Please share your Windows Vista updates experience.

D.Draker

3 hours ago, Win10-Hater said:

Yes, I understand, but 10k RPM HDD's are expensive here in our Indian local market, about 250-300 USD. Don't know about Ebay.

don't trust HDDs from ebay , esp. from China. Even if the seller is honest  , they can get easily damaged during transportation . You're better off with WD10EZEX then.

Vista boot time from this EZEX with Xeon X5450 , DDR3 RAM is about 6-7 secs. to it's fully loaded state. And 5 seconds with Raptor, so I guess you will survive :-)  . 

Though I don't know the boot time if a ton of updates is installed.

Just now, Dixel said:

don't trust HDDs from ebay , esp. from China. Even if the seller is honest  , they can get easily damaged during transportation . You're better off with WD10EZEX then.

Vista boot time from this EZEX with Xeon X5450 , DDR3 RAM is about 6-7 secs. to it's fully loaded state. And 5 seconds with Raptor, so I guess you will survive :-)  . 

Though I don't know the boot time if a ton of updates is installed.

Yes, so taking that into consideration, I will use an SSD as OS drive and an HDD as data drive on my custom desktop. I might also dualboot a Vista install with updates and one without (the clean install on the HDD and updated install on SSD), purely for testing.

I've installed everything up to the April 2017 (last official Vista update) on my Vista machines and had no slowdown after a disk defrag (HDD machines only), SSD machines still boot incredibly, I trim manually. KB4056564-v2 is the only post April 2017 update that I installed, because it ads TLS1.1/1.2 support (and also the registry update required for that).

Josh

Edited by Octal450

8 hours ago, Octal450 said:

I've installed everything up to the April 2017 (last official Vista update) on my Vista machines and had no slowdown after a disk defrag (HDD machines only), SSD machines still boot incredibly, I trim manually. KB4056564-v2 is the only post April 2017 update that I installed, because it ads TLS1.1/1.2 support (and also the registry update required for that).

Josh

Thanks , Josh , will keep that in my list. Care to share the hardware config ? thanks

On 12/25/2020 at 2:48 PM, Octal450 said:

Josh

So no improvements also ? Apart from the obvious TLS 1.2. But then again , Internet Explorer is useless anyway . And other modern browsers that can be used with exkernel already have 1.2 and 1.3. 

12 hours ago, Dixel said:

So no improvements also ? Apart from the obvious TLS 1.2. But then again , Internet Explorer is useless anyway . And other modern browsers that can be used with exkernel already have 1.2 and 1.3. 

True, IE9 hasn’t been a good browser for many years and TLS 1.2 does not really change that. But some programs exist that use Internet Explorer’s engine to connect, so some Vista users might need TLS 1.2 enabled globally. There have at least been no issues reported with that update. Of course IE9 requires SP2 and certain Platform Update components (included in standalone installer), so those who prefer Vista RTM or SP1 obviously won’t be trying that update.

I have never run Vista RTM or even SP1 since SP2 was released, nor run Vista without the “official” security updates. However, 2021 will arrive in a few days, and it is certainly absurd to think that having Vista “fully updated” to April 2017 ( or even January 2020) provides any real security advantages. For new Vista installations, updates are probably more trouble than they are worth now.