The MSFN café - A Penny for Your Thoughts

XPerceniol

On 6/26/2022 at 4:59 PM, XPerceniol said:

I am certainly pro choice so everyone can take that to the bank, HOWEVER, that being said, I wish I was never born at all. Would've been much easier, I guess.

So much easier, I agree. I also feel life is a burden a lot of the time, so much nonsense that could've been avoided. Just thinking about the future brings depression and anxiety.

Who knows, maybe the world ends soon and our problems will be blown away just like that. Oh well...

Wherever you are, I hope you're still holding up. I'm going for a walk with a dog now...

What is and what is not a bipolar disorder, the most trivialized serious mental problem

"Don't confuse it with normal mood swings, intense emotional reactions, or unstable personalities. 

Bipolar disorder is probably the most trivialized serious mental disorder.

In contrast to the terms schizophrenia or anorexia nervosa, which bring to mind something sordid and dark, the so-called “bipolarity” hints at a playful alternation between the expansive and the sad, between the friendly and the angry.

“My boss must be bipolar” or “I'm a little bipolar” – followed by a knowing chuckle – are already classics of contemporary trivial conversations.

This misunderstanding is particularly unfair to the patients and families who do suffer from this serious disorder, the seventh leading cause of disability worldwide. ...

... the intensity and the depth of normal human emotions are not a bipolar disorder.

Additionally, bipolar disorder can be confused with an emotional instability caused by certain character traits. ...

... ... There are personality traits, of multifactorial cause, such as the permanent desire to please others or to be the center of attention, to control the environment (including our loved ones), the need to be endlessly admired and flattered, a real or imagined fear of abandonment, and more, which easily lead to emotional instability, to sudden mood changes.

A person starts the day quite happy, but finds out that they are not invited to the company dinner (the email went to the spam folder) and suddenly their heart goes to their feet and they think that they are being ghosted and that no one appreciates and loves them enough, and they become filled with rage and contemplation.

Indeed: your boss is not bipolar, she is probably narcissistic or controlling.

Bipolar disorder is something else.

It affects around 1.5% of the population and is the alternation of phases of depression (an actual depressive illness, not “slumps” or frustrations) with manic episodes in which the subject is abnormally expansive or irritable, with verbosity, accelerated thinking, megalomaniacal ideas of omnipotence, a reduction in sleep hours (not insomnia: the patient does not need to sleep), impulsiveness, risky behavior, exorbitant expenses and, in almost half of the cases, delusions and hallucinations (they may believe that they have powers or hear voices).

It is a serious thing: the patient does not think they have any problem at all – it is common for them to refuse admission or medication – and it's hard to predict how the case will end, but it could be badly.

Fortunately, there are useful drugs to “reduce” these conditions and others – the blessed lithium salts, to which at least a third of patients fully respond – that prevent relapses.

We have more trouble treating bipolar depression, as there are fewer and less effective tools, and much of the disability of the disorder is associated with it.

At Barcelona's Hospital Clìnic they have one of the world's leading groups for bipolar disorder, and one of their contributions has been to provide evidence of the efficacy of psychoeducation for this disease.

Giving the patient tools to learn about the disorder, to deal with it, to minimize its impact on each one's personal project, to adhere to treatments that work... this has turned out to be essential for a good evolution.

Bipolar disorder is a serious condition and we must offer all effective resources for the affected population, in a universally accessible way.

This requires providing means, personnel and knowledge, and fighting the trivialization of the term."

Read more here: https://newsrnd.com/news/2022-07-05-what-is-and-what-is-not-a-bipolar-disorder--the-most-trivialized-serious-mental-problem.r1xfX5cZi9.html

Edited by msfntor

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2022 at 8:04 AM, UCyborg said:

So much easier, I agree. I also feel life is a burden a lot of the time, so much nonsense that could've been avoided. Just thinking about the future brings depression and anxiety.

Who knows, maybe the world ends soon and our problems will be blown away just like that. Oh well...

Wherever you are, I hope you're still holding up. I'm going for a walk with a dog now...

I'm sorry your struggling .. I can lie, that also runs through my mind when feeling hopeless. I also understand feeling like a burden to other. Its not good but just to let you know I can relate. I'm glad you are able to walk your dog. I also hope your holding up as best as can be.

10 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Oh yes, I do take low dose aspirin per directed by my cardiology. 

YES me too, also prescribed by my cardiologist! Indispensable for my health, for my good mood as well....I do not take any supplements (for the moment), I eat very well thanks to my wife...
- and I'm healthy!

- so tell me what happened with your health, please, with the details, please...

..aspirin, cause these are very dangerous
and difficult times.

t3hnzdtkcaw91.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Edited by msfntor

On 10/27/2022 at 11:59 PM, XPerceniol said:

Thank you; Mina, I'm sorry I caused you worry. You a nice person.

Thanks, I hope you're fine. It's good to see you back. We hope you don't leave us away suddenly again.

On 10/27/2022 at 11:58 PM, XPerceniol said:

I'm sorry your struggling .. I can lie, that also runs through my mind when feeling hopeless. I also understand feeling like a burden to other. Its not good but just to let you know I can relate. I'm glad you are able to walk your dog. I also hope your holding up as best as can be.

Thanks, and good to see you back! I'm trying to focus on the positive, though it isn't always easy. We have an extended weekend, the following week starts with 2 holidays. The second one is rather bleak though, the day of memory of the dead.