The MSFN café - A Penny for Your Thoughts

XPerceniol

A decision is a decision, even if it comes out of nowhere. Last words... ehm, occasionally I did behave like an angry goose storming into battle. But everyone threatened stood his ground and so there were plenty of interesting discussions. Congratulations and thank you to all of you for sharing lots of knowledge here on MSFN! But which forum will be the centre of discussions about running old computers now? Vogons.org? Maybe board.eclipse.cx?

34 minutes ago, Gansangriff said:

But which forum will be the centre of discussions about running old computers now? Vogons.org? Maybe board.eclipse.cx?

Who knows. I will be keeping break to internet likely. Only will check email from time to time. Maybe you could take break too.

Musical anhedonia is another interesting one. Was positive I had it in my childhood/teen years. Though I realized by late teen years I do actually appreciate music in the context of movies and computer games. Regular music also at later point, but nowhere near the quantity as some other folks, who seem to be finding new stuff they like all the time. If someone asks, I say I'm not much of a music person 'cause I've no idea how that conversation is supposed to go.

I was also wondering how would you call "having to use toilet every 15 min when you drive". That was the major problem after getting my driver's license and before in a lesser extent during driving lessons as well, each session lasting about 2 hours with a break at the half, which of course had to be used to take a leak as the bladder was almost full each time.

Two times it happened that I couldn't make it home before I had to use the toilet again. First time was horrible as I was on "return journey" and there was no place to stop before reaching the destination. Thought it was going to explode. Awful 10 minutes. At the final destination, I went to the toilet in the nearest bar. Second time there was the bus stop on the way with some handy vegetation nearby.

It's weird because there wasn't any conscious fear of driving. I only remember a mild shock going from the modern Toyota Yaris at the school to the old rusty VW Polo, which I got used to soon.

The bladder problem took over a year to subside.

Saw an ad about Eurojackpot recently that there's a draw two times a week now and the maximum jackpot has been increased to 120 million Euros. Holy macaroni, what a load of money.

Interesting read ... thank you for sharing that. Honestly and truthfully, somebody once told me being unstable in an unstable world is "normal" and I sort of remember that, I don't know.  What is a "disorder" "Issue" "Illness" having any basis on get through our day to day happenings if they are not causing us distress?! If I carried around my (so called) diagnosis's then I would be considered "unwell"  in society. Admittedly, I'm pretty removed from society (a hermit) and extremely isolated nowadays and my OCD and Anxiety have made good things (outcomes) that wouldn't have been that case had I not 'labeled' as "Ill" ... those labels, while can help us to better understand what make up out spirit and being and consciousness and awareness, we'd see ourselves as damaged. It what brings us pain and interferes that is what needs to be addressed. I hope that made some sense. Will try to edit if I can better explain. Even in a depressive cycle makes us see where we need to be and if not for the darkness we'd never know the light. sorry, hope that made sense. If not, please ignore and chalk it up to a total nut ramble. Honestly, I would ever want to be (whatever this) "Normal" is people are seeking and jumping through hoops to shape themselves into what society pushes.

10 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Honestly and truthfully, somebody once told me being unstable in an unstable world is "normal" and I sort of remember that, I don't know.

I picked up the belief from certain circles that depression is just the normal reaction to the way things are. Somehow you're supposed handle it 'cause you can't change the world anyway, but you may control your response. And changing yourself, even if it is actually for your own wellbeing, isn't an easy feat neither.

spacer.png

10 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Admittedly, I'm pretty removed from society (a hermit) and extremely isolated nowadays and my OCD and Anxiety have made good things (outcomes) that wouldn't have been that case had I not 'labeled' as "Ill"

I ended up dealing with people for the living. *Studies computers, gets people* The irony. Still in the IT field, though. People can't be bothered to read a several hundred pages manual or using CTRL + F to find what they need. And some just expect things to happen according to their will without any of their input.

In private life, I have kept in touch with a friend from high school, though we don't communicate as much as in the past. I also noticed guys tend to find girlfriends and then they're suddenly "busy" with them.

Edited by UCyborg

There went the 42 inch LG LCD TV at home. Kinda unexpected, it's only 8 years old. Sound works, screen is dead. Will see how much they'll want for the service next week and whether we go that route or fork a bit more for a new one.

The crapload of TVs they sell these days, holy moly! When the choice becomes the burden. Seems the 4K resolution, web browser and YouTube app is standard these days. The old one has some network connectivity, I guess to stream videos shared on the network. Apparently you could even Skype with it, it's not a smart TV though. I wanted to connect it to home network wirelessly once, but it didn't accept the password for some reason and never bothered to change the password to a shorter one to confirm if it's really the problem.

Edited by UCyborg

On 3/26/2022 at 3:07 AM, UCyborg said:

There went the 42 inch LG LCD TV at home. Kinda unexpected, it's only 8 years old.

The crapload of TVs they sell these days, holy moly! When the choice becomes the burden.

I hear you there.

Only six short years ago, all I had were three tube TVs - a 40+ year old 17" color Zenith that still worked when I gave in and trashed it three years ago (once broadcasts went "digital", I couldn't give it away), a 24" flatscreen-tube Sony Trinitron knockoff but forget the name brand, and a 28" Sony Trinitron that took two people to carry it!

My brother was first in the family to buy a "big screen tv".  An impressive 50" that hung on the wall and if you sat on the living room couch directly opposite, you were in awe and amazement but if you sat anywhere else the picture quality was miserable at what was historically considered a normal viewing angle.

My brother would "brag" that he spent $3,500 at a pawn shop for a TV that retailed brand new for over $10,000!  Circa 2001-2002.

He barely made $25,000 per YEAR and it took him FIVE YEARS to pay off that TV.  He'd go to the pawn shop WEEKLY and fork over anywhere from $10 to $30 (unsure why it was not a fixed dollar amount).

My brother was not mathematically-inclined enough to calculate interest charges and realize he ended up paying, by my estimates, anywhere from $5,000 to $6,000.

I was making $54,000 per year and my brother made fun of me for owning tube TVs all the way up to only six short years ago.

I kept telling him, NO WAY IN HADES WILL I SPEND $3,000 FOR A TV, that I will wait for the prices to come down.

I'm now up to four wall-hanging widescreen TVs.

The biggest is 'only' 48" and it only cost me $320 and the other three all cost less than that!

None of them are "smart" TVs but they ALL have "smart" capability by adding a $30 Roku via HDMI.

I will NEVER understand why anybody would pay more than $350 or so for a TV.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

The old one was about 500€ when new. First two TVs shown on one well known web shop here sell for 4800€, 65 and 75 inch Samsungs, 8K. How many streams even let you utilize that? Plus you'd need a big living room for such beast. There's only a small handful of things that are watched here, spanning through about 5 channels max. And mom has to watch news on two channels.

Since digitalization, there's a crapload of channels, though some are locked and have to be paid for. There's about 147 of them that are supposed to work, even before digitialization analog cable TV here had about 50 of them if I remember correctly. Still way beyond enough IMHO. Who has time anyway? Maybe millionaires.

I'm leaning more towards repair by default. It's a decent TV, maybe a bit slow to turn on and switch channels. Hopefully it's a small issue, though I kinda don't expect anything below 100€.

Had a little exercise of putting the TV in my small VW Polo and out. Managed to put it on the back seats with a bit of difficulty (no back doors), with the stand still mounted. We'll probably take the bigger car for this one, it could use more exercise than it's getting.

If you are like me and aren't picky, you'll have no issue getting free or almost-free working TVs (at least in places like my area, i suppose).

I got a big Zenith cabinet TV from the side of the road a couple of years ago (And passed dozens more tube TVs up because I really really didn't need any more tube TVs), and within the last week, two flat screen(!) TVs from the E-waste drop off facility in town. One is either 19" or 20", can't remember, and the other is 32". Both work perfectly. There was also considerably larger TVs there as well that I did not investigate.

Additionally, most thrift stores in my area always have a stock of medium to HUGE flat screens for $15-50. You could also check stuff like craigslist or facebook marketplace for free listings.

From the e-waste place, I've also gotten other stuff: a pair of powerline adapters, some monitors (including a 24" 1080p), and a computer (needed a cleaning and a new PSU, that was all).

YMMV for what you can obtain from E-waste centers, some are very strict on what they allow to be taken, some don't allow anything to be. The official word is that the one local to me couldn't care less and is more than happy to see any be diverted.

It's amazing what people get rid of, and it's sad because of all that does get wasted. Even if it's getting properly recycled, it still feels like a waste if it is still a working item.

Edited by i430VX