Comodo Firewall - Last Win XP Version

Monroe

I am looking for this version of the Comodo Firewall v12.0.0.6870 ... it is listed as the last version to be supported with XP and Vista. I have not been able to locate a download location yet. Dead links or no links so far, nothing that I can find at the Comodo website for older versions or File Hippo ... also a few other sites have come up empty.

From the Comodo website about this version:

Comodo Firewall v12.0.0.6870

09 July 2019

This version will no longer be updated on Windows XP and Windows Vista essentially making it the last supported version for those OSes. This is due to SHA1 deprecation. Future versions will also have a minimum system requirement on Windows 7 of Service Pack 1.

Appreciate any information.

Edited by Monroe
sp

1 hour ago, Monroe said:

I have not been able to locate a download location yet. Dead links or no links so far, nothing that I can find at the Comodo website for older versions or File Hippo ... also a few other sites have come up empty.

Try harder :P

Literally the first search result - https://www.afterdawn.com/software/security/firewalls/comodo_personal_firewall.cfm/v12_0_0_6870

On the download page click the link to "download the software without the installer"

> Literally the first search result...

Boah, just took a look, but no thanks. Afterdawn is bundling Adware with it, what a crappy site. Yes as you point out there's also a "normal" link, but without your hint that's too easily overlooked.

But google spits out more working links, just a bit further this clean one, with original download links from comodo server - still working:
https://malwaretips.com/threads/comodo-internet-security-2019-v12-0-0-6870-%E2%80%93-released.93658/

Well I was at that website and saw the message about 'bundled software' and decided to pass. I was hoping to find the version that Comodo might have had available in 2019. Maybe all their free software has ads bundled in also.

I'm a little confused on that ... the download size seems to be OK. I have downloaded it to check out. There was some mention at another website that the Comodo firewall free software was bloated.

I found some of those comments ... "theres really no reason for anyone to install the bloated mess that Comodo became."

"Stopped using this some time ago now...bloated and full of things i got sick of turning off every time i installed it. Now i pay for a firewall thats just a firewall, which is what this USED to be..."

So I don't know ... anyone here use this firewall with Win XP? I am using an older version of Zone Alarm that still works quite well in 2020 ... before ZA went crazy and destroyed their good firewall with adding things.

I just wanted to check it out. The 'non-installer version' doesn't seem to be that type of download. I will just pass on the Comodo firewall. The comments don't sound too good.

Edited by Monroe
sp

siria ... I just noticed your link, I also found that download earlier and after downloading it and checking the version ...it is different ... it says it is version 12.2.2.7062.

I was looking for a 'clean' version with just a firewall ... that version 12.0.0.6870 doesn't seem to exist in 2020.

Edited by Monroe
sp

Comodo Firewall v12.0.0.6870 work on XP, but at startup, opening the interface, opening settings, and so on, several errors appear. Therefore, you need to look for an older version.

image.png

UPD. Installed on another computer with XP, there are no errors. Strange, both systems are completely updated, all additional components are the same.

Edited by ED_Sln
Added.

Yes, that is strange with two identical XP setups ... one with the errors and one installs OK. I also have two identical ThinkPad T42 XP setups and a few programs install slightly different on each T42.

I have been looking into some 'older clean' Comodo Firewall downloads and keep running into the '404 Not Found' message. However, I stated earlier that I am using an older version of ZoneAlarm that seems to be just fine for my XP setup. Years ago there was much discussion about ZA v4.5.594.000 being a very good version for Win XP. As newer ZA versions were released ... many people decided to stay with v4.5.594.000, myself included ... it was a plain simple firewall that just worked, I think I had it on my Win 98SE setup before going to WinXP.

I recently signed up with a VPN service and after two weeks or so ... both the VPN and ZA seem to be working together. I may have to change a few settings in ZA but not sure at this point of time. I have run some IP tests and DNS Leak tests. Everything seems to working OK for now.

This company provides a firewall with their VPN service but it only works with Windows 7 and above. They never had a firewall that worked with Win XP but luckily the ZA Firewall seems to be comparable and working with the VPN.

Some of the older versions of Comodo FW must have not worked very well with a VPN ... this version I was looking for since it did indicate a VPN fix but I am no longer searching for it.

COMODO Firewall Pro 3.0.14.276

FIXED! VPN Clients can now connect to VPN servers while CFP is installed

... there were a lot of 'fixes' in that version so any Comodo versions before that might not be good to have on the computer.

So ZA v4.5.594.000 looks OK at this point.

Edited by Monroe
sp

@Monroe I did use ZA up to 3-4 years ago if memory serves me right but due to updating screw ups ( ZA antivirus was trying to update even though was not installed thus disrupting my work every so often) I uninstalled and installed PC TOOLS firewall plus version 7.0.0.123 considered one of the best firewalls at Matouasec. It has been running flawlessly and I found it to be better than ZA. The software retired about 9  -10 years ago. It is firewall + HIPS.

7 hours ago, Tangy said:

@Monroe I did use ZA up to 3-4 years ago if memory serves me right but due to updating screw ups ( ZA antivirus was trying to update even though was not installed thus disrupting my work every so often) I uninstalled and installed PC TOOLS firewall plus version 7.0.0.123 considered one of the best firewalls at Matouasec. It has been running flawlessly and I found it to be better than ZA. The software retired about 9  -10 years ago. It is firewall + HIPS.

Tangy ... thanks for posting about PC Tools Firewall Plus v7.0.0.123. I had never heard of this firewall and it looks very interesting. I have downloaded it and also searched around for more information on it.

You really have to be careful with some of these sites that offer downloads. I downloaded PC Tools Firewall Plus v7.0.0.123 from one site but when I checked the download it was not the correct version. This site does have the correct version if anyone is interested. They also list many other firewalls that can be downloaded to try. Many I have never heard of.

Malavida / Firewalls for Windows

https://www.malavida.com/en/windows/cat/firewalls

PC Tools Firewall Plus 7.0.0.123

https://www.malavida.com/en/soft/pc-tools-firewall/download

I see that PC Tools Firewall Plus v7.0.0.123 is the last version and was 'retired' in October 2012 as a standalone version and I guess was part of a 'new security package' that was not free.

I did see a few complaints of the 'PC Tools Firewall' ... BUT that was for older versions with problems.

Thanks again ...

Edited by Monroe
sp

• 2 weeks later...

I have been only been able use comodo firewall/internet security 6818 under xp. Newer than it wont work. You can download av/firewall offline installer from here https://web.archive.org/web/20190502052352/http://cdn.download.comodo.com/cis/download/installs/1000/standalone/cispremium_only_installer.exe. During setup click options and uncheck "comodo antivirus" and you will only get firewall

uncheckfw.JPG

Thanks for the Comodo Firewall version information. I will check it out ... for now I didn't have success with the links, I was in a hurry and will look into everything with more detail. I probably messed up the link.

404. That’s an error.

The requested URL / was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

... and

Sorry.

This snapshot cannot be displayed due to an internal error.

On 1/11/2021 at 4:23 PM, Monroe said:

I probably messed up the link.

Here is an easier one (same as above)

Maybe you included the dot at the end after exe ?

As for:

you can usually try other snapshots by replacing the date in the address with an asterisk. Then pick one from the calendar. The file version may not be the same though, try ones closer to the original date.

So https://web.archive.org/web/20190502052352/http:// becomes https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://

Thanks for the Comodo Firewall version information. I will check it out ... for now I didn't have success with the links, I was in a hurry and will look into everything with more detail. I probably messed up the link.

404. That’s an error.

The requested URL / was not found on this server. That’s all we know.

... and

Sorry.

Did you got it downloaded?

11 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

Did you got it downloaded?

Yes, I just got the file downloaded ... I may have had the dot included before as RainyShadow suggested. I didn't have any problems this time.

I will work with the Comodo Firewall and see how it works. I want to also try PC Tools Firewall Plus 7.0.0.123 as I mentioned earlier.

I haven't done anything yet however as I have been working with the Zone Alarm version that I have had on my computer for years. This version ... ZA v4.5.594.000 seems to be just fine working with the VPN I now have.

I have almost had the VPN service for a month now and ZA and the VPN seem to be working OK together. I have run some leak tests at various times and everything appears to be fine.

However, one these days soon I will remove ZA and try the Comodo FW and the PC Tools FW. I am curious how they work. I have a backup so I can get my setup with ZA back up in a hurry ... or I may decide to change the FW to one of the other two.

I didn't know too much about a VPN and I have really spent some time reading on VPNs and firewalls, various leak tests, IP address testing. Everything seems to be OK so far since I am still using Windows XP.

I should have had this setup years ago with going to different places with 'free WiFi' ... I guess I was lucky not to have any problems.

Edited by Monroe
add, spell