Share your Microsoft Windows XP experience!!

Win10-Hater

Thanks, I corrected your post as the whole post was the link!
That isn't the phone I had, and I now remember that Nokia confused things horribly by calling two completely different phones by the same model number!
This is the one I have.
:)

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

MTP works on Windows XP if you have the required prerequisites installed and know some tricks. No device specific driver is required.

I have tried connect my friend nokia 6.1 and one Pixel phone and both did not work until modified google own drivers to work with it. What prequites is needed other than media player 11 and have you tried on newer android phones

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Thanks, I corrected your post as the whole post was the link!
That isn't the phone I had, and I now remember that Nokia confused things horribly by calling two completely different phones by the same model number!
This is the one I have.

Legendary flip phones. That is quite nice. Got 3g and others. Might be getting one of those some point

It's a very good phone, looks really stylish, and as I said before, very compact as well, you hardly know you've got it in your pocket!
I really like the principle of clamshell phones, as the screen and keyboard are intrinsically protected when they're folded up.
The camera's not great on it, but few were at the time it was current. It does have an SD card facility, which wasn't at all standard then.
There's a "slide" version too as well as the "fold" clamshell, but that's enough off-topic!

54 minutes ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

I have tried connect my friend nokia 6.1 and one Pixel phone and both did not work until modified google own drivers to work with it. What prequites is needed other than media player 11

Yeah, just WMP11, more specifically, the drivers that come with it.

I had to do this to get MTP working. I kinda forgot whether working drivers for ADB are actually needed as well if Android Debugging is enabled at the same time, but I use homebrew INF file for that (and Fastboot) so it's always picked up correctly via compatible ID, rather than device-specific IDs, which are more like software-that-runs-on-the-device-specific, which may not be constant, TWRP recovery that I have for instance uses different device IDs than the main OS.

Either way, under the hood, only official MS driver files are ever used, as can be seen in Device Manager on the device's Driver tab.

54 minutes ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

and have you tried on newer android phones

Well, the newest one I have is 6 years old Sony Xperia E3. :P Maybe I could borrow a newer Samsung Galaxy S8 from a family member to try on XP. It probably still runs Android 7 though.

Not sure why it wouldn't work either way. MTP is MTP. Or was the protocol changed at any point? :dubbio:

39 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

Yeah, just WMP11, more specifically, the drivers that come with it.

I had to do this to get MTP working. I kinda forgot whether working drivers for ADB are actually needed as well if Android Debugging is enabled at the same time, but I use homebrew INF file for that (and Fastboot) so it's always picked up correctly via compatible ID, rather than device-specific IDs, which are more like software-that-runs-on-the-device-specific, which may not be constant, TWRP recovery that I have for instance uses different device IDs than the main OS.

Either way, under the hood, only official MS driver files are ever used, as can be seen in Device Manager on the device's Driver tab.

Well, the newest one I have is 6 years old Sony Xperia E3. :P Maybe I could borrow a newer Samsung Galaxy S8 from a family member to try on XP. It probably still runs Android 7 though.

Not sure why it wouldn't work either way. MTP is MTP. Or was the protocol changed at any point? :dubbio:

Thanks need try that guide and see if works

• 2 weeks later...

The irony of my enthusiasm for Windows XP is that, originally, I didn't want to use a XP machine as a personal computer. I was still in high school and the family computer ran 98; I did a lot of DOS gaming back then and so I fretted over losing the ability to play games and use programs I liked by switching to XP. On the other hand, I personally had the roughest OS experience with 98, though that's likely because, being a family computer, I shared the 98 machine with people a lot more careless than me when it comes to computer security.

(I've hung onto the family's first IBM-PC, a Gateway P5-120 running Windows 95, so I can still enjoy DOS gaming and run DOS and 16-bit programs.)

However, I wound up getting a Gateway XP machine as a graduation present. I quickly grew to like XP for the simple fact that I rarely ever had any software-related BSoDs. In all my years of using XP (and then XP64) the vast majority of BSoDs and system issues I've encountered have been due to failing hardware and not an issue with the operating system. For the most part, the times XP did go off the rails, it's because of something I know I did. And for the most part, I've been able to fix those mistakes without resorting to a wipe-and-reinstall.

Similar to my concerns over losing the ability to run DOS programs, I was resistant to upgrading to Vista. In fact, I deliberately sought out and purchased an OEM installation disc for XP64 on Newegg back in 2008, when an aforementioned hardware failure necessitated overhauling my computer entirely. I figured going XP64 (and yeah, I was already aware of XP64's reputation for lack of software/driver support) would future-proof my machine once computing truly moved to the 64-bit era. (Alas, I didn't account for APIs ...) Also, having a 64-bit operating system that used less memory than Vista and future Windows OSes (XP64 needs at minimum 256 MB; Vista, 512 MB but 1 GB recommended) meant that I had more memory for multi-tasking and the sort of memory-intensive work that I do, namely multimedia production.

XP64's rep for lack of driver/software support hasn't really been an issue for me. There's only been two notable exceptions, both games: Civilization 4 and Phantasy Star Online 2; in the latter case, Sega seemed to *specifically* deny XP64 the ability to run any PSO2- related executable. But out of over a decade's use of XP64, those have been the only issues with programs during XP's support cycle. (Of course, programs made after support ended are another story.)

The good folks here at MSFN have really helped in keeping XP64 viable in these post-support days. I'm especially grateful for guys like @Sampei.Nihira who have called to attention vulnerabilities and security threats and how to protect against them; it was through him I found out about NoVirusThanks' OSArmor, which I now use on all of my machines, XP and not. In recent years, following hardware failure in the 2008 setup, my girl got an overhaul using some of the best hardware available to a SABERTOOTH X99-based system, thanks to @XP-x64-Lover's efforts in sourcing drivers. (She's now got maxed out with 128 GB of RAM, by the way, which are XP64's natural limits as well as that of the X99 chipset.)

And according to one of my friends ... my enthusiasm/stubbornness over using XP has a Steve Jobs-like "reality distortion field" that's been enticing others to do the same!

Edited by TrevMUN
Forgot to mention this bit.

• 1 month later...

Well my first XP experience was when i was pretty young and we had this hulking desktop and equally hulking monitor! but i used to play the heck out of it mainly flash games, whatever games i could pickup

Still using WinXP SP2 64-bit on two PC's - the best system in the world :)

PC1 ThinkPad X61 C2D 4GB RAM, docking station with LPT and COM ports. I mainly use for browsing the Internet. Page file disabled.

PC2 Sandy Bridge platform ASUS P8H61-M LE R2, Intel i3, AMD HD7450 + 2K LCD monitor (2560x1440) connected over DP-DP cable, M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI sound card. This PC is not connected to the Internet and I only use it for audio/video FullHD/720p production with Sony Vegas 9 64-bit at 2560x1440. My favorite games also work:

• CueClub2 at 2560x1440
  • Worms World Party Remastered 2015 at 2560x1440 - you can see the entire island, not just part of it, as in the old version
  • NFS3 modern patch at FullHD 1920x1080

• 1 month later...

My XP experience is best shared pictorially.

When covid shut down one of my customers for a couple of months, I went ahead and made a 3D model of my house "just to pass the time".

I work out of a home office and below is my living room.

Five of those widescreen monitors are ran by a quad-core i7-4770 @ 3.4GHz with 16GB RAM  --  XP x64 so all 16GB RAM is usable.

Two of the widescreens are TVs, I usually have a sitcom on one and news on the other  --  if not news on both.

The two laptops (one runs triple boot 7, 10, XP x86 but pretty much always booted into XP, the second runs Win 10) can optionally send to the larger of the two widescreen TVs.

The computer room has a quad-core core-two Q6700 @2.66GHz with 3GB RAM  --  XP x86 and "only" 3 monitors, two "square", one widescreen.

Working from home, basically every customer has their own VirtualBox VM.

Most of these VMs are XP x86, a couple of them are Win 10 LTSB.

With 16GB as my Host, I can (when needed) run four, five, even six of my guest VMs and not bog the Host down.

Not common, but "can" be done.

It is common to be running two VMs.

But here is my FAVORITE part of this setup  --  and it is XP x64 ONLY (this computer originally came with Win10, I've tested with 7, but running XP x64 for speed, efficiency, and this "flaw").

The combination of graphics cards and USB converters to get me to FIVE widescreen monitors has a "flaw" that ONLY occurs in XP x64.

Fully updated and most recent hardware drivers.

But here is the "flaw" (that I do not want fixed, I love this "flaw")  --  when the monitors turn off because of being idle (I do not use screensavers), ONE of the monitors will NOT turn off.

So I can let four monitors "sleep" while the fifth monitor runs email or voicemail for if a customer reaches out to contact me while the computer is "sleeping".

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ArcticFoxie

Damn, Arctic ... what you've got is exactly the kind of setup I hope to have! I have a growing collection of machines that I want to set up like that, or something like the U-shaped desk The 8-Bit Guy made for his studio. (My aforementioned daily driver, Palouser, is XP64; my main personal laptop, Etesia, is XP32. The Gateway2000 machine I mentioned previously is Marin, and the Windows 10 hand-me-down is Levanter. I also have an OpenBSD machine I've been toying with using Palouser's old 2009 hardware, Ostwind. But I have still more machines for future projects ...)

Having a computer room like yours also requires that I own a home somewhere ... right now I can only afford to rent rooms, can't even afford an apartment. I make do with a lot of folding/easily disassembled/collapsible furniture. Maybe some day I can realize this dream.