The MSFN café - A Penny for Your Thoughts

XPerceniol

I wonder if dogs get depressed and lose their sense of purpose when they retire like some people do, or if this would be a reward from the dogs perspective as well… Farm herd Casper, who faced off 11 coyotes and killed 8 of them. He was missing for two days right after which they believed he was tracking the remaining coyotes and finishing the job. His vet said he was lucky to be alive and his owner said he will have him retire from herding… Man… he looks like a war veteran… We should send him to Wallstreet or Davos to have an eye on those wolves…

d787beb4-cc5a-4f53-b547-cd775eec06df_106

When coyotes attacked, a dog killed 8 of them, saving a flock of sheep

By Kyle Melnick

fe035e0eca7b78b7fde9a1d2d6c6af6710d058cc

Casper, a 21-month-old Great Pyrenees, is reunited Wednesday with owner John Wierwille's daughters, Eloise and Leona, after recovering from his fight with 11 coyotes. (John Wierwille)

John Wierwille sprang out of bed early one November morning when he heard coyotes outside his Decatur, Ga., home. But by the time the sheep farmer made it outside to check on his flock, his sheepdogs were already on the scene.

Casper, a 21-month-old Great Pyrenees, soon led a counterattack and hopped a four-foot fence. Over the next several minutes, Wierwille said Casper killed eight of the 11 coyotes on his property and chased away the rest. The five sheep remained unharmed.

Despite suffering life-threatening injuries in the Nov. 4 attack, Casper has since recovered and returned home Wednesday, Wierwille said. The fearless sheepdog has emerged as a hero across the internet....

MORE: https://archive.ph/yid1d

How sitting all day can cause health problems — even if you exercise

Working out for 30 minutes every day ‘might not be enough’ to counter the health issues created by prolonged sitting, says the author of a sweeping new study

By Gretchen Reynolds

Are you an active couch potato? Take this two-question quiz to find out:

Did you work out for 30 minutes today?

Did you spend the rest of the day staring at your computer and then settle in front of the television at night?

If you answered yes to both questions, then you meet the definition of what scientists call “an active couch potato.” It means that, despite your commitment to exercise, you could be at risk for a variety of health problems, according to a sweeping new study of how people move — or don’t move — throughout the day.

The study, which involved more than 3,700 men and women in Finland, found that many dutifully exercised for a half-hour, but then sat, almost nonstop, for another 10, 11 or even 12 hours a day. These were the study’s active couch potatoes, and their blood sugar, cholesterol and body fat all were elevated....

MOREhttps://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2022/09/14/meet-active-couch-potato-how-sitting-all-day-can-erase-workout/

Radiation threat! Urgent public health warning issued over lost radioactive capsule in Western Australia

Jan 27, 2023

There is currently a radioactive capsule lost somewhere on the 1400km stretch of highway between Newman and Malaga in Western Australia. It is a 8mm x 6mm cylinder used in mining equipment. Being in close proximity to it is the equivalent having 10 X-rays per hour. It fell out of a truck....

Urgent-public-health-warning-issued-over

MORE: https://strangesounds.org/2023/01/urgent-public-health-warning-issued-over-lost-radioactive-capsule-in-western-australia.html

SOAR HIGHER

eINQMHkxphmmMI-FT-rhnMpP3giw5cN1rQ.jpg

"Recently I heard a man of God share a heartfelt message for the Christians of America. There was unmistakable concern and compassion in his voice as he shared scriptures of comfort with those who felt drained of their spiritual strength. Summarizing what we were feeling, he said that American believers in Christ were under siege by an anti-God government. Our God-given freedoms were being trampled, sometimes under the guise of a created health emergency. Freedoms were being taken away in order to further political power.

For the past year and a half, we have been in a spiritual struggle, not only for the souls of men, but also for the soul and spirit of America. It is a clash of kingdoms, a conflict of the darkness of evil and fear, against the kingdom of God’s light. The war is fierce. Many Christians who follow God’s principles and pray constantly, have grown weary with “battle fatigue.” Longing to see the present chaos cease, and God’s righteousness prevail, people ask, “How long must we endure, Lord?”

Be encouraged! God has never lost a battle, and it is He who is leading His people. He has promised that there will be victory. Evil will be overcome, and the purposes of God will be fulfilled.

The apostle John wrote, “For whoever has been born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world: our faith.” 1 John 5:4 (NASB). We must have faith in God, for victory is on the horizon...."

MORE from the HIGH FLIGHT FOUNDATION bloghttps://www.highflightfoundation.org/highflight-blog/item/soar-higher

Edited by msfntor

4 hours ago, legacyfan said:

I have one of those old atari flashback consoles with the built in games and it's not very good the controllers stopped working as well

Yeah, also have an atari flashback console and I hardly ever use it and the guy down the hall will give me $5.00 for it.

I almost missed your posting because I was looking for your old avatar lol ... all is good and well here.

4 hours ago, derpo said:

AtGames is a terrible company, they used to make those official Sega flashbacks running on an ARM SoC, presumably running a hacked up version of PicoDrive at the lowest settings (going by the audio), and they were, to say the least, godawful.

Note, the "M2" Mega Drive Mini is a different product to this, and is MUCH better.

Ha Ha............:o

This Island Appeared Out of Nowhere, With Life Forms Never Seen Before

Nature 27 January 2023
By Russell McLendon

VolcanicIslandInOceanWithBlueWaters-642x

View from the summit of Hunga Tonga -Hunga Ha'apai island. (Damien Grouille/Wikimedia Commons/CC BY-SA 4.0)  

When a new island arose from the South Pacific in 2015, it created an unprecedented opportunity not just for geologists and volcanologists, but for biologists and ecologists, too.

The appearance of a new island offers a chance to learn about how ecosystems begin, starting with microbial pioneers that colonize new land like this, before plants or animals show up.
Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai island (Hunga Tonga) didn't stick around for very long – after it was formed by a volcanic eruption in 2015, it was destroyed by another eruption in early 2022.
During the seven years it existed, however, the island revealed some interesting secrets.
In a new study, researchers report evidence of an unexpected community of microbes on the island that metabolize sulfur and atmospheric gases, similar to organisms that occupy very different habitats: hot springs or deep-sea hydrothermal vents.
"We didn't see what we were expecting," says microbial ecologist Nick Dragone from the University of Colorado.

"We thought we'd see organisms you find when a glacier retreats, or cyanobacteria, more typical early colonizer species – but instead we found a unique group of bacteria that metabolize sulfur and atmospheric gases."
Dragone and fellow researchers collected 32 soil samples from the island, on surfaces ranging from sea level up to the crater summit, about 120 meters (394 ft) high. They then extracted and sequenced DNA from the samples.
Plants colonized the island fairly quickly after it formed, probably thanks to seeds in bird droppings, but the researchers focused their collection efforts on unvegetated surfaces.
They found bacteria and archaea in all their samples from the volcano's cone, although those microbes were less diverse than microbes from nearby vegetated areas – and very different....

MORE: https://www.oom2.com/t82252-this-island-appeared-out-of-nowhere-with-life-forms-never-seen-before#167010

HOME page OUT OF MINDhttps://www.oom2.com/

oom10113.jpg

204-72.jpg

by PurpleSkyz Admin

Fi9QXY8aEAEAJq6?format=jpg&name=small

TwizzleTwilaSouth Retweeted

Savimbo @savimbos

Existing old-growth forests like the Amazon sequester more C02 than their secondary forest counterparts. This means they will set the standard for measuring carbon sequestration in the future. Get involved https://www.savimbo.com/

HERE: https://twitter.com/savimbos/status/1598584759470682112

Edited by msfntor

Trivia: Donkey Kong Country 2 has an enemy called Kaboom (keeping inline with the whole 'K' theme, and the main enemies being the Kremlings, an obvious pun on the Russian government...)

... well, image.png.7b218c4ee5cb5846da2c21498821e29c.png the barrel is a subtle insult, since the backwards 'n' would be read as 'i' in Cyrillic... in other words, it says tit. (Which has similar energy as calling someone a knob in the UK.)

Edited by derpo

4 hours ago, msfntor said:

How sitting all day can cause health problems — even if you exercise

Working out for 30 minutes every day ‘might not be enough’ to counter the health issues created by prolonged sitting, says the author of a sweeping new study

By Gretchen Reynolds

Are you an active couch potato? Take this two-question quiz to find out:

Did you work out for 30 minutes today?

Did you spend the rest of the day staring at your computer and then settle in front of the television at night?

If you answered yes to both questions, then you meet the definition of what scientists call “an active couch potato.” It means that, despite your commitment to exercise, you could be at risk for a variety of health problems, according to a sweeping new study of how people move — or don’t move — throughout the day.

The study, which involved more than 3,700 men and women in Finland, found that many dutifully exercised for a half-hour, but then sat, almost nonstop, for another 10, 11 or even 12 hours a day. These were the study’s active couch potatoes, and their blood sugar, cholesterol and body fat all were elevated....

MOREhttps://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2022/09/14/meet-active-couch-potato-how-sitting-all-day-can-erase-workout/

I really believe a sedentary lifestyle is a recipe for disastrous health. 

2 hours ago, msfntor said:

Epoch Inspired @EpochInspired

Your daily inspiration, with stories of hope, love, tradition, and insights about health, family and art.

https://twitter.com/EpochInspired

TheEpochTimes.comhttps://www.theepochtimes.com/c-inspired

This helped me right now because I've lost faith in humanity and I think the majority of people are with ill intentions and I'll never trust again, I"ll always keep a firewall up that will never ever come down. Life has taught me, there is only 1 person you can depend on when the 'going gets rough' and that is yourself; period. If you are seeking others for approval there are "Yes People" out there but given enough time the true colors bleed though.

3 hours ago, msfntor said:

Fi9QXY8aEAEAJq6?format=jpg&name=small

TwizzleTwilaSouth Retweeted

Savimbo @savimbos

Existing old-growth forests like the Amazon sequester more C02 than their secondary forest counterparts. This means they will set the standard for measuring carbon sequestration in the future. Get involved https://www.savimbo.com/

HERE: https://twitter.com/savimbos/status/1598584759470682112

Beautiful picture - thank you for sharing it and reading now and hopefully I can find other inspiring stories from good people because its does take much for people to trick others and I've had to proverbial wool pulled over my eyes more than a few time by people to ever let my guard down. Sorry guys, for being so negative but there is so much hypocrisy in the world and people play games with others exp when they are fragile. I never did that and never will treat others like that.

Sorry :(   

3 Ways ChatGPT Will Change Infosec in 2023

OpenAI's chatbot has the promise to revolutionize how security practitioners work.

ChatGPT took the world by storm after OpenAI opened it for testing on Nov. 30, 2022. For an industry calloused by years of largely unsatisfying AI and machine learning "innovations," the reactions have been quite telling. Like many who are excited by its potential, I believe this is finally the moment of clarity for how truly revolutionary AI can be for information security.

It's also quite sobering, as there are already countless examples of how it changes the game for black hats of all stripes. In one of the first proofs-of-concept, NYU professor Brendan Dolan-Gavitt used ChatGPT to exploit a buffer overflow vulnerability. Other examples include writing malware with lightning speed and crafting convincing, grammatically correct phishing emails.

The weaponization of AI within cybersecurity is not new, but what excites me the most about ChatGPT is its potential for closing information security's biggest gap: the lack of sufficient talent, in both breadth and depth of cybersecurity skills (i.e., specializations). To illustrate this further, here are three ways ChatGPT will change infosec in 2023....

MORE: https://www.darkreading.com/vulnerabilities-threats/3-ways-chatgpt-will-change-infosec-in-2023

This link doesn't work in DCBrowser (with cookielaw.org allowed in uBlock...), could you confirm that, please?.. 360Chrome all working good.