The MSFN café - A Penny for Your Thoughts

XPerceniol

To Tripredacus: I wrongly presumed every town had at least one supermarket, so I didn't expect anyone would need to walk four hours to get food.  It takes me less than two hours for the entire grocery trip.  It takes me 50mins to go to the town centre.  Basically, it gets easier (I started last October, the rain and the snow were no problems with the right clothing).  I love it!  Walking (while listening to your favourite music) is very therapeutic !  My next test is the summer: will the frozen food survive the trips ?

To NotHereToPlayGames: Walking is better (not just because I don't know how to ride a bike), no maintenance and it's safer.  As for flat battery, I used to have that problem too UNTIL I got a gadget from Ebay just a USB recharger (size of a laptop SATA drive) with croc clips to jump start.  I thought it was too good to be true, but it was that easy to use.  I'm rubbish with DIY etc, if I could do it anyone can.  It was a best investment ever! 

To UCyborg: I know what you meant.  However, I just felt so sad to see so much destruction that could have been avoided.  The other leaders could have helped by reasonable mediation instead of taunting and provoking day in day out (what do they expect with more provocation, ammunition and sanctioning?)  Now the innocent people have to bear the consequences, as if we had not enough problems with the pandemic of madness already.  I don't know how politicians could possibly claim ownership of other countries.  Patriotism is a man made concept like religion, we are the same species sharing the same planet.  It's so foolish to self-destruct.  The World could have been a lovely place.  Now we can't even appreciate one and other in peace.

PS Apart from the no hairdryer, no heating and walk whenever possible, there must be plenty other ideas people can share?  Yesterday I discovered another one: soak the dried pasta in a pan of cold water until soft, it takes less time to cook.  Give it a try.

5 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

And that's one way, so an 8 hour commute of just walking.

Mine would be over 11 hours. :P You must have used a different calculator since your 12 miles get almost 5 hours with this one.

We really could work less...

58 minutes ago, xpw10 said:

To UCyborg: I know what you meant.  However, I just felt so sad to see so much destruction that could have been avoided.  The other leaders could have helped by reasonable mediation instead of taunting and provoking day in day out (what do they expect with more provocation, ammunition and sanctioning?)  Now the innocent people have to bear the consequences, as if we had not enough problems with the pandemic of madness already.  I don't know how politicians could possibly claim ownership of other countries.  Patriotism is a man made concept like religion, we are the same species sharing the same planet.  It's so foolish to self-destruct.  The World could have been a lovely place.  Now we can't even appreciate one and other in peace.

I wish things were better, it's like decentness is just statistical anomaly.

Some people are saying they can't believe this is happening in 2022. I've had at the back of my mind for a long time that something big and awful like that would happen eventually, though I didn't expect it to occur in this decade.

If nothing else, at least we can try to be a better person individually.

I just used Google Maps on Directions mode and changed it from driving to walking.

I live close to a supermarket and I used to live close to work. But my company got purchased a long time ago and the office moved farther away. I could walk to the old building in 45 minutes each way if I wanted to.

On 4/5/2022 at 3:03 PM, Tripredacus said:

I just used Google Maps on Directions mode and changed it from driving to walking.

I live close to a supermarket and I used to live close to work. But my company got purchased a long time ago and the office moved farther away. I could walk to the old building in 45 minutes each way if I wanted to.

Yes 45 minutes is definitely a nice distance to walk to work.  I used to work in London and was so fed up with the tube strikes.  I decided to walk to work and it was great.  Walking is so enjoyable.  I now go grocery walk in auto pilot mode (the music helps), I seem to arrive in no time.  The return trip is more effort carrying the back pack.  Still, not too bad.  It's an excuse to exercise too.  Highly recommended.  The real test is in the summer.

Edited by xpw10
I stand corrected. Today, the almighty wind nearly blew me away !

On 11/29/2021 at 1:21 PM, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

I wont bother looking for another one again. All I had were first interesting then found out more or they did not like way I was. Time for you to start living again and give time for yourself and hobbies. I have started think they are not worth my time and should not waste my life them.

I noticed your notifications since had mentions like crazy and was thinking why but this explains a lot.

I'm probably a little late to discover this forum.  I find some of the messages on this board very interesting.  You all sound like really nice people.  I have read your reply to Dixel's message (in reply to XPerceniol's) and couldn't help wondering if this sadness is some kind of gender miscommunication.  I actually have heard my female friends made the same complaint about men.  How ironic, never thought that men feel that way too.  Recently I have discovered a highly intelligent philosopher called Charlie Munger.  He has so much life wisdom to share with younger people.  One advice he gives is to "lower your expectation in order to be happy" as the first rule to happiness.  Maybe we all expect too much in that department?  I wished I had known about his existence long ago.  I'm still learning.  If interested, you can search for him on Youtube.

5 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

If you expect nothing, you can't be disappointed.

Just how I go about life in general.

What little social life I had died shortly after getting employed. I expect nothing...but a lot of emails and phone calls.

How do people end up together anyway? It doesn't make sense to me. My parents don't belong together...at all...yet here I am. Gee, thanks mom and dad for bringing me into this mess.

I think "having low expectation" in a relationship does stand a better chance for success.  Albert Einstein allegedly said, “Women marry men hoping they will change, and men marry women hoping they will not. So each is inevitably disappointed.”  

Having said that, I'm not sure it's a good strategy in other areas of life.  Without hopes and dreams, life would be too bland.

Perhaps reframing the outcome would be a better approach.  Being happy is just a state of mind, having a good imagination is the key.

On 4/14/2022 at 2:54 PM, xpw10 said:

Having said that, I'm not sure it's a good strategy in other areas of life.  Without hopes and dreams, life would be too bland.

Perhaps reframing the outcome would be a better approach.  Being happy is just a state of mind, having a good imagination is the key.

yeah ... the happiness trap comes to mind. Balance is the key :)

On 4/8/2022 at 2:33 PM, UCyborg said:

Just how I go about life in general.

What little social life I had died shortly after getting employed. I expect nothing...but a lot of emails and phone calls.

How do people end up together anyway? It doesn't make sense to me. My parents don't belong together...at all...yet here I am. Gee, thanks mom and dad for bringing me into this mess.

Yeah, IMO - being social is overrated, better to find a way to enjoy our own company because in the end the only one you can (truly) count on is yourslef.  

On 4/9/2022 at 9:22 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

“My expectations were reduced to zero when I was 21. Everything since then has been a bonus."  ~ Stephen Hawking

Life has taught me to set 'the bar' lower. 

Sorry I've been MIA lately, been rough I guess, I don't know. Hope everyone is doing better than I am. 

On 4/19/2022 at 8:43 PM, XPerceniol said:

Yeah, IMO - being social is overrated, better to find a way to enjoy our own company because in the end the only one you can (truly) count on is yourslef.

It's an extroverted world out there. Or so it seems.

More often than ever, I keep hearing how socializing is important health-wise, especially for older people.

On 4/19/2022 at 7:45 PM, XPerceniol said:

Life has taught me to set 'the bar' lower. 

Sorry I've been MIA lately, been rough I guess, I don't know. Hope everyone is doing better than I am. 

To know that you are not alone might help?  Even living in a better part of the World, all good people have to struggle much the same in life.  We do not push the boundary and cross the line, so we expect others to do the same.  Unfortunately, it's just wishful thinking because there are plenty of people out there who just do not play by the rules, nor do they care how much misery they inflict on others.  Of course we get disappointed when we are let down.  We make bad choices in life, once bitten twice shy.  "Do nothing" feels safe but it's depressing.  Humans are meant to be gregarious, however much we would like to defy Nature.  The longer one stays solitary, being able to find a soulmate feels more like a distant dream.  A good strategy now is to create pockets of happiness (an interesting challenge; an intelligent conversation ...).

I'm still reading up on Charlie Munger's mental tricks. This guy has so much wisdom to share with the World.  He says there are also plenty of good like-minded people out there (stay with the good ones and avoid the bad).  One most useful advice is "not to make a tragedy worse".  I'm still learning.

Yeah, while I know being social is important and has its place, the constant yearning to fight our current situation would be the opposite of acceptance. Radical Acceptance (to me) means more about learning to avoid fighting something I've not control. We have become very isolated and some of us more than others; even before the pandemic. I've always been a loner and have gradually stopped trying to "force" social interaction when its not "natural" (so to speak). If it happens, I try to come across as positive even if I'm faking it. Fake it till you make it, I guess. Hope that made sense. I make little sense nowadays.

Edited by XPerceniol