't see much difference between the two. They both do the same job very well.

Edited by Monroe
sp

7 hours ago, Monroe said:

OK ... yesterday I removed ZAlarm and tried these two firewalls ... PC Tools Firewall Plus 7.0.0.123 and the Comodo firewall/internet security suite 6818.

The PC Tools Firewall Plus 7.0.0.123 was good, seemed to be a very good firewall for Win XP. I didn't notice really too much difference between it and the ZA version I have been using. The layout is nice, maybe a little nicer and it seems to work OK on my computer with the VPN.

The Comodo firewall/internet security 6818 version would not install on my XP setup. A window popped up saying this version was not for Windows XP but only for Windows 7 and higher.

As I said earlier,  the PC Tools FW was good but I decided to just stick with the ZA version I have been using. I had got the Pro version years ago and it seems to still be OK with my XP setup. I didn't see much difference between the two. They both do the same job very well.

Odd. You sure version number on exe properties was 6818?

Mr.Scienceman2000 ... I just checked the version that I downloaded from that link. It does appear to be a different version. When I right click on the download and then hit the Properties / Version tab ... I am getting this version number 12.2.2.7098. I've had that happen before after downloading a program that is supposed to be the version I'm after and then it's not that version.

This is the download name ... 'cispremium_only_installer'. So they have changed the download. I will download it again to check.

---------------------------

OK, I downloaded from the link again and I did get the correct version this time ... v12.0.0.6818. I am not sure what happened before except that I may have started the download with some of the link missing.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190502052352/http://cdn.download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/1000/standalone/cispremium_only_installer.exe

I will check this out later this week. Sorry for the confusion but your link was good.

Edited by Monroe
add

• 11 months later...
On 1/16/2021 at 5:50 AM, genieautravail said:

Hello,

The last version of Comodo Firewall fully compatible with XP is the 8.4.0.5165. :rolleyes:

After this release, you begin to have issues with the icon in the system tray and more and more issues after that. :wacko:

Ok ... so, I'll look harder for Version 8. I can't find my old version and I see crazy links. I've downloaded two but I would never run those installers - when you have to use the dreaded green button to get it, that don't seem correct to me. I'll try 7zp and see, but hopefully I can find the right one. Thank you as I missed this thread.

Take good care.

EDIT: Scanned and they are malware lol ... need to keep looking, I guess.

Edited by XPerceniol

Ok. gonna give this a go this week and I'd like to rid myself of ESENT tracking and see how that goes. I'm not expecting this to be faster, in fact, it much better with no firewall at all and the XP one is useless, but...

https://comodo-internet-security.en.uptodown.com/windows/download/43948

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/download/comodo-internet-security-6-0-264710

I think I'll work with Version 6 and I have 2 that are not malware from those links. I might still not run the installers and see if 7zip will unpack them and I can run portable to not start automatically. Sometimes uptown is strange.

i have hae PC Tools Firewall Plus Setup 7.0.0.123; as well.

Will report back with any results if I don't "chicken out'. Haha :P

12 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I suggest version 2.4.18.184.  If you can't find the installer then I can PM it to you.

image.png.33e71b5e62d66134f81995081878e9f2.png

Thank you!

Yes, that would be very kind. I've been reading now and all the sites for that version come up a 404. Do you know if the pro version requires a license? Do I have to pay for it?

Would really appreciate your PM. Sort of concerned that I have this one:

Comodo Desktop Installer 1.0.1.9. I hate exe installers because I never know what else its doing.

No rush, when you get around to it - I"m not in a hurry.

19 minutes ago, XPerceniol said:

Do you know if the pro version requires a license? Do I have to pay for it?

It's free, no activation required.  You have the correct file.  Lightweight, fast, efficient, parent-based rules (ie, you can block your default browser from accessing the internet if launched by another browser but allow it access if launched from a shortcut on the desktop).

image.png.d068745d289e7c91eb06d01df94679fc.png

YAY!!

Holy smoke this is wild, popup every time on the tray when something happens ... I'm not used to this security, the normal firewall wasn't doing anything at all. Now to learn how to actually use it this week. I have NEVER until this very day used anything other than the usless native firewall!

system is a bit slower, but to be expected with more security in place, but not too bad.

I'm living proof - ESENT is no longer on my system at all. Well, it is to please the registry but its an empty dll. As I said (and I tried again) the firewall will not start at all so this is proof enough for me that the M$ firewall relied on that telemetry dll. Later this week when I get things straight, I'll delete it totally and remove the reg entries and let you all know! However, Windows Windows Management Instrumentation service tried to start on manual ... yeah right; disabled now ;)

I'm very excited to say the very least!

Thank you everyone very much for your help. See, this is why we are all here to help each other.

spacer.png

Edited by XPerceniol

That's always been my favorite firewall by far, and I've used HUNDREDS back in the day.

MOST firewalls out there are made for "grandmas and grandpas" with SIMPLISTIC rules like "this is a web browser" or "this is an email client" and then the "pos" ASSUMES a set of ports to allow/block, ASSUMES tcp and udp actions, et cetera.

ALL firewalls (and antivirus!) will "slow your computer down", but I think you'll be quite satisfied with that version of Comodo.

Back in the day before I modified all OEM "installers" and ported all software to "portable", the parent-based rules in that firewall were a godsend!

When an "installer" takes you to a HOME PAGE, for example, that firewall will BLOCK that access because the "parent" isn't the parent that NORMALLY launches your "default" web browser.

I actually use a setup with Internet Explorer still set as my "default" but Internet Explorer is disabled, it cannot "launch" on my computer so anything that "tries to" just 'times out'.

Much more "security" [there's that d@mn word again!] when your computer doesn't have a "default" web browser.

1 hour ago, dmiranda said:

Hmm. What is that? Mind to expand?

Hi there ...

Unless you are prepared with backups, I would be cautious when deleting or editing these telemetry dlls baked into XP. Me ... I'm just that way.

You can read about it in the 360chrome threads as I see it has been discussed several times and people were wondering what this is and why it it tracking every process and logging in the registry. I'll try to find links today for you. Basically, I'm now running without it (playing games - posting - creating song files with Audacity today - enjoying videos - writing/journal) everything is great and the new firewall is ACTUALLY using less resources than running;

Network Connections Service (set from automatic to manual)

Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (set from automatic to manual)

Windows Management Instrumentation (set from automatic to disabled because it start on manual)

Both [cpf.exe and cmdagent.exe] are only using small amount in comparison.

Will write more later as I'm still learning it myself :) 

Edited by XPerceniol