rtx 30xx series not compatible

Jaguarek62

6 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

I feel like I was scammed. Now I can't even use MY OWN hardware... it is artificial block. They should have at least let us install the windows 7 driver.

You can always report this on the Nvidia driver forum (I'm only guessing because I don't have a desktop to test these GPUs on or an rtx 20xx or 30xx GPU). Customer is always king, as @xpclient rightly said somewhere on this forum

8 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

I feel like I was scammed. Now I can't even use MY OWN hardware... it is artificial block. They should have at least let us install the windows 7 driver.

I think I may have found a solution.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/install-only-the-driver-for-nvidia-graphics-cards/

This method bypasses the NVidia installer entirely and has Windows install the drivers for you instead. Also, I don't even think you need Bandzip for this. Just run the exe, and then when it extracts and opens the installer window, go to where it extracted the files and just copypaste them somewhere.

Edited by AeroSeeker

7 hours ago, AeroSeeker said:

I think I may have found a solution.

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/30/install-only-the-driver-for-nvidia-graphics-cards/

This method bypasses the NVidia installer entirely and has Windows install the drivers for you instead. Also, I don't even think you need Bandzip for this. Just run the exe, and then when it extracts and opens the installer window, go to where it extracted the files and just copypaste them somewhere.

I know about this method, but nvidia did something that prevents the driver to work properly.

• 1 month later...

I have a new theory regarding how to get the 30xx display drivers to install correctly on 8.1 (assuming correct installation is the problem). Extract the Windows 7 display driver as normal, but then go into the driver files, specifically NVIDIA/(whatever your driver version number is)/Win8_Win7_64/International/Display.Driver/ and then open nv_dispi.inf.

If we look at this file, we see sections that list different Windows versions corresponding to 7, 8, and 8.1, but then we see this:

[NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.6.3]
%NVIDIA_DEV.2188%           = Section185, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_2188
%NVIDIA_DEV.21C4%           = Section185, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_21C4

And then we check under our [Strings] section to see what the hell these IDs even mean:

[Strings]
NVIDIA_DEV.2188 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650"
NVIDIA_DEV.21C4 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER"
NVIDIA_DEV.2204 = "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090"
NVIDIA_DEV.2206 = "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080"
NVIDIA_DEV.2484 = "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070"
NVIDIA_DEV.2486 = "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti"

And we confirm that underneath our Windows 8.1 section, the entire 30xx series is missing!

So, this is my theory. We simply need to add these lines to the 6.3 section (or the 6.2 section if you're running Windows 8 vanilla):

%NVIDIA_DEV.2204%           = Section165, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_2204                 
%NVIDIA_DEV.2206%           = Section165, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_2206                 
%NVIDIA_DEV.2484%           = Section165, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_2484                 
%NVIDIA_DEV.2486%           = Section165, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_2486

After this nonsense, just save the file and run the setup.exe in the parent directory as normal and see if it will finally install the damn drivers.

Edited by AeroSeeker

29 minutes ago, AeroSeeker said:

So, this is my theory. We simply need to add these lines to the 6.3 section (or the 6.2 section if you're running Windows 8 vanilla):

Yeah well that was the first thing I did and it leads to code 43 :( 

22 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

Yeah well that was the first thing I did and it leads to code 43 :( 

Oops. Sorry for repeating that.

Well, at this point, I would go to Nvidia's forum, but it's complete f****** trash. Like, holy hell, they aren't even cleaning up the garbage left by spambots. All in all, my efforts to get these damn drivers working has been a great big nothing burger, and I am getting thoroughly discouraged to try any further.

With this, and that Hardware Unboxed fiasco, and the forcing of customers to make online accounts just to use GeForce Experience, and the annoying telemetry, and just the mere fact that they're listing a Windows 8 category for the 30 series and haven't ever bothered to change it... I really hope AMD catches up to Nvidia, because this is some absolute dogshit support. Hell, I bet the only reason they even have Windows 7 drivers at this point is because AMD still makes Windows 7 drivers. What a joke.

Edited by AeroSeeker