Jump to content
MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. ×

Audio Drivers Needed


Recommended Posts

I've been searching for audio drivers for a computer I've been restoring.  It's an HP Media Center m7480n.  It has the Asus Motherboard P5LP-LE (Emery) which has the Realtek ALC 882 (integrated) chipset.  Does anyone know of a place I can download these from.  Keep in mind they must be for XP.  Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried doing a search using the device ID?
That's usually the best way of finding drivers in my experience, especially for older hardware and/or operating systems.
:)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Have you tried doing a search using the device ID?
That's usually the best way of finding drivers in my experience, especially for older hardware and/or operating systems.
:)

Problem is it's not even listed in device manager under the audio category.  According to the specs on this computer the sound chip is integrated which I take as to mean it's on the motherboard and not a sound card in a PCI slot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The onboard audio hardware may be disabled, especially if it's a used machine.
The previous owner may have had it disabled as they were using a plug-in sound card.
Check the motherboard manual for relevant jumper settings.
It would be very strange for it not to appear in Device Manager in some way if it was enabled and working.
:)

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have an unknown device in Device Manager and haven't installed all possible updates, you may need to install KB888111 or hdaudiobus.sys before the device will appear under audio. That component is included in the Realtek HD Audio Driver R2.70. These drivers are widely available on then web.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Dave-H said:

The onboard audio hardware may be disabled, especially if it's a used machine.
The previous owner may have had it disabled as they were using a plug-in sound card.
Check the motherboard manual for relevant jumper settings.
It would be very strange for it not to appear in Device Manager in some way if it was enabled and working.
:)

I did check the BIOS setup and audio was disabled so I enabled it but it made no difference.  One thing I did see in my searches is that some of these boards implement the on board audio chip as a PCI device.  Also found out that if it had been listed in Device Manager it should have had an instance that started out as HDAudio....etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, j7n said:

If you have an unknown device in Device Manager and haven't installed all possible updates, you may need to install KB888111 or hdaudiobus.sys before the device will appear under audio. That component is included in the Realtek HD Audio Driver R2.70. These drivers are widely available on then web.

Yes.  There are several devices I haven't yet loaded drivers for because they are not critical yet.  Was trying to get the minimal stuff going first which is video and audio.  I do have one unknown device but it's instance ID isn't HDAudio.  I suppose that it might still be that one but I won't know until I can find the driver for the audio chip.  Just out of curiosity, what if the sound chip was not working.  Would the system still go ahead and load up or would it crash with an error at startup?  Just covering all bases. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would check the hardware IDs of all the unknown devices.
If any of them contain VEN_10EC they are Realtek devices.
You've enabled the onboard audio in BIOS, but still check that there are no jumpers on the board to physically disable the hardware.
:)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I would check the hardware IDs of all the unknown devices.
If any of them contain VEN_10EC they are Realtek devices.
You've enabled the onboard audio in BIOS, but still check that there are no jumpers on the board to physically disable the hardware.
:)

Thanks.  I'll go ahead and do that.  There are about 5 devices with the exclamation point in the yellow triangle in Device Manager and I know one is the LAN card and one is the TV Tuner card.  I thought the others might be the card reader but now I think not because there are 4 extra removeable drives listed in My Computer and that's the number of slots the card reader has.  So I think the install handled them.  BTW, I'm learning some knew stuff here as my other system (daily driver) was an overlay (upgrade) over WinME and this one is a clean install.  I see now that the install handles those situations differently.  That was unexpected.  Also see that you have a triple boot system.  So do I.  The daily driver has Win98SE on one drive,WinME on another drive and WinXP on another drive.  One of the nice things about that is when XP won't let me do something in it, I just boot over to ME and operate on the XP drive from there.  Bet you do the same thing.  Plus there's the advantage of playing older games that don't run well or at all on the newer systems.  I'll let you know what happens about the VEN_10EC id if it's one of the instances listed in Device Manager under Problem Devices.

Edited by justacruzr2
additional content
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

To install drivers on unknown devices, if I'm quite certain of the brands, I'd just put a set of drivers and INFs in a directory, and let Windows perform a search for best in that location from Device Manager. It will only install matching drivers. The vendor of the bus controller is that of the motherboard, in my case Intel 8086. I found that on Server 2003 I had to extract and install this component (hdaudbus.inf) by hand, because there was no update package for that platform.

https://i.imgur.com/KG3sIgG.png

A dual-booting configuration with another OS is useful with XP. It is missing the safe mode options that Win9x had. I had that for some time for recovery and tweaking and backup of locked system files.

If the audio hardware was physically out of order, I guess it depends on the kind of malfuction it has. I've only had it happen once; the card was shown with an exclamation point. Just pull the card out or disable the on-board device to stop Windows from interacting with it if it comes to that. It is somewhat unlikely if the motherboard doesn't exhibit other problems.

HD_Audio_Bus.rar

Edited by j7n
Get rid of huge screenshot put in by Modern Crazy Forum
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, j7n said:

To install drivers on unknown devices, if I'm quite certain of the brands, I'd just put a set of drivers and INFs in a directory, and let Windows perform a search for best in that location from Device Manager. It will only install matching drivers. The vendor of the bus controller is that of the motherboard, in my case Intel 8086. I found that on Server 2003 I had to extract and install this component (hdaudbus.inf) by hand, because there was no update package for that platform.


https://i.imgur.com/KG3sIgG.png

A dual-booting configuration with another OS is useful with XP. It is missing the safe mode options that Win9x had. I had that for some time for recovery and tweaking and backup of locked system files.

If the audio hardware was physically out of order, I guess it depends on the kind of malfuction it has. I've only had it happen once; the card was shown with an exclamation point. Just pull the card out or disable the on-board device to stop Windows from interacting with it if it comes to that. It is somewhat unlikely if the motherboard doesn't exhibit other problems.

HD_Audio_Bus.rar 69.86 kB · 1 download

Thanks for the advice.  That's what I thought too.  That if there was a problem with the sound chip itself, it would probably be very noticeable at startup.  Either the BIOS or Windows wouldn't have liked that at all.  Here's something I saw for the first time in XP.  I inadvertently did something that Windows didn't like at all and it just snapped into reboot mode.  When Windows started up again I had the Active Desktop Recovery screen, with the big rectangular Restore My Active Desktop button,  just like 98 and ME.  Didn't even know that was still being used in XP.    One thing I tried but couldn't do was putting ME on another PATA drive in the computer I'm rebuilding for that exact same reason.  About 10 seconds into the ME install I got the message that it couldn't continue because that computer uses SATA drives except for the CD ROM drives.  So on that computer I have know way to tweak XP unless I installed something like Linux.  Learn something new all the time.

Edited by justacruzr2
additional content
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 1:37 PM, Dave-H said:

I would check the hardware IDs of all the unknown devices.
If any of them contain VEN_10EC they are Realtek devices.
You've enabled the onboard audio in BIOS, but still check that there are no jumpers on the board to physically disable the hardware.
:)

OK.  Here are the problem devices listed in Device Manager under Other Devices.  Under each catagory, first line is instance ID and second line is location information.

* Multimedia Video Controller: (believe this is TV Tuner card)

  VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_88010070&REV_01
  PCI bus 2, device 4, function 0

* PCI Device: (audio or LAN card?)

  VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS_2A2B103C&REV_01
  PCI bus 0, device 27, function 0

* PCI Simple Communications Controller: (believe this is the modem card)

  VEN_14F1&DEV_2F20&SUBSYS_200C14F1&REV_00
  PCI bus 2, device 5, function 0

* SM Bus Controller: (no idea but believe this has to do with the card  reader)

  VEN_8086&DEV_27DA&SUBSYS_2A2B103C&REV_01
  PCI bus 0, device 31, function 3

* Unknown Device: (audio or ?  ACPI suggests something else)

  ACPI\AWY0001*AWY0001
  no location information

Link to post
Share on other sites

VEN_8086 indicates an Intel device.
It doesn't look as if there are any Realtek devices there.
It is still possible that the on-board audio hardware is physically disabled, or faulty.
Try connecting some speakers to the audio output, and turn the volume up on their amplifier.
With your ear right up to one of the speakers, boot up the machine.
If the hardware is working, it would be very surprising not to hear at least one click or pop from the speakers, however faint, when the hardware starts.
If there is complete silence, I think you have to assume that the hardware might be dead, or physically disabled, by a jumper perhaps rather than just in the BIOS.
If you have the manual for the motherboard, it should detail the functions of any physical jumpers on the board.
:)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

VEN_8086 indicates an Intel device.
It doesn't look as if there are any Realtek devices there.
It is still possible that the on-board audio hardware is physically disabled, or faulty.
Try connecting some speakers to the audio output, and turn the volume up on their amplifier.
With your ear right up to one of the speakers, boot up the machine.
If the hardware is working, it would be very surprising not to hear at least one click or pop from the speakers, however faint, when the hardware starts.
If there is complete silence, I think you have to assume that the hardware might be dead, or physically disabled, by a jumper perhaps rather than just in the BIOS.
If you have the manual for the motherboard, it should detail the functions of any physical jumpers on the board.

OK.  Here's what I just got off of HP's support website:

Onboard audio or audio card

Integrated Intel High Definition (TM) audio (Azalia)

Realtek ALC 882 CODEC

Supports up to 8 audio channels

Dolby Pro Logic IIx compatible

So it is not a Realtek chip but an Intel chip?  That would be good news regarding this:

VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS_2A2B103C&REV_01
 PCI bus 0, device 27, function 0

 

As you say VEN_8086 indicates an Intel device.  However, I did peek into the cabinet and saw a chip with the ASUS name printed on it which I think Realtek is a division or TM of ASUS.  According to the above from the HP website, Realtek only provides the CODECS.  I guess that makes sense.  What do you think?

  Also, HP website says the only jumpers are for clearing the CMOS or the BIOS password.
 

Edited by justacruzr2
additional content
Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience with motherboards with Intel chipsets and Realtek onboard audio is that the the analogue audio hardware appears in Device Manager as a Realtek device.

Did you try the "speaker test"?
:dubbio:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...