Share your Microsoft Windows 8.1 experience

noobie91

23 hours ago, Win10-Hater said:

Wanted to addon: The graphics driver successfully installed but there is an issue that prevents the changing of screen resolutions, so on my Macbook Air clone the display can only show content on it in 1366*768 resolution {max. supported resolution}, so this is not a really big issue. 

well that prevents me from installing windows 8.1 on it. She has 1920x1080 panel. so unfortunately she's stuck with crapdows 10

11 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

well that prevents me from installing windows 8.1 on it. She has 1920x1080 panel. so unfortunately she's stuck with crapdows 10

No, I meant that on my laptop display, only 1366*768 resolution can be displayed (no 800 by 600, 1024 by 768 etc.), but that's the maximum supported resolution on my laptop. This could also happen with you and only 1080p resolution could be accessed by Windows 8.1, being the maximum supported resolution, so that's not a very noticable issue. You can proceed with trying to install Windows 8.1. Green signal given by me 🚦

Edited by Win10-Hater
Spelling mistake lol

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I finally set up a Windows Vista - 8.0 dualboot on my main laptop (Dell e5420) yesterday, after planning for one month. Windows Vista will continue to be my main OS with Win8 for things like Skype, Teams, etc.etc. that don't work properly on Vista now. I originally planned on dual-booting Vista and 8.1 but seeing as Sandy Bridge CPU's are not officially supported on 8.1 and because 8.0 has some teeny tiny performance improvements and some other goodies over 8.1 (e.g, no telemetry updates, no CPU blocks, being easier to tweak visually than 8.1), I chose 8.0. With the UI tweaks necessary to make it look almost like Win7 (my Win8 tweaked look looks better than the original Win7 look IMO) and some other settings, it is superfast!! To see my tweaked Win8 desktop, check out what I posted a while ago in the Windows Desktop Screnshots sub-forum.

Edited by Win10-Hater

1 hour ago, Win10-Hater said:

Update: I finally set up a Windows Vista - 8.0 dualboot on my main laptop (Dell e5420) yesterday, after planning for one month. Windows Vista will continue to be my main OS with Win8 for things like Skype, Teams, etc.etc. that don't work properly on Vista now. I originally planned on dual-booting Vista and 8.1 but seeing as Sandy Bridge CPU's are not officially supported on 8.1 and because 8.0 has some teeny tiny performance improvements and some other goodies over 8.1 (e.g, no telemetry updates, no CPU blocks, being easier to tweak visually than 8.1), I chose 8.0. With the UI tweaks necessary to make it look almost like Win7 (my Win8 tweaked look looks better than the original Win7 look IMO) and some other settings, it is superfast!! To see my tweaked Win8 desktop, check out what I posted a while ago in the Windows Desktop Screnshots sub-forum.

People say there's a lot of telemetry but most of it's just regular Windows Update. Also, I'd be very surprised if 8.0 didn't have at least some of 8.1's telemetry. You can also quite easily bypass the stupid CPU block by installing wufuc onto Windows 8.1. And easier to tweak visually, that highly depends. I was personally able to make 8.1 look like both 7 and Vista.

• 2 weeks later...

It so happened that I bought a prebuilt PC in February of 2014 that came with Windows 8.1. That PC is named MSI Prestige MS-7903 - it is a desktop with a micro-ATX motherboard (MSI A88X Gaming), it runs an AMD A10-7890K APU, 32GB of Hyper-X 2133 MHz Non-ECC DDR3 Memory. It uses an AMD Radeon R7 120G SATA SSD for the system and a WD VelociRaptor 10K 250GB HDD and a basic Thermaltake 430W (or whatever) PSU. Everything is packed into a Silverstone Milo ML03B case. In June of 2020 I made an upgrade - I bought an AMD Radeon RX 550 Low Profile to enable dual graphics. 

I needed a new PC at that time 'cuz my old one had BSOD troubles and I had no time to diagnose it. It were my school exam time coming, so I just bought a new PC. I have done some sound/thermal isolation on the case, so it is not as loud. There were some time that I wanted to install Vista x64 to this PC, but I decided not to do it since Vista lacks FastBoot and TPM on my MOBO doesn't work correctly. (Still I don't know it is TPM v1.2 or TPM R2 since UEFI reports v2 while Windows says 1.2 version).

I also have installed a few patches - OldNewExplorer, StartIsBack and AeroGlass 8, I hate the lack of transparency in Windows 8.1. Now, I almost never use this computer, about two or three times a year - I have resurrected my Vista machine and bought a gaming computer in 2017. It just sits on my balcony, I use it to watch YouTube and browse social media. I can't say that Windows 8.1 is my favorite OS, one of them, but not the most. Had no trouble using or administrating it. I also like Windows 8.1 Metro style, 'cuz it is better in my opinion than Metro in Windows 10 (it is too rounded). So, if you are looking for an OS with modern features like FastBoot, SecureBoot, nice interface with an ability to tweak it, and not outdated NT-kernel like Vista, something like Windows 7, but still supported - Windows 8.1 is your choice. :D 

P. S. sorry for my English, I am Russian, as you can see on my system screenshot...

Windows 8.1.PNG

Edited by MrMADRYAN
Forgot to write about a second GPU.

• 2 months later...

My experience with Windows 8.1 is great. Well, my computer is not really good but enough for Windows 8. Never updated since 2018, most of the services are disabled. No Windows Defender, no other antivirus software. Ram usage 400mb one system is booted up. And it works really fast :D

Im planning to get better computer to run Windows 8. Not gonna switch to Windows 10

• 2 months later...