98SE install prep for Dell Latitude D830

beansmuggler

Decided to try SESP21A first since it seemed the easiest, but I was never able to successfully boot back into Windows after it finished.

I tried the "two stage" method, but I'm stuck on stage 1. The system installed a Standard IDE/ESDI with a Code 10 error. I think this might be caused by a mistake on my part because, even though the PCI Bus was skipped, the system still seems to complain that an A: drive is present.

I'll try formatting again and doing a new install. If that doesn't work, I might try AHCICD from rloew since I realize that I never tried that one before. If these fail and nothing else arises, I guess I'll have to concede and move onto the ethernet controller.

EDIT: Tried a fresh install and it didn't work, so I tried AHCICD with AHCI. It initially didn't recognize the computer as being in AHCI mode at all, and then later found no AHCI optical disk when I tried specifying controllers, so I guess I'll hold off on pursuing that and accept the compatibility-mode fate.

Should one of the DOS long filename patches help ameliorate things at least? Also, is there anything I can try to keep My Computer from trying to read disc contents to generate thumbnail previews when I open My Computer?

Edited by beansmuggler

You're going a bit too fast for me.

1) If SESP21A gave problems, try another one, like 98 SE MDCU. Best is after reboot going in Safe mode first to fully finish the installation.

2) Did you combine a Stage One installation with the unofficial Intel inf-updates from @LoneCrusader ? And of course with driver updates like MDCU.

About DosLFN-drivers: I have no real experience, but you can find much on mdgx' site.

I tried using Safe Mode for SESP21A, but it still seems to freeze when I boot into normal mode, even after booting into Safe mode. Maybe that has to do with the cocktail of things I do during the 98SE setup process? I noticed it undoes the Safe mode fix so I have to manually re-fix it.

Working on getting everything required for MDCU together for now, will note that Windows Security is detecting "Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!ml" and "Program:Win32/Wacapew.C!ml" in the MGDx upload of W9xPP 5.01. I downloaded the pack since it has MDIE6CU and MDDACU, which the readme for MDCU says are separate and required for MDCU to work properly.

Got an email back from them and it's apparently a false positive, so I've copied the Power Pack to the computer. The SP1 IE version on it helps get around the issue where MDCU doesn't recognize that I've patched IE, but it still locks up after reboot.

Also, I've switched from VIDE-CDD to XGCDROM since MDGx listed it as specifically SATA-relevant.

Thinking I might shelf the CD thing again until I can get the other things working since it's oddly picky and the MSDOS drivers at least provide a working option. I've kept at the two-step option and tried several different configurations, setup flags, and patch series, but it looks like there's no way to make it cooperate across reboots for now. I tried looking at the manual for the Ultra ATA, but I don't think anything I read would help point out what is going wrong.

Since audio seems like it would be the next pickiest to deal with, I figure I'll go with Ethernet first. Something's running on the computer that keeps me from being able to check the BIOS at the moment, but the Internet and some of my other posts seem to say that I either have Broadcom 57XX Gigabit Integrated Controller, 59XX 10/100 Ethernet Controller, or "10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet network interface adaptor". Trying to use an INF I found online didn't seem to work out, so I'm guessing I need to be using some kind of software to help connect thru Ethernet. Would I use Odyssey here, or something different?

I've been able to force install the different variants provided by the drivers there so far, but none have worked yet. SIV says what I have is a BCM5755M, which has only provided XP/Vista drivers and discussions about mac/linux so far. On reboot, the loading page hangs while the orange light on the port stays a stable orange with no activity from the green light. After it gives up, it says:

Your network adapter Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller (0001) is not working properly. You may need to set it up again. For more information, see the Network Troubleshooter in Windows Help.

On occasion, an installation will fail and cause me to reset with the driver marked with a red X after reboot. If I re-enable the device, it claims to work normally, but it still won't connect to the internet.

Tried this and reinstalled the driver, which it seemed to automatically detect as 57xx Gigabit this time when pointed to the right INF, but it still gave me the warning after reboot. I don't think I've tried to automatically detect with the ethernet drivers listed on the D600 page until now, so I don't know if it would've done this before, but it's at least a good sign since I've usually had to point to these manually.

Definite thanks for the find, as it looks like this one was able to install smoothly! I'm still not connected for reasons unknown, but it's at least automatically assigning its own IP address.

On bootup, the steady orange light is now accompanied by a few staggered green blips. winipcfg shows nothing in Default Gateway for the ethernet driver even after setting one manually in the settings (it also keeps showing the settings for PPP adapter first rather than Broadcom, not sure if that helps). As soon as I open Internet Explorer, I'm told that I should try working offline instead, and using command prompt to ping 8.8.8.8 results in "Destination host unreachable." Trying to ping google.com instead gets "Unknown host google.com." after a long pause.

Also, I can't tell if it's freezing or just taking a long time, but 98 now gets stuck on the "Windows is shutting down" screen during shutdown now. Would I need to apply a shutdown patch, or should this go away once the computer can connect?

Edited by beansmuggler

Are you sure your D830 has no problems? I have been  reading some posts about connectivity problems with D830. Of course not involving Windows 98SE, you're the only one who is trying. Was your D830 connecting 'under' another OS?

I have no ideas, otherwise than trying other cables (was an issues with my wife's HP laptop). Or disabling modem/wireless, so playing with BIOS-settings. I have no access to a D830 as you know.

Addressing shutdown problems only after your ethernet is actually connecting.