The MSFN café - A Penny for Your Thoughts

XPerceniol

16 hours ago, msfntor said:

This example is very valid. The russian orthodox church is is completely overrun by the KGB/FSB agents.

This makes me happy that you are of the same opinion as me...

Count me in 1,000%, you guys know how I feel about it, I've vented a few times when republicans here are praising Putin. Make my stomach turn - if only Regan could see what this party has turned into.

End rant:

Edited by XPerceniol
Sorry, Reagan, typo

23 hours ago, msfntor said:
23 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

I wonder if messing with the pagefile size might help us? I don't how to do that and allow windows to take care of it.

Here too, Windows take care of it natively.

I wrote about my recipe in the other thread regarding the page file. You might save a bit of space if you size it right and prevent fragmentation that may be caused by auto-resizing. You might want to check after setting fixed size if it's still fragmented.

Still, if I'm not mistaken, applications can still crash on low memory even with decently sized page file due to virtual address space fragmentation, at least 32-bit ones only have 2-3 GB to play with.

Edited by UCyborg

16 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Count me in 1,000%, you guys know how I feel about it, I've vented a few times when republicans here are praising Putin. Make my stomach turn - if only Regan could see what this party has turned into.

End rant:

But understand, I don't profess to know the solution and I don't think there is an easy feasible answer to world problems. Just 'little old me' in this world; powerless.

"The first thing to do with this website, if you use uBlock O. like me, and not Proxomitron, is to allow (put in green) www.popularmechanics.com and hearstapps.com."

Every Glorious Image From the James Webb Space Telescope (So Far) - 20 images

Take a peek at all of the stars, galaxies, and breathtaking nebulas from the groundbreaking telescope.

BY MANASEE WAGH

NOV 2, 2022

What’s the oldest galaxy humanity has ever seen? Our vision now extends to astonishingly cosmic distances. On July 12, the James Webb Space Telescope’s near-infrared and mid-infrared instruments issued their first clear glimpses of thousands of galaxies in a deep-field view that took advantage of gravitational lensing, when the powerful gravitational field of a huge group of galaxies bends the light rays from more distant galaxies, pulling them into our view. Webb fills in the gaps with infrared instruments, whose data can be combined with previous visible and ultraviolet spectrum imaging, providing the first complete images of planets and galaxies.

One of the galaxies Webb saw emerged from a fledgling universe, only 235 million years after the Big Bang, making it the oldest galaxy we’ve ever laid eyes on. In fact, CEERS-93316 is an astounding 35 billion light-years away.

The images here include all of the publicly-released Webb photos and descriptions, plus some edits that amateurs have created from original Webb data. For a complete list of images and their descriptions, see the official Webb Gallery, where you’ll also find analysis graphs that explain the properties of distant objects in space, such as Exoplanet 96B’s atmospheric composition.

Look here: https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/deep-space/g40810724/webb-telescope-images-gallery/

12 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Doesn't this work if I'm French and served in the French military ? I mean we are NATO, no ?

Absolutely so, people have fought for freedoms that I never take for granted.

I wish I knew what to say as I see your bored. I think I had too much action today - sensory overload and I hardly did anything Lol, but oh well, hope you will enjoy a good game perhaps. I remember when I looked forward to Saturdays night to party until 4AM in New York City, but that was mid 90's, and now, I've turned 180 into loner city. You'd never believe it, I was once very social and now ...

I'm ok, I guess and I can take bored. My life is so boring and mundane. Just, I don't know really.

I'm about ready to turn in early so see you in the AM. Yeah in bed by 10 now.

Take care, D :)

Hope everyone is alright.

5 Simple Tricks to Reduce Your Risk of Depression, According to a Neuroscientist

Plus, what physically happens in your brain when you suffer from clinical depression.

BY KEN KAWADA - PUBLISHED: AUG 31, 2022

PM

In Part 2 of our neuroscience expert series with social media science communicator Ben Rein, I sat down with him to discuss major depressive disorder and how it affects the brain’s chemistry and function in surprising ways.

Rein, a neuroscientist at Stanford University, amassed a large following after one of his videos went viral in 2020. Since then, he has dedicated his platform to educating people on topics in neuroscience, creating engaging short-form videos for over 600,000 followers on his TikTok. (Scroll down to watch our full conversation about the brain and depression.)

Major depressive disorder, also known as clinical depression, is characterized by ongoing depressed mood or a loss of interest in activities that ultimately impairs daily life. When we’re suffering from depression, Rein explains, certain parts of our brain can actually shrink and lose gray matter volume. (Gray matter being the cell bodies of neurons). These areas include the hippocampus, which controls your memory and learning, and the prefrontal cortex, which controls higher-level thinking.

While there have been plenty of studies on clinical depression, neuroscientists like Rein are not entirely sure what’s going on in the brain when people suffer from the condition. Currently, there are two common treatments for depression: cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and antidepressant prescriptions, such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). SSRIs in particular have been effective in treating depression, an effect likely driven by increased serotonin signaling.

🧠 More Brain Stories to Nerd Out On

We Could Hack Our Brains to Become Better, More Moral People

Quantum Physics Could Finally Explain Consciousness, Scientists Say

This Is Why Your Brain Can't Handle More Than One Thought at a Time

Scientists Finally Have Clues About What We See When We Die

The cause of depression has been widely debated over the last couple of decades, though some researchers have theorized that a lack of serotonin in the brain can cause depression. However, a review published last month in the journal Molecular Psychiatry refutes that hypothesis. “Our comprehensive review of the major strands of research on serotonin shows there is no convincing evidence that depression is associated with, or caused by, lower serotonin concentrations or activity,” the authors note.

However, that doesn’t mean you should skip out on SSRIs if you’ve been diagnosed with clinical depression. “It doesn’t need to be the problem to be the solution in the brain,” Rein tells me.

MISSED PART 1? WATCH THIS NEXT ⬇️

So Much You Know About Your Brain Is a Lie

So, are there actually ways for us to prevent depression or other mental health disorders? According to Rein, there are a few common-sense things you can do:

Get enough sleep each night

Eat a healthy diet

Exercise regularly (yoga, in particular, has been linked to positive outcomes)

Try mindfulness practices like meditation

Avoid social isolation

by KEN KAWADA

A creative with a curious mind, Ken has been producing non-scripted content since 2017. He is a graduate of Syracuse University, where he studied Television, Radio, and Film. His favorite topics include history, food, and extraterrestrials. When he’s not shooting and editing videos, you can find him creating memes from photoshop and lounging with his two cats.

Here: https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/a40980031/tricks-to-reduce-your-risk-of-depression/

Edited by msfntor
highlights

Check your ears NOW!..

This man thought he was going deaf, but it turns out he just had an earplug stuck in his ear for FIVE YEARS!:buehehe:

by Harriet Rigby

··Nov 15, 2022 · NottheBee.com

Wallace Lee, from Dorset, UK, chalked up his increase in hearing problems to a career in aviation, but his issue turned out to be much more basic: He had an earplug lodged in one ear for five years.

Lee explained what happened to the BBC: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-dorset-63599329

Five years ago when I was visiting my family in Australia I bought these little earplugs that you can put different attachments in, depending on the noise you want to phase out on an aircraft.

One of these little attachments had lodged in there and it had been in there ever since.

I have so many questions here.

Did he not notice when it got stuck in his ear? Did he think it was going to fall out on its own? Did he forget about it?

Why did it take him 5 years to do anything about it?

So after 5 years of thinking he was losing his hearing in one ear, and presumably 5 years of his wife nagging him to get his hearing checked, he decided to buy a home endoscope kit.

I know you were expecting me to say he finally decided to go to the ENT, but no, he's a real man, so he performed his own checkup.

With the endoscope kit, he could see that there was in fact a foreign object in his ear canal, so he finally called in the professionals.

Lee explained that the doctor was quickly able to remove the portion of the earplug with tweezers:

Instantly I could hear everything in the room. The fog that was in my head for all those years went and left - and I could hear perfectly well.

It was just such a relief... it's like hearing correctly for the first time all over again.

It's almost as if taking the earplug out of your ear would unplug your ear!

article-6373e7fcca8d7.gif

Here: https://notthebee.com/article/this-man-thought-he-was-going-deaf-but-it-turns-out-he-just-had-an-earplug-stuck-in-his-ear-for-five-years/

Edited by msfntor
without serious reason......