The MSFN café - A Penny for Your Thoughts

XPerceniol

r/interestingasf*** - reddit

•Posted by u/freudian_nipps

1 day ago

The Aye-Aye, a primate native to Madagascar. According to local legends, the Aye-Aye is a demon that can kill just by pointing its finger.

Here: https://www.reddit.com/r/interestingasf***/comments/yp4xre/the_ayeaye_a_primate_native_to_madagascar/

- (so don't listen to local legends,)

One In Five CPR Survivors Remember The Experience Of Dying, And It’s Not So Bad

This is what it's like to receive the kiss of life.

by Ben Taub

The inevitability of death causes us mortals a great deal of anxiety, yet new research involving those who have come back from the brink reveals that the experience of passing away may be less distressing than many of us think. After interviewing patients who had undergone cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) following a cardiac arrest, researchers found that one in five had lucid experiences of death, despite being seemingly out for the count.

The study involved 567 people whose hearts had stopped beating while in hospital before doctors performed the emergency procedure to prevent their departure. While fewer than 10 percent recovered sufficiently to be discharged from hospital, those who survived their ordeal reported a sense of separation from their body and observing events without pain or distress.

Others said that they were able to assess and evaluate their life while they were apparently unconscious, complying with the old cliché about our lives flashing before our eyes as we die.

Rather than simply relying on the testimonies of the nearly-departed, however, the researchers also analyzed patients’ brainwave activity patterns while they underwent CPR. In doing so, they detected spikes of activity including gamma, delta, theta, alpha, and beta waves, all of which typically arise during conscious processes. Amazingly, these bursts of activity were present up to an hour into CPR, despite no signs of life from patients during this period.

“These recalled experiences and brain wave changes may be the first signs of the so-called near-death experience, and we have captured them for the first time in a large study,” said study author Sam Parnia in a statement.

“Our results offer evidence that while on the brink of death and in a coma, people undergo a unique inner conscious experience, including awareness without distress.”

The data was collected as part of the AWARE II (AWAreness during REsuscitation) clinical trial and follows on from the first AWARE study, which was published in 2014. During this earlier round of research, the authors interviewed 101 CPR survivors, 46 percent of whom said they could remember the experience.

These memories comprised seven major cognitive themes, including seeing a bright light, a sense of deja-vu, recalling life events, and encountering family members. Some survivors said they saw animals or plants, while others recounted being fearful or experiencing violence or persecution during their brief withdrawal from life. ...

Read more: https://www.iflscience.com/one-in-five-cpr-survivors-remember-the-experience-of-dying-and-it-s-not-so-bad-66091

Origins Of Mysterious Radio Wave Bursts Discovered

by Stephen Lunz

The source of puzzling radio wave bursts detected by two of the world's largest telescopes has been found, and the answer turns out to come from the research facilities' tea rooms, not extragalactic space.

Earlier this year, Swinburne University's Emily Petroff was the lead author of a report on the first observation of a fast radio burst (FRB) in real time. Previously, the enormously powerful but poorly understood events known as FRBs had only been detected in the records of large radio telescopes years after they happened.

However, among those records was something else, which astronomers named perytons. The first peryton detected was in 1998, although it was not recognized as such until 2011. Perytons look sufficiently like FRBs that astronomers even speculated that the first FRB, known as 010724, might actually have been a peryton.

Perytons last about half a second and are “frequency-swept,” meaning different frequencies arrive at different times, which in perytons's case means the high frequencies appear first. Petroff says, frequency-sweeping is commonly associated with signals that have passed through an interstellar medium that has delayed certain frequencies more than others.

However, while FRBs are believed to come from outside our own galaxy, perytons were thought to be terrestrial in origin, since they registered on multiple beams of the radio telescopes, something that should only be possible for events that are very nearby or spread across a huge area of the sky.

However, according to Petroff, “A lot of theories thought it might be atmospheric; radio pulses from lighting or ball lightning, etc.” So Petroff set out to solve the problem. As one of her co-authors, Dr. Evan Keane, said on twitter, “As a scientist you are basically a detective solving mysteries—it's fun.”

One clue Petroff had was that all recorded perytons were observed during daylight, and indeed during business hours. ...

NBJOkyB.jpg?1

Read more: https://www.iflscience.com/astronomical-quest-leads-ovens-27839

On 11/7/2022 at 8:17 AM, msfntor said:

63666ab9e650463666ab9e6505.jpg

Voilà, no more text, which seemed to be annoying for some...

Gawd ... that looks so gross! Lucky I don't wind up with that crap, but other guys here love it and wonder why they feel like s*** all the time. My chest hurt looking at it.

13 hours ago, msfntor said:

Origins Of Mysterious Radio Wave Bursts Discovered

by Stephen Lunz

The source of puzzling radio wave bursts detected by two of the world's largest telescopes has been found, and the answer turns out to come from the research facilities' tea rooms, not extragalactic space.

Earlier this year, Swinburne University's Emily Petroff was the lead author of a report on the first observation of a fast radio burst (FRB) in real time. Previously, the enormously powerful but poorly understood events known as FRBs had only been detected in the records of large radio telescopes years after they happened.

However, among those records was something else, which astronomers named perytons. The first peryton detected was in 1998, although it was not recognized as such until 2011. Perytons look sufficiently like FRBs that astronomers even speculated that the first FRB, known as 010724, might actually have been a peryton.

Perytons last about half a second and are “frequency-swept,” meaning different frequencies arrive at different times, which in perytons's case means the high frequencies appear first. Petroff says, frequency-sweeping is commonly associated with signals that have passed through an interstellar medium that has delayed certain frequencies more than others.

However, while FRBs are believed to come from outside our own galaxy, perytons were thought to be terrestrial in origin, since they registered on multiple beams of the radio telescopes, something that should only be possible for events that are very nearby or spread across a huge area of the sky.

However, according to Petroff, “A lot of theories thought it might be atmospheric; radio pulses from lighting or ball lightning, etc.” So Petroff set out to solve the problem. As one of her co-authors, Dr. Evan Keane, said on twitter, “As a scientist you are basically a detective solving mysteries—it's fun.”

One clue Petroff had was that all recorded perytons were observed during daylight, and indeed during business hours. ...

NBJOkyB.jpg?1

Read more: https://www.iflscience.com/astronomical-quest-leads-ovens-27839

**Reading now**

14 hours ago, msfntor said:

... believed to come from outside our own galaxy, perytons were thought to be terrestrial in origin, since they registered on multiple beams of the radio telescopes, something that should only be possible for events that are very nearby or spread across a huge area of the sky.

Ok, now you're all going to think I'm nuts (oh don't be so shocked). Sometimes, I feel "vibrations" that nobody else feels and I smell things others don't smell.

Just ... hmmmm :dubbio:

On 10/30/2022 at 11:21 AM, msfntor said:

Yeah the wars are extremely bad thing, they must be avoided, you should avoid them

^This! Have to turn it off sometimes to calibrate and recompose because toxicity is poison. Today in fact, I don't' intend to speak to anybody at all if I don't' have to. People went ape-s*** last night and I'm not sure why over here, but I was in bed. People were yelling in the hall for some reason and I don't even care to know. Need to take care of myself, I don't know.

On 10/30/2022 at 5:15 AM, UCyborg said:

Thanks, and good to see you back! I'm trying to focus on the positive, though it isn't always easy.

Hi ..

Been a while and wondering how you're doing; hopefully better! No not always easy but try to be not give the negative too much merit. But, yeah, hard, but we care about you here.

3 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Gawd ... that looks so gross! Lucky I don't wind up with that crap, but other guys here love it and wonder why they feel like s*** all the time. My chest hurt looking at it.

Ha, burritos from Texas, yummy to me!

2 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

I feel "vibrations" that nobody else feels

It's your neighbor who does the housework with vacuum cleaner...

and I smell things others don't smell.

It's your neighbor who's cooking, let's see.

Today in fact, I don't' intend to speak to anybody at all if I don't' have to.

I am not able to do that, I like to communicate, even if someone does not answer immediately in a desirable way... so I don't lose hope...

On 11/8/2022 at 7:56 PM, D.Draker said:

celebrate Halloween... atheists

I already wrote, I don't celebrate it and never did, hope this cheers you up a bit. 

It's good this one, so I don't lose hope for now...

You wrote too: "play kill .. as a child"

- I've NEVER played kill as a child. Insane, seems to me...

... suicide hallowen costumes - then suicides in real life.. 
... play to kill as a child... then ??.  scary and terrible

- education not at top... cause:
As the twig is bent, so is the tree inclined.

Edited by msfntor

20 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Although I am not a believer, I have entered a few churches in my life. Unfortunately, not a single bolt of lightning has struck. Not-working.gif  

Haha, good this one, about lighting... at least you are open enough to visit the churches... this is our heritage, our centers of western and christian culture.

10 minutes ago, msfntor said:

Haha, good this one, about lighting... at least you are open enough to visit the churches... this is our heritage, our centers of western and christian culture.

It was a little touch of sarcasm. I sometimes use this linguistic stylistic device to soften and lighten things up a bit. :)