The MSFN café - A Penny for Your Thoughts

XPerceniol

16 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

I'm sorry to hear you also have anxiety and meditation is life-saver for me. Why on work free days? Being alone causes anxiety for you?

I think it's because there isn't anything I have to do right away when I wake up and the mind starts to wander.

At least this weekend is going well.

18 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

I worry just that it could all be taken away in a 'blink of an eye' and I'd be homeless. I've been homeless more than a few times and always considered myself to be a 'drifter'. But, yeah, it does suck. Thank you for your concern and hope you feel better soon.

I wish you don't have to experience something like that ever again. I don't think any of us who haven't gone through it can even imagine it. FWIW, it's in the past and you're still here.

My mind does wander in similar direction at times, eg. a natural disaster could turn it all upside down.

19 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Again, almost missed it

No worries. Speaking of missing stuff, from my POV at least, this has to be one of few forums where it's somewhat possible to keep up. Well, it still accumulates if you don't visit for few days, but this happens so much faster in other places.

4 hours ago, UCyborg said:

I think it's because there isn't anything I have to do right away when I wake up and the mind starts to wander.

At least this weekend is going well.

I wish you don't have to experience something like that ever again. I don't think any of us who haven't gone through it can even imagine it. FWIW, it's in the past and you're still here.

My mind does wander in similar direction at times, eg. a natural disaster could turn it all upside down.

No worries. Speaking of missing stuff, from my POV at least, this has to be one of few forums where it's somewhat possible to keep up. Well, it still accumulates if you don't visit for few days, but this happens so much faster in other places.

Thank you for your advice.

Yeah, I'd be Eaten alive on some forums. Yeah, mind does wonder some times, I don't know.

Glad this weekend is going well.

@msfntor
Terrible news...how powerless we are in the grand scheme.

I just watched:

Reminds me of electrotechnics practical classes in high school. Was terribly clumsy at soldering. We had to put together a cube at some point and mine fell apart right away. :(

Edited by UCyborg

NASA's Telescope Just Found An Object That Defies All Logic - by Destiny

670,394 views Oct 12, 2022

Space is full of planets, stars, and other celestial bodies that baffle scientists and make them doubt the laws of physics and astronomy. So what space objects defy common sense and contradict all our current understanding of the cosmos? Prepare to learn about how a star can blow smoke rings, how black holes can eject unwanted space bodies, what happens when stars feed off each other, and how stars continue to live on after exploding...

"Dedication of the cameraman is unthinkable!!"

The Mystery Of The Giant Object Underneath The Baltic Sea | The Mystery Beneath | Progress

3,536,317 views Jun 12, 2022

Treasure hunters Peter and Dennis were out on a typical day exploring the Baltic Sea when a very unusual image appeared on the sonar. A nearly 200 foot cylindrical object was something that had never been seen before. This documentary takes you on the extraordinary journey to find out what the object could be. Reviewed by multiple disciplines of scientists, and using advanced equipment, could this object be an ancient crash site from an advanced civilization millions of years ago?..

2 hours ago, msfntor said:

The Mystery Of The Giant Object Underneath The Baltic Sea | The Mystery Beneath | Progress

3,536,317 views Jun 12, 2022

Treasure hunters Peter and Dennis were out on a typical day exploring the Baltic Sea when a very unusual image appeared on the sonar. A nearly 200 foot cylindrical object was something that had never been seen before. This documentary takes you on the extraordinary journey to find out what the object could be. Reviewed by multiple disciplines of scientists, and using advanced equipment, could this object be an ancient crash site from an advanced civilization millions of years ago?..

Watching :)

MEET THE METEORITE HUNTERS

Meteorites are some of the oldest known pieces of celestial bodies. They are littered all over Earth — someone just has to find them.

Lais Borges for Inverse

JENNIFER WALTER

NOVEMBER 22, 2022

9f7d6b0e-7f7f-4de1-9a4c-9846faf61e7f-mat

Linda Welzenbach Fries and Marc Fries pose with their meteorite finds in Cranfield.Courtesy of Linda Welzenbach Fries

THE DAY WAS SHAPING UP TO BE A TOTAL FLOP FOR MATTHEW STREAM AND ROBERTO VARGAS.

The two meteorite collectors were in the remote, unincorporated community of Cranfield, Mississippi, in late April, days after a fireball exploded over the area. Witness reports of multiple sonic booms convinced the pair to fly out on a whim to scour the ground for fallen rocks. Before this trip, they’d only ever communicated on Facebook, where they decided to team up and do the trip together.

But despite their best efforts, the search was not going to plan. Stream and Vargas trudged through swampy grasses and forests for hours. The air was thick with mosquitoes, and the ground crawled with lizards and venomous snakes. At one point during the trip, their rental car got stuck in the mud, and they had to ask a local to tow them out. Worst of all, at that point, they were empty-handed. Not even the slightest remnants of an alien rock were anywhere in sight.

“We were discouraged, disappointed; we started driving back,” Stream tells Inverse.

Their luck changed when Stream and Vargas drove past two people jumping up and down on the side of the highway.

“I [saw] this guy on his knees waving his hands at this woman down the road,” Vargas recalls.

Vargas pulled the car over and ran up to the exuberant man. “Did you just find meteorites?” he yelled.

The answer was yes.

MORE: https://www.inverse.com/science/meteorite-hunters 

New York City is launching a program to forcibly remove dangerous mentally ill people from the city streets

Daniel Payne

··Nov 29, 2022 · NottheBee.com

63865a909b22463865a909b225.jpg

You know it's getting really bad if New York is doing this:

Mayor Eric Adams announced a major effort on Tuesday to remove people with severe, untreated mental illness from the city's streets and subways, saying New York had "a moral obligation" to address "a crisis we see all around us."

The effort will involve hospitalizing people involuntarily, even if they do not pose an immediate risk of harm to others.

"The common misunderstanding persists that we cannot provide involuntary assistance unless the person is violent," Mr. Adams said. "This myth must be put to rest. Going forward, we will make every effort to assist those who are suffering from mental illness and whose illness is endangering them by preventing them from meeting their basic human needs."

This is a good plan — New York, like many large, Democratic-controlled American cities, is getting to be an exceedingly dangerous place to live.

More than a few people, meanwhile, are unhappy with this proposal: look on original link here: https://notthebee.com/article/new-york-city-is-launching-a-program-to-forcibly-remove-dangerous-mentally-ill-people-from-the-city-streets

Hi My friend @msfntor

I'll admit I was (sort of) following this as they've been trying this for so long and it always fails because "as is" this isn't going to work. Maybe they mean well (I hope so, anyway), but just ripping homeless people that are mentally ill off the streets into a hospital isn't enough. When they get out, if faced with the same circumstances, they'll return right back to where they were and the problem isn't solved. Some of my friends were faced with serious mental illness (schizophrenia / bi-polar / borderline personality disorder) and these can't be "cured" let alone solved with hospitalizations. I, Myself, have been hospitalized for mania, depression and psychosis ... let alone hospitalizations for acute alcohol intoxication (which many use to "mask" their illness or to escape their pain) - its all about the followup care afterwards, otherwise its a 'revolving-door' in and out of the hospital and all that does is acquire more bills to further set them up for certain failure, and for the Indigent, they won't have the means or even an address to mail the bill to, which means more money for the state which is the opposite outcome. Also, it takes dedication on the part of the patient to get their life together even when faced with insurmountable odd against them. I was luck my family took care of me until they could not, but many families disowned them and have written them off as "Losers". Also I reached a point when I became serious about pulling it together and sometimes it feels like I'm barely hanging on my a shoestring. 

All that being said:

I do hope they plan to offer some follow up care for those to make this work to truly work on this problem, otherwise, it would be a shame to offer false hope to those ill folks. They would need to figure out or sort out the career criminals from the ill.

I will say, when I did live in NY (mid 90's), I only would ride the subway when it was absolutely necessary and I will admit, I'd never go at night alone and it was VERY SCARY to say the least. 

Not to make this political (was not my intention - both parties have their faults) but I also see some of the proposals from another party when they ACTUALLY said (I'm paraphrasing as I'm only going by memory) to allow them to be killed off to rid society of filth. Yes you read that right. In fact that party would very much love to remove me from my housing as they (in turn) want to go back to permanent hospitalizations or prisons to lump the criminally ill along with those that in the right setting can be members of society. And a proper diagnosis will go a long way to determine why the person became a substance abuser so a better medication(s) could help them to overcome or stay ahead of their disorder.

Please accept my apology for grammar and typos - I wrote it all.

Honestly, there is no easy solution for this issue and it takes great determination and will to get through when there is little (to no) support from friends or family.

Edited by XPerceniol

On 11/29/2022 at 5:06 AM, msfntor said:

MEET THE METEORITE HUNTERS

Meteorites are some of the oldest known pieces of celestial bodies. They are littered all over Earth — someone just has to find them.

Lais Borges for Inverse

JENNIFER WALTER

NOVEMBER 22, 2022

9f7d6b0e-7f7f-4de1-9a4c-9846faf61e7f-mat

Linda Welzenbach Fries and Marc Fries pose with their meteorite finds in Cranfield.Courtesy of Linda Welzenbach Fries

THE DAY WAS SHAPING UP TO BE A TOTAL FLOP FOR MATTHEW STREAM AND ROBERTO VARGAS.

The two meteorite collectors were in the remote, unincorporated community of Cranfield, Mississippi, in late April, days after a fireball exploded over the area. Witness reports of multiple sonic booms convinced the pair to fly out on a whim to scour the ground for fallen rocks. Before this trip, they’d only ever communicated on Facebook, where they decided to team up and do the trip together.

But despite their best efforts, the search was not going to plan. Stream and Vargas trudged through swampy grasses and forests for hours. The air was thick with mosquitoes, and the ground crawled with lizards and venomous snakes. At one point during the trip, their rental car got stuck in the mud, and they had to ask a local to tow them out. Worst of all, at that point, they were empty-handed. Not even the slightest remnants of an alien rock were anywhere in sight.

“We were discouraged, disappointed; we started driving back,” Stream tells Inverse.

Their luck changed when Stream and Vargas drove past two people jumping up and down on the side of the highway.

“I [saw] this guy on his knees waving his hands at this woman down the road,” Vargas recalls.

Vargas pulled the car over and ran up to the exuberant man. “Did you just find meteorites?” he yelled.

The answer was yes.

MORE: https://www.inverse.com/science/meteorite-hunters 

Oh they look so happy :)