The MSFN café - A Penny for Your Thoughts

XPerceniol

If things got that bad and the American mainland got invaded, I'd probably have no choice but to fight, like what Ukranians are doing right now. But that's the thing about nuclear war, it wouldn't so much determine who wins as so much who survives.

Of course, if I were to move out of the way of probable nuclear targets/fallout zones and nuclear war happens, then I would most likely be alive and able to defend whatever's left.

It would take an extraordinary set of circumstances, I think, for a nuclear power to launch a conventional invasion of the other that wouldn't be met with nuclear retaliation. I'm not saying this just in terms of NATO vs. Russia, but in general. Sam Gardner talked about this back in 2002 when India and Pakistan seemed likely to come to blows with each other. War colleges in America simulated how such a confrontation would play out for decades. Ever since the U.S. suspected Pakistan had nukes, these simulations typically ended up in a nuclear exchange.

And I think a nuclear power wanting to attack America would be more likely to just nuke us outright, rather than attempt conventional warfare first.

3 hours ago, TrevMUN said:

And I think a nuclear power wanting to attack America would be more likely to just nuke us outright, rather than attempt conventional warfare first.

Maybe yes , maybe no. Why ? They could think the dems are too weak to retaliate with nukes. Did you notice the perfect timing ? The reds activated themselves pretty fast during Biden in the Office . Now do a research and you will see who met with the soviets in 1979 , days (or a day?) before the soviet invasion in Afghanistan , that's right , Biden ! Coincidence ? I'm not saying he gave them some form of green light . But with his recent "minor incursion" ... lol . 

Anyways , I just think they feel he's weak. Germany sunk in their stupid guilt over the war , China is their "friend" , France wants to live in peace and make money . Who will fight them ? Italy ? Holland ? Denmark ?

6 hours ago, TrevMUN said:

Of course, if I were to move out of the way of probable nuclear targets/fallout zones and nuclear war happens, then I would most likely be alive and able to defend whatever's left.

If you're interested , I can share basic survival skills and tactics which I had been taught in the French Army (one of the most powerful armies in the world). We were trained how to survive in absolutely nightmarish conditions and still hit the enemy. I understand MSFN is not the right place though . Just thought it's tough times and the western media like twitter could be the victims of russian cyberterrorists , so all means of communications are very important and our dear moderators will allow to do it. I think the White House already warned about that. Also, if I suddenly disappear , means my papers got accepted and I'm on the road. I still hope I return and buy the black Titan ... if not , you're an interesting penpal , I wish you all the best and to survive without damages ! 

AMERICAN NEWS Feb 26, 2022 2:27 PM EST

Majority of Americans believe Putin wouldn't have invaded Ukraine if Trump were president: 

https://thepostmillennial.com/americans-putin-wouldnt-have-invaded-ukraine-trump-president-poll

Constant update about the current state of things from Rob Lee , PhD student (warstudies), focused on Russians and their war tech.

Videos and analysis about russian/belarussian war crimes and atrocities like cluster bombing of peaceful cities , thermobaric weapons usage results,

russian war tech movements , etc. Also, he wrote he removes videos with bodies and POWs. So OK to watch under 18.

https://twitter.com/RALee85

On 2/25/2022 at 6:29 PM, UCyborg said:

Then a little later I saw on TV that Putin went totally nuts

The US intelligence confirms what I've been saying , a nice compliment actually , thank you , the US intelligence.

"Four American officials said there’s no intelligence saying that he is mentally unstable..." 

Told ya. Just plain evil. 

"The US has solid intelligence that Putin is frustrated and expressing unusual bursts of anger..."

It's anger . Anger is not "totally nuts". 

https://nbcnews.com/investigations/frustrated-putin-may-order-escalation-violence-ukraine-us-officials-sa-rcna18026

There is way too much propaganda and lies about this conflict to know what is real and what isn't. Even the so-called truths, the tactics used by Russia make no sense. I have severe doubts that Putin and/or all of the Russian military are incompetant so there must be some reason things are working out this way that we may never know.

On 3/1/2022 at 2:24 PM, Tripredacus said:

There is way too much propaganda and lies about this conflict to know what is real and what isn't. Even the so-called truths, the tactics used by Russia make no sense. I have severe doubts that Putin and/or all of the Russian military are incompetant so there must be some reason things are working out this way that we may never know.

Yes, agree , something's really fishy about all of this. Mark my words , Ukraine is not the ultimate goal. The ultimate goal is to strike the Western countries . I do respect the will of Ukrainians to fight for freedom , I'm terribly sorry for their children and cities ! Yet I still don't trust them. Did you notice how desperately they want to join the EU ? Shall we be accepting yet another KGB nest ? I mean , look at Prague , it's a well known KGB nest ! Now look at SBU (Ukrainian analogue of FSB) . It was created from the ashes of the soviet KGB . Also , notice they are quite kind to the captured russians. I'd say strangely kind. 

Now look, Russia already got Belarus under full control as a puppet state . What we are seeing now is an attempt to re-create the USSR and strike the West this all of it's power ! Russia alone would be too weak to do that without the nukes . 

They play their card , for sure ! I wouldn't be surprised if they had some sort of secret talks to push this ex(?) communist country to us as a "poor child of freedom" so the KGB spies would obtain no visa pass to freely roam the West .

Now we could guess , is it only Russia behind this or China also ? And  a couple of examples from recent history . Ukrainians and all soviet citizens in their military got zero problems invading Afghanistan in 1979 and bomb the hell out them , like they did in Finland in 1939 , etc. They still speak their bloody (russian) language ! Why would they ?!?! It's like more than 32 years since no one forces them to learn it at schools ! Yet I still hear all young Ukrainans speak it freely in the videos . Why ?

EXCLAIMER:

This is not an anti-Ukrainian statement . I demand the war stops immediately and the russians pay for all of the damages done . I respect Ukraine's independence , of course . Yet I don't want to see that country in the EU and NATO . I shall vote against it , like I did in the past. I , as a Dutch tax-payer, can only send them help . That's it. 

IMPORTANT:

All of the weapons we send there can and will be just easy trophies for the reds and used against us later ! Don't forget they got zero tech of their own . So they will surely steal our western tech , like they always do.

Edited by Dixel
Misspelled Ukraine as Ucraine

Just to start off, I've been spending more time trying to figure out if there's commercially available and viable solutions for shielding electronics against EMP. One of the big problems I've had researching this stuff in the past is that it's hard to find out if any of it's been tested to demonstrate effective shielding, at least for commercial products. For example, the guy in this video claims to have tested some anti-static bags which provide EMP shielding, but he doesn't include footage of him testing those specific bags even though he sells them on his website. It would really suck to have put money down on a product claimed to protect against EMP only to find out too late you'd been had by someone making a quick buck off of you.

And do-it-yourself solutions are neither convenient or durable. For example, I've heard you can turn a box or container into an effective faraday cage by wrapping it in three layers each of alternating aluminum foil and something plastic, but there can not be any holes or tears in the foil, and that means if you ever need to get at what's inside the cage you'd have to remake it every time.

The U.S. Department of Defense does have a standard for high-altitude electromagnetic protection, MIL STD 188-125, which I found out about from a document by the National Cybersecurity and Communications Integration Center. (Check out some of the graphs there, like on page 67 onward, showing what a single 100-kiloton nuke would do to electronics across North America. Or that diagram on Appendix D-2 toward the end, highlighting observed EMP effects during the USSR's K-3 HEMP test with a 300 kiloton nuke.)

I may have found something that fits the bill. There's a company called Mission Darkness that sells products that they tout are used by military, law enforcement, and forensic investigation for blocking radio frequencies, or for people concerned about their privacy (like someone nabbing credit card info via RFID) and it turns out that they had a third party compliance laboratory, Keystone Compliance, test some of their products to see if they meet or exceed MIL STD 188-125. They have a page on their site dedicated to this and they also offer Keystone's full report from their EMP test, even listing all the equipment used for each test and the white paper.

So I might be looking into getting this to try and protect a few of my devices in case the worst happens and I somehow survive. Granted, if an EMP attack did happen, it would completely wreck our electrical infrastructure as well as any unprotected electronics or batteries. I wouldn't expect to be able to use my electronics, even if they were shielded, unless I also had access to a completely shielded electrical infrastructure. Which I highly, highly doubt. But, at least having shielding for some of my electronics would keep them from being damaged or destroyed and give me hope that at least some of my personal data might survive and be usable if and when we could rebuild our electrical infrastructure.

If you've got electronics and/or data you want to ensure might survive electromagnetic funtimes, the products listed there might be a good option. Heck, last year I bought this self-powered light kit from Deciwatt in part due to the craziness in 2020 (rolling blackouts, societal upheaval, etc.) ... I could put it in one of these faraday bags so that if s*** hits the fan, I would still have a means to have light and charge USB-based devices. Assuming I protected them too, of course.

On 3/1/2022 at 6:24 AM, Tripredacus said:

I'll say this much, it has been an utter mess trying to keep up with unfolding events as there is a lot of spin being put out there. For one thing, you naturally have the belligerents involved putting out their own spin on events. But you also have the whole charlie foxtrot that is social media, people wanting likes and attention so badly they'll gladly do things like post footage from other past events, or even video game footage (like from ARMA 3) and claim it's from what's happening in Ukraine right now. And even journalists and politicians have gotten in on that game, or been duped by it. And then you have activists for one cause or another doing the same.

22 hours ago, Dixel said:

This is not an anti-Ukrainian statement . I demand the war stops immediately and the russians pay for all of the damages done . I respect Ukraine's independence , of course . Yet I don't want to see that country in the EU and NATO . I shall vote against it , like I did in the past. I , as a Dutch tax-payer, can only send them help . That's it. 

While I doubt that Ukraine's a sleeper cell for the FSB, I do think Ukraine's membership into EU or NATO would just provoke Russia further. In fact, apparently back in 2015 a political scientist named John J. Mearsheimer had warned that this would happen.

And Belarus is abandoning non-nuclear status, allowing Russia to set up nukes there. And Russia's foreign minister said that if World War III happens it will be nuclear, and also called for the United States to recall all American nukes based in Europe.

I hope things deescalate, what with the scheduled ceasefire talks soon, but ...

32 minutes ago, TrevMUN said:

I hope things deescalate, what with the scheduled ceasefire talks soon, but ...

I don't think they will, not "soon".  National average gas price per gallon here in the States is currently $3.66 with inflation concerns already front-burner for many economists.

I think too many countries are concerned with oil prices skyrocketing if they intervene.

I've personally always been an "advocate" for $5 per gallon gas prices - to curb wasteful consumerism, far too many people drive to six different grocery stores in a three-day period instead of actively maintaining a grocery list and manageing their pantry for one grocery store run every 12 to 14 days instead of twenty four trips in 12 to 14 days.

I do not think $5 per gallon gas would "hurt" our economy, not if people stopped making 3 to 4 times the number of grocery store trips then they really need to be making.

My last 19-gallon fill-up lasted me three months!  My neighbor fills up her Toyota Prius every four days!  And she has the nerve to look down her nose at me for driving an SUV!

Some people really don't know how to see the "bigger picture".

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

19 hours ago, TrevMUN said:

1 - While I doubt that Ukraine's a sleeper cell for the FSB,

2 - I do think Ukraine's membership into EU or NATO would just provoke Russia further. 

3 - And Belarus is abandoning non-nuclear status, allowing Russia to set up nukes there. And Russia's foreign minister said that if World War III happens it will be nuclear, and also called for the United States to recall all American nukes based in Europe.

1 - Any information to back this up ?

2 - This pacify tactics had failed in the past and will fail now. Who's Russia to dictate us or any other country what to do ? It needs to know it's place (gas-station-country).

3 - Scaremongering . Let's begin with removing of the US citizenship for his daughter . Just search for Lavrov's daughter and you will see Lavrov’s daughter does not even speak Russian.

BTW , Lavrov is not even his real name . He chose this surname due to it's "glorious" sounding (means laurels in English) and to be closer to the russian folks in general by wearing a russian surname. His real surname was Chechen (?) or Middle-eastern, smth like that , can gurgle yourself. So this clown does not scare me and shouldn't scare you , please calm down . This "laurel guy" represents the whole country . I mean , the whole country is a total joke-fake . They are just an empty space without us . Their war tech are copies of the German WW2 ones and made from Chinese parts. Look at their oligarchs and their children .

Why they don't live and study in Moscow or Ryzan ? If they "love" Russia so much , let them live there and seal the borders ! I'd vote for a requirement for every russian who wants to live in the West , every RU citizen must not love Russia to get a visa and cut all ties with it completely. Otherwise it's just an enemy among us and most propably a sleeper (or active) KGB agent .

The problem is our greedy businessmen that took their money . But that is starting to change , you'll see. So please calm down , our nerve cells are priceless and be well.

As for your self-made cages , just dig a deep shelter in your garden and place your items in a wooden box with several rounds of copper foil around it and ground with a piece of a big wire (1-2mm thickness) connected to a big metallic object (a piece of railway track , old metallic bath tub would do fine) which you would also have to hide under a thick layer of soil. This will prevent electrostatic discharges that came off of the blast. I see they forgot to mention it !

Your Titan (black ? Sorry , I forgot) will survive. Would be good to remove the thermal pads and the paste and store the cooler apart (!) from the main board. The main board should be wrapped in aluminum foil , but don't scratch the chip !!! Place something soft on it. 

Regards.

Edited by Dixel
wrote Rssuia instead of Russai