DualBoot help

Jaguarek62

Hello, we have computer in work that runs Windows 8.1 nowadays. Some proprietary software that our company uses (from 1997 btw :D ) only works on Windows 7. We need dualboot that WILL DEFINITELY NOT destroy Windows 8.1 in any way or shape. On this computer we have a lot of important things (they are backed up, but still). They want the computer to be able to boot Windows 8.1 as default option, but when needed to restart into Windows 7. The problem is, that newer os is already installed and I think, that Windows 7 boot manager will not recognize Windows 8.1 and vice versa. Any ideas?

The specs are:

Dell Optiplex 9010

Intel Core i7-3770

16gb DDR3

GT 1030

1Tb - Hdd in raid 1 with another hdd  Only one 1tb hdd. That was different machine 😅

boot ssd - 128 gb

Edited by Tripredacus
title

The Windows 7 boot manager won't hurt Windows 8.1 in any way, shape or form. In theory you could install anything down to Windows Vista alongside anything up to Windows 10 without causing any damage.

Regards, VZ

7 minutes ago, Volume Z said:

The Windows 7 boot manager won't hurt Windows 8.1 in any way, shape or form. In theory you could install anything down to Windows Vista alongside anything up to Windows 10 without causing any damage.

Regards, VZ

Well I forgot to say that Windows 8.1 is booting in UEFI. That is why I said that I don’t think it will work without any hassle.

That would be a disadvantage of UEFI compared to BIOS I'm outright denying. UEFI launches the one Windows Boot Manager, which might as well be a Windows 7 one including an 8.1 entry.

Regards, VZ

Edited by Volume Z

15 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

Any reason to not use a VM instead?

Well the're using serial port to interact with the device (kinda hard to explain cause I only know the name of it in czech). I was given the awful task to just "make this dualboot". 

On 12/10/2020 at 3:45 PM, Tripredacus said:

Serial port doesn't discount VM usage.

Is the SSD a SATA SSD, M.2 or NVME?

the ssd is sata. I was so desperate yesterday, that I took the computer home, made complete image of the ssd to my external drive and installed windows 7 to see what would happen. Os selection appeared on boot. I was happy only up until I tried to select Windows 8.1. (translating from czech now) "The required device cannot be accessed" or sometimes "Inaccessible boot device". My vm suggestion was denied so I guess I'm screwed now.

On 12/11/2020 at 6:56 PM, dencorso said:

use easyBCD to recreate the BCD. When moving Win 7+ around the disk and/or repartitioning, it's always necessary to rebuild the BCD for the OS which stops booting.

Thank you! I finally managed to dualboot them. 

Man you saved me.. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Could you also please lock the thread? since it may help someone too, but I don't need any more help.