Jump to content
MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. ×

Please share your Windows Vista updates experience.


Recommended Posts

 Hello ,  I really want you to share your Microsoft Windows Vista updates' experience ! I've never installed any updates on my Vista , and I'm still alive and well , no "evil viruses" during all these years (since approx. 2008) , when I first started to use Vista . Yes , I have Framework 4.0 installed , but that's pretty much it . Please stay on topic and try to include your hardware config , also KB number and you service pack , which was installed at the time of the mentioned update , this is a must .  The description may be short , for example : "My PC started to freeze after the installation of KB x.x.x.x.", "My boot time increased by xx milliseconds , after KB x.x.x.x. The initial time was xxxx ", thank you very much.

The idea is to create a database of the most successful / needed updates for each service pack !

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is definitely needed ! I myself do not use much of updates , almost none , though I have never encountered any troubles with DX11 Windows6.0-KB971512-x64-directX ,  Windows6.0-KB2117917  (didn't notice any improvements at all) , KB4467700 , suggested by @win32 , it was needed for testing the kernel , somewhat OK , felt like sound became better , but at the same time boot time went from 9-11 seconds (with SP2) to 12-15 on Xeon X5450  , 16GB RAM DDR3 , Nvidia GTX780 , Chipset Intel q45 . Net framework 4.5.1 is the best in my opinion . I had huge problems with 3.5.1 , 4.6.0 , 4.6.1 , 4.6.2  and everything after . For example , Power DVD and other products from Cyberlink simply quit after several seconds if any of those installed. Worked only with 4.0 or 4.5.1/2 . Well , now it doesn't matter 'cause I after testing  I decided not to use PowerDVD or anything from Cyberlink at all , because they simply can't bypass DTS HD MA and TrueHD to my receiver, while free programmes can.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

I would like to invite @Win10-Hater to join our discussion . I think I read somewhere that he has all updates installed on Vista SP2. Please tell us what makes them good/bad , did you feel more secure , or maybe the PC became faster ?

Not all updates. Only updates till Jan 2020.

There was no impact on pc speed after installing the updates but I had also installed the useless meltdown and spectre patches, which caused issues with extended kernel. Now I have uninstalled them and another conflicting update and extended kernel works. Also, PC boot time went up from 15 to 20 seconds after installing those meltdown and spectre patches but again reduced after uninstalling.

Now I am thinking of using local redirection to use extended kernel as I might update further (Server 2008 esu updates).

Edited by Win10-Hater
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Win10-Hater said:

I have also installed all .net versions from 3.5 to 4.7.2 . 

Why? I use ShareX, an app that explicitly depends on .net framework 4.7.2.

Why all , if only 4.7.2 was needed ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2020 at 7:07 PM, Win10-Hater said:

They all are prerequisites, afaik

I totally understand you have your own way of things , so I'm just writing for the others to spare their time and support the previous poster . Of course , deep in my heart , I hope you will listen too .  The 4.X.X range , for example 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 are in-place upgrade of 4.0, they overwrite files in the 4.0 folder during the installation , so there is no need to install them all. As you may (or may not) guess , this was not invented/implemented by me.

And here's the official Microsoft's statement.

Scroll to "in-place update". So one can easily install it over 4.0 and be done with it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4054531/microsoft-net-framework-4-7-2-web-installer-for-windows

P.S.

By the way , congratulations on your first day won , you're here for over half of a year (only) , so this is a remarkable achievement ! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dixel said:

I totally understand you have your own way of things , so I'm just writing for the others to spare their time and support the previous poster . Of course , deep in my heart , I hope you will listen too .  The 4.X.X range , for example 4.5.1 and 4.5.2 are in-place upgrade of 4.0, they overwrite files in the 4.0 folder during the installation , so there is no need to install them all. As you may (or may not) guess , this was not invented/implemented by me.

And here's the official Microsoft's statement.

Scroll to "in-place update". So one can easily install it over 4.0 and be done with it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4054531/microsoft-net-framework-4-7-2-web-installer-for-windows

P.S.

By the way , congratulations on your first day won , you're here for over half of a year (only) , so this is a remarkable achievement ! 

Whoops, I never knew that. 
Also BTW, @WinFX's bypass method to install 4.7.2 requires 4.6.1 as a prerequisite. That's why I installed it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2020 at 7:24 AM, Win10-Hater said:

Not all updates. Only updates till Jan 2020.

There was no impact on pc speed after installing the updates but I had also installed the useless meltdown and spectre patches, which caused issues with extended kernel. Now I have uninstalled them and another conflicting update and extended kernel works. Also, PC boot time went up from 15 to 20 seconds after installing those meltdown and spectre patches but again reduced after uninstalling.

I want to clarify, this is the case on my main laptop computer with an SSD. On my Pentium D desktop (which I'm planning to replace with my own Sandy/Ivy Bridge custom desktop in another 2 or 3 months) with a failing 160GB Seagate HDD and 3 GB of DDR2 RAM, clean Vista install boots and logs on it about 1.5 minute, whereas updates make it slower and increase boot time to 2 minutes. Also @Dixel, I notice that you have a WD HDD and Vista is fast and that you said that Vista prefers WD and HGST over Seagate. I can clearly see that......

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/19/2020 at 7:37 AM, Win10-Hater said:

KB4530695, it was a Server 2008 update

It's not necessarily bad, but it caused issues on my Vista as I had installed only Security+Quality rollups from Aug.2018 to Jan, 2020 and this was not a rollup, so it conflicted.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2020 at 7:07 PM, Win10-Hater said:

They all are prerequisites, afaik

Also , you can just skip 4.0 and install whatever version you need - 4.6.1 or 4.5.0 , for example , and the programmes that demand 4.0 will find the files they want.

About Seagate , yes , that's right . No Seagate for Vista. And , I think , SSD is not needed to . Just a fast HDD . 10000RPM HDDs work fantastic with Vista. Some newer ones , like WD10EZEX are fine too. Though , I don't trust them as much as I trust Raptors.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Also , you can just skip 4.0 and install whatever version you need - 4.6.1 or 4.5.0 , for example , and the programmes that demand 4.0 will find the files they want.

About Seagate , yes , that's right . No Seagate for Vista. And , I think , SSD is not needed to . Just a fast HDD . 10000RPM HDDs work fantastic with Vista. Some newer ones , like WD10EZEX are fine too. Though , I don't trust them as much as I trust Raptors.

Yes, I understand, but 10k RPM HDD's are expensive here in our Indian local market, about 250-300 USD. Don't know about Ebay.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...