Whitelist-based firewall?

jack980517

I'm planning to use XP as my daily driver OS, which means I need internet connectivity. However, since I only use several specific sites, I think the best approach for me is to use a whitelist, only allowing specific hosts / domain names. Is there a whitelist-based firewall software available for XP? Or do I have to set it up at the router level?

12 hours ago, D.Draker said:

9 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

This is not available in Windows XP.

Can confirm. The "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" window is "\Windows\System32\wf.msc", which does not exist on XP.

I always turn Windows Firewall off anyway; having to approve every single program to access internet is annoying.

11 hours ago, genieautravail said:

In Internet Explorer, setup a proxy (127.0.0.1 by example) and in the exceptions, add your domains allowed.

That will works with all browsers installed on your computer. :rolleyes:

This only works if a program obeys system proxy settings, which is not always the case.

But this got me thinking: I might be able to use a SOCKS proxy server that has filtering or blocking capabilities, and only allow programs that can set a SOCKS proxy to connect to the internet. Has anybody done something similar? (So that they can provide a guide)

3 hours ago, jack980517 said:

Can confirm. The "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" window is "\Windows\System32\wf.msc", which does not exist on XP.

Have you tried Mcafee ? The article "Whitelist-Domains" is from 2014 , so v13.6  should work with XP . https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Consumer-General-Discussions/Whitelist-Domains/td-p/490370 

19 hours ago, jack980517 said:

This only works if a program obeys system proxy settings, which is not always the case.

But this got me thinking: I might be able to use a SOCKS proxy server that has filtering or blocking capabilities, and only allow programs that can set a SOCKS proxy to connect to the internet. Has anybody done something similar? (So that they can provide a guide)

For programs that don't support proxy settings, you can use WideCap:

http://widecap.com/

Regards

19 hours ago, jack980517 said:

For that, you can try FreeProxy Internet Suite:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeProxy

Edited by genieautravail