Programmer Here

Programmer Nerd

Hello MSFN users. I decided to create an account here because when I'm searching for error messages and information about Windows I'm constantly running into this website.

I do software development and and I test my programs on a variety of versions of Windows to ensure it works good on Windows.

On 12/13/2020 at 11:22 PM, Programmer Nerd said:

Hello MSFN users. I decided to create an account here because when I'm searching for error messages and information about Windows I'm constantly running into this website.

I do software development and and I test my programs on a variety of versions of Windows to ensure it works good on Windows.

Please make sure your programs are supported on *ALL* versions of Windows NT!

Nothing irks me more than apathetic developers that make their software incompatible with any version of Windows not currently in stores.

On 12/13/2020 at 10:22 PM, Programmer Nerd said:

Warmest greetings from Europe ! Do you have experience with .lua coded games too ? Thanks

hpwamr,

Thank you for your warm welcome.

InterLinked,

Given what you mentioned about Windows NT you might be interested in what I'm doing. I am working on compiling open source software to run on older versions of Windows. For example I just got Rendera (a nice painting program) running on Windows NT 3.51. Also regarding why software doesn't support older versions of NT, sometimes its for silly reasons as in it's just one function, or even compiler used meaning that there is nothing wrong with the code, it's just that a new version of Visual Studio was used to compile it so it doesn't work on older versions of Windows. Other times it could be because the application really does need a lot of features only supported by older versions of Windows NT for example it uses a newer version of DirectX, in that case it would be very costly to get it running on older versions. With that said I do share your frustration and that's why I'm doing this.

Dixel,

I do have experience with Lua and embedding Lua in a C++ program however I've never programmed a game using Lua. You may want to look at https://love2d.org/ .

Edited by Programmer Nerd

• 3 months later...