Windows 7- executables are locked on a clean install , cannot delete for some time.

D.Draker

Hello all , first off , I'm a vivid Vista user . But sometimes I use Windows 7 for trying out some programmes .

Right now I have a fresh install of Win 7 SP1 on my spare machine with Core Quad , it is not activated and absolutely clean from everything , except Audio/Video drivers . Something weird's going on , I can't delete executables . Process explorer says that they are locked by the system itself . The only way to delete an executable - close it's folder , wait for some time and delete this closed folder , without opening it again , otherwise it locks again. Tried switching Off defender , keeping only basic services , nothing helps . All help is really appreciated , thank you.

5 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Hello all , first off , I'm a vivid Vista user . But sometimes I use Windows 7 for trying out some programmes .

Right now I have a fresh install of Win 7 SP1 on my spare machine with Core Quad , it is not activated and absolutely clean from everything , except Audio/Video drivers . Something weird's going on , I can't delete executables . Process explorer says that they are locked by the system itself . The only way to delete an executable - close it's folder , wait for some time and delete this closed folder , without opening it again , otherwise it locks again. Tried switching Off defender , keeping only basic services , nothing helps . All help is really appreciated , thank you.

I had this exact issue in 2011, but service pack 1 fixed it. Do you have sp1 installed? 

Sorry I've misread the begining. 

Edited by Jaguarek62

3 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

I had this exact issue in 2011, but service pack 1 fixed it. Do you have sp1 installed? 

Sorry I've misread the begining. 

I even tried installing what they call "SP2" (un-official name for kb3125574) over SP1, tried latest v4 , all the same. I knew win 7 is awful , but not to this point . I'm really glad I didn't touch it all these years . Thanks

3 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

Why? it is basically Vista sp3. I dont like everything they did in w7, but w7 was not a bad os. everything that is not Windows 10 is good in my book

I really don't want to turn this into this "Vista vs. W7" nonsense , you use Windows 8.1 , fine , I respect your choice , please respect mine , okay ? If you want to help , let's discuss only this exact issue , thanks . 

8 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

For files outside of the protected paths, this is not a normal behaviour. I would check for malware, encryption software, or backup software.

Hello , I really appreciate your opinion , but as I wrote before - I have a clean install on a separate machine , I was just going to try out some programmes that evil developers blocked from running on Vista , it's the reason I had to install Win 7, only to try them out and see if they are worthy at all , I'm not gonna use Win 7 anyways , it's only for testing, and noticed this strange behaviour right away , when I was trying to delete Nvidia driver package (which came from official Nvidia's website) and Audio driver installer. I think I need to be more precise and describe all steps.

1 - Full HDD format (both HDDs in that PC) during the installation by the means of Windows.

2 - Installed  the ISO from USB flash drive. The USB drive created by the free Rufus tool.

3 - Copied Nvidia and Audio drivers from my another PC that doesn't show such behaviour.

4 - Installed Nvidia and Audio drivers then tried to delete them from the folder on the second HDD .

5 - Got this bug right away "file in use" , deleted them only with the above method.

6 - Copied process explorer from my another PC and it says what I wrote before .

7 - The machine is not connected to the internet .

8 - No such problems with Vista.

Do you think the ISO may be compromised ? It's a legit ISO and I think I'm pretty sure the hash was good . Well , I'll try another and get back with the details. The main important thing , I'm not the only one with this bug , the previos poster @Jaguarek62 had this exact same issue with Windows 7 RTM, did you see ?

Edited by D.Draker
added details

6 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

I couldn't remove things from my desktop and documents folder for example. It was an isolated case though. Maybe reinstall would help?

So much for the "good" OS )))))) . As we can see now , it's not an isolated case , 'cause I've tried another ISO just several minutes ago , and it's all the same ! 

Edited by D.Draker
a typo

19 hours ago, D.Draker said:

4 - Installed Nvidia and Audio drivers then tried to delete them from the folder on the second HDD .

5 - Got this bug right away "file in use" , deleted them only with the above method.

Did you do the recommended restart after installation but before trying to delete the files?

7 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Did you do the recommended restart after installation but before trying to delete the files?

Yes , I was just deleting the installer packages , not the actual drivers themselves . And I had tried another ISO with SP1 and without it , with the same results . I even created an empty file with the ".exe" extension , it can't be deleted , also . The same "file in use". It's like explorer automatically attaches itself to these files , but when I close the folder and wait , I can delete it/them. I had read about this exact same problem a long time ago , I think somewhere at Nvidia forums , but I wasn't going to use Win7 , so I just ignored it and deleted the bookmarked page. The issue was 100% the same. A guy was trying to delete an Nvidia installer package , but it was locked . 

You are using a Win7 x64 system then. The same thing happens with 16 bit modules in WinME. The same solution is required. Remember when you right click a module then it introduces the context menu programing. An alternative to right click delete is left click the module then press the delete key but this must be done after a fresh boot only otherwise that doesn't work either. There is some talk of it here too but I do not think it will solve the issue.  https://msfn.org/board/topic/178181-the-action-cant-be-completed/?do=findComment&comment=1161234 I have Win7 32 bit installed only and it does not have your issue when ownership is taken over from the system correctly.

5 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

You are using a Win7 x64 system then. The same thing happens with 16 bit modules in WinME. The same solution is required. Remember when you right click a module then it introduces the context menu programing. An alternative to right click delete is left click the module then press the delete key but this must be done after a fresh boot only otherwise that doesn't work either. There is some talk of it here too but I do not think it will solve the issue.  https://msfn.org/board/topic/178181-the-action-cant-be-completed/?do=findComment&comment=1161234 I have Win7 32 bit installed only and it does not have your issue when ownership is taken over from the system correctly.

Hello and thank you . Yes, you're absolutely right , this is 64-bit Win7. No , I don't usually do right clicking , I usually drag'n'drop files to the bin , sorta my habbit , so this is not the case . I'll say more , it is simply enough just to open a folder with one executable and it becomes locked. Thank you for the link , I've read it , safe mode is actually not needed for me , since executables will be unlocked after some time . And the guy from the link has programmes installed . Mine is a clean install . Only drivers (Audio/Video). This issue is with SP1 and without too. 

Vista x64 and x86 with the same drivers' version [any service pack] works just excellent on that computer.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that Win 7 is buggy by design , especially after reading your link.