The MSFN café - A Penny for Your Thoughts

XPerceniol

"Don't buy pheromones to try to get nice, it doesn't work. Better work on your personality."

Bill Hansson, smell expert:

"Don't buy pheromones to try to get nice, it doesn't work. Better work on your personality."
The director of the Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology publishes 'A Matter of Smell', on the relevance that smell plays in the animal world, despite being a sense that has always been ignored.
H3NHL7SOWJARFLSXHHZPTK6RS4.jpg

Manduca Sexta & tobacco flower 

The world a thousand years ago was very different from today, also for our sensory perception. A landscape without airplanes, cars or ships, and, of course, without industry, smelled unrecognizable to a human today. Something as complicated as understanding how they perceive the olfactory world in the rest of the animal kingdom thanks to their millions of years of adaptation to the habitats.

Within this framework, the director of the Max Planck Institute for Chemical Ecology, Bill Hansson (Jonstorp, Sweden, 63 years old), publishes Cuestión de olfato: historias asombrosas sobre el mundo de los olores (Crítica, 2022), about a sense that is almost always ignored. The neuroethologist, who specializes in insects and their interaction with plants, explores the complex sensory mosaic of olfactory capacity in the animal and plant world. Of which humans are only a small part. Hansson issues a warning about the future: the pollution of the Anthropocene has already changed the chemical dynamics of animal and plant ecosystems with consequences for the future that we cannot foresee.

Question: What is it about the odor, that chemical process, that affects humans so much?

Answer. Smell is really special because it's multidimensional, that's what's great. When we think of seeing or hearing, it's the same kind of wave, right? For different colors or sounds. But when it comes to smell, every molecule is different and unique. You have 350-400 receptors in your nose for smelling. They are like the keys of a piano, imagine what you could do with so many possibilities, how many melodies could you play? If you combine them in different ways, it could be millions. And that's exactly what you can smell.

MORE INFORMATION

Human olfaction is no worse than dogs' for some smells
Q. We still don't know the exact process?

R. We don't know everything. There are a lot of molecular processes going on, it's the province of neuroscience. We have some ideas of how it works, though. The odor molecules are all around us and they get to your nose, which is a receptor, like a key going into a lock triggering a whole neurochemical process. The olfactory epithelium is the only place where the nervous system is in direct contact with the environment, I am talking about millions of receptor cells embedded in the mucosa. There the information, which is a chemical signal, becomes electrical and travels through the olfactory nerves to the brain. It goes to the next level, to the limbic system, where the hippocampus -we know it is extremely good at evoking memories- and the amygdala -very much involved in emotions and sexuality- are located. There, a deep link is created between smell and feelings.

The nose, the only place where the nervous system is in direct contact with the environment, has 350-400 olfactory receptors: millions of odors to be detected.
P. Nothing is comparable to the regression caused by a scent, perhaps music.

R. It's probably because it's a very old sense. Maybe the first one we had, so it really is very deep in our brain and connected to all functions.

P. Something that, you explain, extends to the rest of the animal world, where smell is primarily the plane of reality in which many species move.

R. There are animals that interpret smell in a different way, because they are a thousand times more sensitive than we are and we will never be able to understand it. If you walk with a dog through a city park every day, the same route, it becomes very boring for you, but for the dog every day is new. With his developed nose he can see the past, detect other animals, he picks up a whole history that has stayed there because the smell persists for a long time....

MORE: https://newsrnd.com/news/2022-12-03-bill-hansson--scent-expert--“don-t-buy-pheromones-to-try-to-get-laid--it-doesn-t-work--better-work-on-your-personality”.HJs2FA_wo.html

or in Spanish: https://elpais.com/ciencia/2022-12-03/bill-hansson-experto-en-olfato-no-compres-feromonas-para-intentar-conseguir-sexo-no-funciona-mejor-trabaja-en-tu-personalidad.html

In this case "we" was necessary 'cause you touched some gentle people from the generic discussion,

who may be too polite and shy, also have problems in their life and you're angry with them for the likes.

Are you for real ?? Why did you hurt them !?!?

Thank you @D.Draker your posting was touching.

On 12/2/2022 at 1:11 AM, XPerceniol said:

I know I do, its the people that bother me.

Me too, I have to suffer their nonsense for a living, just so I get some €€€ to not suffer even the worse fate.

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

Me too, I have to suffer their nonsense for a living, just so I get some €€€ to not suffer even the worse fate.

I'm most happy right here in silence with my peace Lilly.

6 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

1 tree is enough to make me happy.

Why kind of tree? I feel connection to oak.

12 hours ago, mina7601 said:

1 tree is enough to make me happy.

1 tree... you're exaggerating Mina, you're kidding! ...Wouldn't it be better to walk in a forest... of fir trees, pine trees... and breathe in their magnificent scent?..and admire the squirrels for example? Red squirrels preferably.
And see the lions from a distance?. Don't get too close, don't touch. Tell me what animals you have in your forest

Times are getting very hard. In the past, the biggest punishment for children was to keep them at home - and now to cut off the internet, take them outside, to let them breathe the fresh air! Mina you have to turn off the internet for your own good. Go outside, admire your tree, then look for squirrels in the forest. This will make you feel good, very happy, I swear.:cheerleader:

korean-fir-17f-600x450.jpg

PNW-conifers-400x533.jpg

Edited by msfntor