The MSFN café - A Penny for Your Thoughts

XPerceniol

12 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Day's really short if you work, especially the autumn time pronounces the feeling, you come home and the night is already dropping.

I agree! Like, once I look at the clock (when in home) and notice it's 4 PM, I look outside and I notice it's completely dark, like it has approached night!

Edited by mina7601

More than a billion young people may be at risk of deafness from wearing headphones at full volume or going to entertainment venues with loud music.

11/16/2022, 1:52:26 AM

A scientific review estimates that 24% of adolescents who use personal audio devices and almost half of those who go to noisy spaces, such as discotheques, are at risk of losing hearing due to unsafe listening practices.

About 25 decibels is a low voice conversation in a library.

At 50 or 60 decibels the traffic of a noisy street sounds and, at more than 100, there is a disco or the noise of a drill.

For the scientific community, any prolonged exposure to sound that exceeds 80 decibels begins to put hearing health at risk, whether in the short, medium or long term.

The ear suffers and is damaged.

A scientific review published in the journal

British Medical Journal Global Health

estimates that between 670 and 1.35 billion adolescents and young adults worldwide are at risk of hearing loss from exposure to unsafe listening practices.

Specifically, 23.8% of young people who use personal audio devices at high intensity, such as loud music through headphones, and almost half of those who go to noisy entertainment venues, such as bars or nightclubs, are at risk of suffering from some type of deafness or hearing damage.

Experts warn of "the urgent need" to promote safe listening habits.

The damage to hearing health is influenced by the intensity of the noise and the exposure time...

MORE: https://newsrnd.com/news/2022-11-16-more-than-a-billion-young-people-may-be-at-risk-of-deafness-from-wearing-headphones-at-full-volume-or-going-to-entertainment-venues-with-loud-music-.Sk7MLNh-Uo.html

I hope they didn't spend money to conduct that survey.

Speaking of decibel levels, I once witnessed a company I once worked for "investigated" by OSHA for their take-shelter alarm being TOO LOUD.

Our "safety" department ignored all complaints citing them as TOO LOUD.

The "safety" department would sarcastically reply "would you rather die in a tornado because you couldn't hear the alarm?"

OSHA was brought in to "investigate" and the company had to install new alarms because they were indeed found to be TOO LOUD.

The "safety" manager didn't last much longer after that, but he left for other reasons.

10 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I hope they didn't spend money to conduct that survey.

Speaking of decibel levels, I once witnessed a company I once worked for "investigated" by OSHA for their take-shelter alarm being TOO LOUD.

Our "safety" department ignored all complaints citing them as TOO LOUD.

The "safety" department would sarcastically reply "would you rather die in a tornado because you couldn't hear the alarm?"

OSHA was brought in to "investigate" and the company had to install new alarms because they were indeed found to be TOO LOUD.

The "safety" manager didn't last much longer after that, but he left for other reasons.

Good testimony, thank you!

8 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

I can't stand when neighbors used to have surround sound and sub-woofers ... so disrespectful to others, but thank heavens they moved out.

Me neither... and those motorcycles without mufflers, and those car owners with music sent to all... ..... and those city hall employees with those machines cutting flowers and grass every few days... uh those are really horrible. I often close my ears when I hear them all

MarkALink I like...

Here is a pleasant link (to your bookmarks!) with soft music to listen all day with low volume (and at the same time for stress testing of your browser) : MarkALink (if click on logo - you've nebula on the left with right-handed movement that must be present, other galaxy is stationary, the sound without cuts if browser is OK) - MarkALink websitehttps://marka.link/#

And here: Chrome extension MarkALink:  https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/markalink/jgfjphpcldeifiifdmjpjoidkdhbcboe

"cyberpunk browser extension by Romanisthere. Highlight interesting links. Hide irrelevant ones. Remove whole websites.."

MarkALink - The Goalshttps://marka.link/goals/ (NO sound here)

"... Internet.

Its possibilities are tremendous. But with great possibilities come great pitfalls. And I want to remind you about them, because they are so easily forgotten, though should not.

Consciousness in the web.

“Mindful” is an interesting word. Feels like “filled with mind” and means the state of awareness. Unfortunately the internet is the perfect engine for the let’s-be-not-so-filled-with-mind industry.

It’s so easy to get distracted while using the web. Hundreds of psychologists, analysts, designers are working to make it so. They are hardly ashamed of using cognitive biases against their own kind. The reasons, however, are pretty usual: money and power - one’s everlasting desires.

I’m not sure if these people are planning to be parents, I’m just not getting it, aren’t they going to fight their own kids over the systems they’ve helped to create? Children are known to be extremely vulnerable to all sorts of addictions. And a great number of the most popular services are. The scary thing is they’re designed to be.

Two approaches to the problem.

Developing mindfulness is a universal recommendation to halfly resolve most of our problems. Not globally, but we know that changing the world starts with ourselves. Asking questions like: “Is it what I need, what I truly like? Where am I gonna be by doing so? Is it where I want to?” - and listening closely would help us to find ourselves, open a new world.

There are people indeed, who are aware of the situation and trying to reduce negative influences from the web. There are a lot of apps created to help us overcome dirty manipulative attacks. Or simply block. If you have difficulties finding what you need, drop me a note, I’ll try to help you :)

Any of these approaches will make us feel better after some time will have passed. But the issue remains. Our kids, our parents are vulnerable and under the pressure of the system right now. One can not beat the system alone, but together we can.

A bit of psychology.

Every time our brain sees some specific info, it swallows it (that’s why we feel tired after “chilling” on the web or viewing TV). No thing we had seen in our lives was skipped. Our mind builds up theoretical knowledge from it (that’s why ads are working even though we think we can skip it).

Theory is great, but to make our mind go live with it there is an event needed. We have all heard of the life-changing events. We’ve experienced ones. I think these events happen when we are ready. And to be ready is to have this theoretical knowledge. We all could have missed an opportunity to change our lives today, because we simply didn’t recognize it. To think about...

So what I suggest to do.

We can’t really influence such events much, but we can influence this theoretical knowledge. So do I, right now. Even though you could skip the reading through, there is a common negative attitude towards some things in the web grabbed by your brain. So one day, after tens of other articles like this you’re going to recognize this precious event of missing your child’s first words because of another game, video or whatever. You’ll understand that it is so much not worth it. Boom, life’s changed. I’d be proud to be part of it.

If you’re already on the bright side.

Already in? Good! Make everyone you care for read this article. Write yourself. Film a video. Spread it. Send a copy to me, I’ll post it. Reread what inspires you. Don’t give up. Share your stories or thoughts. Argue, fight, listen. Live!"...

Edited by msfntor
extension added for you

PopUpOFF - Popup and overlay blocker Chrome extensionhttps://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/popupoff-popup-and-overla/ifnkdbpmgkdbfklnbfidaackdenlmhgh/related

- by romanisthere.github.io

Version2.0.2 Updated December 28, 2020 - Size 45.18 KiB - so nothing.

"Ultra-lightweight. Ultra-simple. Open source. Does the things other tools don't.

Addictive. Literally. After you use it, there will be no way back..."

Example of "overlay" with this deactivated account: https://www.scoop.it/topic/sigfox/p/3633647007/2012/12/07/sigfox-recrute - images are fogged...

So with Aggressive PopUpOFF mode, the images are clear, no more fogged.

But this link with overlay: https://www.immediate.co.uk/content-control/ - is always with "Ad Blocker Interference Detected..." popup?..

- maybe someone will understand this, why...

Edited by msfntor

Contrails!...

Stealth Planes Still Have One Very Visible Problem: Contrails

Scientists haven’t yet figured out how to stop aircraft from producing these high-altitude water vapor trails.

BY DAVID HAMBLINGPUBLISHED: NOV 15, 2022

Online military forums like SecretProjects went wild last year over a grainy, indistinct image of an aircraft. Basic digital enhancement showed a bat-winged craft unlike any known U.S. military plane, silhouetted against the blue sky. The consensus among defense media was that this mystery craft must be a top-secret RQ-180 stealth drone, used for spy missions over the most sensitive areas—like Iran, other parts of the Middle East, and areas close to China.

It was the second of three such photographs to emerge in the past few years. All three aircraft were given away by the same decidedly un-stealthy feature.

“I heard a faint aircraft noise and noticed a contrail straight above us,” Joerg Arnu, who witnessed the third mystery aircraft, told The Drive, a website focused on automotive culture and military matters.

That contrail—a cloud-like trail of water vapor produced by aircraft at high-altitude—led them straight to the mystery plane, like a long, white arrow saying “here I am.”

“It’s the stealth equivalent of walking out of the restroom, trailing toilet paper behind your shoe,” says Scott Lowe, a photographer who caught a rare image of a U-2 spy plane after noticing its contrail earlier last year.

Stealth technology dramatically reduced the radar and infrared signatures of aircraft that alerted air defenses to their presence. Previously, aircraft were most often picked up by radar at long range. Engineers have also developed a variety of techniques to eliminate contrails altogether. So why are some supposedly “secret” aircraft still leaving them behind?

Prepare for a dive into the world of aviation dark arts—of smoke and mirrors, acid, and lasers.

Of Metal and Mirrors

Contrails (or condensation trails) are visible for the same reason as your breath, or car exhaust, on a cold day. Warm, moisture-laden air mixes with cold, dry air and creates condensation. In the case of contrails, the condensation takes the form of tiny ice crystals. These form around tiny particles, mainly soot, in the engine exhaust....

MORE here: https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a41911305/stealth-plane-contrails/

People with disabilities are increasingly finding their place in companies

11/17/2022, 8:53:02 AM

cbbb989f42ce73d7d3cc40aa0095e06dbaf30b99    

More open to diversity and faced with the shortage of talent, employers are more attentive to these profiles that they tended to ignore. And yet...

Proof of the progress made, unemployment for people with disabilities has fallen from 19% in 2017 to 13% this year, according to the Interministerial Committee on Disability (CIH) in October.

In June 2022, 460,000 disabled people were registered with Pôle emploi, compared to 515,530 before December 2018. Returns to work have thus increased by 25% over the first four months of 2022 compared to 2021.

A theme has therefore imposed itself for the 26th edition of the European Disability Employment Week (EDEW), which opened on Monday: “

When will full employment for people with disabilities?

"If mentalities are changing “we must continue to help companies remove the obstacles to employing disabled people”, assures Geneviève Darrieussecq, Minister Delegate for Disability.

The obligation to employ disabled workers (OETH), which imposes on structures with at least twenty employees a minimum threshold of 6% of disabled people in their workforce.

Otherwise, they must pay an “OETH contribution” to the Association managing the fund for the professional integration of disabled people (Agefiph).

This money is used to provide assistance to employers who play the game, for example by financing the adaptation of a workstation.

A proactive policy Companies can of course recruit disabled people.

But they can encourage their employees whose disability is not visible (80% of cases) to declare it.

Sewan chose the first option.

This fast-growing telecom operator is recruiting a lot.

Of its 700 employees, five are disabled, compared to only one in 2020.

The company has implemented a proactive policy.

Its job postings state that all positions are open to people with disabilities.“We recruit on a CV and on expertise, in a neutral way, points out Marlène Delrue, HRD of Sewan.

Managers are looking for technically advanced profiles and are open.

If the disabled person has the required qualities, there is no obstacle to hiring him.

»The company is also diversifying its sources of recruitment.

It is present in particular on the online forum TalentsHandicap, where he consults the CV library to expand his teams.

Its employees responsible for chasing new employees have been trained in the recruitment of disabled people, just like the managers in their supervision.

Once hired, the disabled also follow specific training and benefit from special support.

“We train them in the hope that they will stay with us”

ADP, a payroll and human resources software company, has set up a program aimed at welcoming work-study students with disabilities.

"We train them in the hope that they will stay with us" says Nicolas Swiatek, world communications director and in charge of diversity in France.

According to the CIH, the number of apprentices with disabilities, which admittedly started from a very low level, increased between 2019 and 2021 (+ 3,597 apprentices).

In the private sector, it jumped 79% thanks to government aid introduced after the first confinement.

This ODA initiative is part of the extension of a disability policy initiated in 2010. The employment rate of disabled people in the company was only 0.73% at the time.

“A real job, not an occupation”

A mission has been set up and significant awareness-raising work has been carried out so that the employees concerned come forward if they feel like it and are supported in keeping their jobs.

The group, which is currently negotiating its fifth agreement with staff representatives, has now reached the 6% threshold.

At Café Joyeux, 60% of whose employees have autism or Down's syndrome, unsolicited applications are legion.

The company, which operates ten establishments and aims to reach thirty in 2025, favors the experience of room service for the candidate.

The future recruit is received in interview with his family, to verify that his desire to work emanates from him alone. “We are not a protected company, points out Olivier Devaux, director of human wealth.

We remain an economic enterprise and we insist that it is a real job and not an occupation.

»A know-how that goes back to the fundamentals

A day of observation is then organized to ensure that the person will be able to integrate and to assess their commitment.

If all goes well, she completes a one-month internship, renewable once.

At the end, she was hired on a permanent contract, and followed a two-year apprenticeship, in the CFA created by the company.

If this was not the case for the first Café Joyeux, the managers are now trained by a firm specializing in the management of disabled people and must also have experience in catering.

“If the disabled bring their own skills, including attention span, thoroughness and joy, there are certain things that they do not perceive and they tire more quickly, recalls Olivier Devaux.

The instructions must therefore be clear and the work environment organized so that they know what is expected of them.

This requires know-how that brings us back to the fundamentals of what good management should be in all companies.»

Source (in French): lefigaro: https://www.lefigaro.fr/decideurs/management/les-personnes-handicapees-trouvent-de-mieux-en-mieux-leur-place-dans-les-entreprises-20221116

Herehttps://newsrnd.com/business/2022-11-17-people-with-disabilities-are-increasingly-finding-their-place-in-companies.ry7IDOwmIj.html

Edited by msfntor
link added

Actress Christina Applegate who got sick with multiple sclerosis: "I probably won't play anymore"

11/13/2022, 6:03:19 AM

After being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, Christina Applegate said she's "pretty sure" her role in Netflix's You Die For Me could be her last

Christina Applegate (retd)

Actress Christina Applegate has said she's "pretty sure" that her role in Die For Me may be her last on-screen role, after being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.

The American actress said that filming the last season of the series sometimes felt "like torture".

Applegate, who will be 50 at the end of the month, an Emmy Award winner for her guest role in the series "Friends" and who is best remembered for her character as Kelly Bundy in the series "Married Plus", announced in August 2021 that she had been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis a few months earlier.

Applegate stars in the black comedy "For Me You Die", the third and final season of which will be released on Netflix on Thursday, in the role of Jen Harding, a real estate agent whose husband died in a hit-and-run accident. In an interview with the Variety newspaper, which took place ahead of the actress' star awarding ceremony tomorrow (Monday) of Hollywood, Applegate said that her role in the series is "probably the last role I'll play." She explained that because of her illness, she doesn't know how much she's capable of acting in front of a camera in the future. She added that she's still "new to this" and "trying to figure it out."

Christina Applegate, January 2020 (Photo: GettyImages, Leon Bennett)

The actress, who was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis during the production of the series "For Me You Are Dying", candidly revealed how difficult it was for her to shoot the last season.

She said that at first she did not understand what had happened to her, as her toes and pads of her feet had been numb over time.

"I ignored it. And suddenly I fell," she said.

She added that it was necessary to take her in a wheelchair on set, that she "sleeps all the time" and that she has gained about 20 kilos since she was diagnosed.

"I was diagnosed while we were working, and I had to call everyone and say: 'I have multiple sclerosis, guys. Like, vot de paque! And then there was a kind of learning - we're all learning - what am I going to be able to do.'

Applegate added that producing the series gave her a few months off "so I could grieve and find therapy," and rearranged the schedule every day depending on how she felt.

"You can see the struggle, and you can see it throughout the season. You can see that I'm in pain," she shared.

The actress also said that she has no plans to watch the last season herself, adding: "It's too hard for me."

However, she felt it was "too important" not to finish filming.

Although Applegate said she's "pretty sure" her role in Die For Me might be her last, she hasn't completely closed the door on acting in the future.

"It's about finding what I'm able to do. I'm so new at this right now. It takes time to understand this disease and understand what's causing the symptoms," she said.

She added that she wants to be able to work somewhere, "where they won't think I'm a diva if I say, 'Hey, I can only work five hours.'"

Applegate added that she probably won't star in the series again, adding that it "was so hard" to shoot the series "You're Dying to Me."

She also said that she "really enjoys being a mother now".

Applegate has an 11-year-old girl and a husband.

"But who knows, I'll probably get bored being in my room," she said, adding that she would still like to "develop things and produce things. I have a lot of ideas in my head and I just need to implement them."

Here: https://newsrnd.com/tech/2022-11-13-actress-christina-applegate-who-got-sick-with-multiple-sclerosis--"i-probably-won-t-play-anymore"---voila!-culture.S1NJs9gCro.html

What exactly happened to Christina Applegate? Everything about multiple sclerosis

11/18/2022, 7:05:55 AM

Multiple sclerosis is a disease of young people, and even though it is possible to live a full and normal life with it - it is not an easy disease to deal with the discovery and its consequences. Here's what you should know about her

Dr. Keren Regev explains what causes multiple sclerosis and how to live with this disease (Walla System)

The beloved actress Christina Applegate announced more than a year ago that she had been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, but recently her story entered the hearts of many after she announced that she would probably not be able to act anymore, and even told candidly that filming the last season of her series sometimes felt "like torture" .

A few days after this announcement, she appeared at a ceremony to award a star to her name on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, barefoot and with the help of a walking stick.

Multiple sclerosis is a chronic disease that causes damage to the central nervous system.

Multiple sclerosis has a wide range of symptoms, and it affects everyone differently - from a symptom-free disease to severe disability.

Dr. Keren Regev, director of the multiple sclerosis service at the Ichilov Hospital's neurological system, was a guest on the "Expert Clinic" podcast to explain what causes multiple sclerosis and how to live with this disease.

"Multiple sclerosis is a rare disease despite its misleading name, it is a disease that affects 1 in 1,000 people," said Dr. Regev at the beginning of her speech, clarifying that it is a very female disease. "autoimmune disease, in which the immune system attacks the tissues of the body itself, more common in women, because the immune system of women requires more flexibility due to pregnancy and childbirth, so when it has more degrees of freedom, there is also a greater chance of mistakes, and a greater risk of autoimmune diseases."

MS is also a disease of young people, and it usually starts between the ages of 20 and 40.

The disease is more common among smokers as well as among first degree relatives of multiple sclerosis patients.

What are the symptoms of multiple sclerosis?

"It is a disease whose width is very wide, and it is very different from one person to another. It is a disease that can sporadically damage any of the sites of the central nervous system (the brain, the optic nerve and the spinal cord), and this is the supreme command of all our functions," explained Dr. Regev. Therefore, multiple sclerosis can cause damage to the visual system - a rapid decrease in vision, or pain; a decrease in sensation, sensorineural atrophy usually of half the face or half of the body; impairment of balance and dizziness; disorders of the urinary system (frequency and urgency or retention of urine ); hearing damage, as well as other injuries.

"Each of these symptoms should lead to clarification.

I don't want to spread fear, but I would be happy if we could get people tested faster," said Dr. Regev, "the earlier we detect, the sooner we will preserve functional brain tissue for years, and prevent processes of premature aging of these systems."

She added that the diagnostic delay in sclerosis averages about a year, which is too much.

The symptoms of sclerosis vary greatly from person to person.

It is important to clarify that the symptoms of sclerosis vary greatly from person to person, and although there are cases of rapid and severe deterioration, as in the case of Applegate, there are also other cases.

"It's not that once you get the diagnosis you're on the path to a wheelchair. It's a disease that varies from person to person, there are many people who have been sick for many years and don't see and don't know, they get treatment and live a completely normal life," said Dr. Regev.

How do you live with multiple sclerosis?

"Like any other chronic disease, diabetes or blood pressure, it is true that multiple sclerosis cannot be eliminated, but it is possible to live a full and normal life with it. It is true that the disease will not disappear, but we know how to manage it and we know how to keep it under control," explained Dr. Regev, "The disease comes in such waves that are followed by improvement.

So it is possible that after there is such a wave and we have treated it sharply to shorten the attack, the person will return to a functional life, and then we can also prevent such new flare-ups, and more importantly - we can prevent this process of chronic and slow damage to the nervous system that accompanies this process.

With early treatment, the degenerative process can be prevented."

She added that there are currently no less than 17 drugs for multiple sclerosis.

"There are different levels of treatment intensity. There are pills, there are self-injections, there are infusions, there are medicines that are given once a year, once a month and medicines that are taken every day, and this allows us to tailor this suit in a way that is precise for each and every patient," said Dr. Regev, "There are many considerations, but fortunately, a multitude of options allows us to find the best solution for each and every person, according to their medical profile as well as their personal profile"

There is room for optimism

The improvement in diagnosis and the range of existing treatments allows people diagnosed with multiple sclerosis to live a normal life.

"In the past, most people after about 10 years of illness progressed in terms of the damage, in terms of the use of walking aids or the cognitive decline, but today the proportion of people who need walking aids or who suffer from functional disorders is much lower, and we attribute this to the effective and early treatment, as well as the choice the right treatment for the patient and proper monitoring," said Dr. Regev.

Although there is plenty of reason for optimism, said Dr. Regev, this is a disease that is complex to deal with.

"This is a terribly big crisis, and people who are told that they have multiple sclerosis, the feeling of 'the sky has fallen' is the feeling they are dealing with, it is a difficult feeling, and it happens to people at a young age, when life is just beginning and many decisions have not yet been made. It is a complex struggle."

Here: https://newsrnd.com/life/2022-11-18-what-exactly-happened-to-christina-applegate--everything-about-multiple-sclerosis---voila!-health.Hynpej48o.html

- so nothing about Vitamin D level?..

Edited by msfntor
highlightings

On 11/15/2022 at 11:53 PM, msfntor said:

Check your ears NOW!..

This man thought he was going deaf, but it turns out he just had an earplug stuck in his ear for FIVE YEARS!:buehehe:

Why did you delete the context, the image and the article link of this post?

12 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Why did you delete the context, the image and the article link of this post?

Hmm cause I think now that it's bored to you all...that this does not please you all...

Do you want me to restore what I have erased?..

1 hour ago, msfntor said:

Hmm cause I think now that it's bored to you all...that this does not please you all...

What do you mean? Are you trying to say your posts are useless? They aren't.

Edited by mina7601