The Windows 8 to 7 Restoration Pack v1.2

AeroSeeker

Nicknamed the Windows 87 pack. Compiled by yours truly.

Here's a regular screenshot of Windows 7 Ultimate Edition.

Hr8JYDY.png

Now here's a screenshot of Windows 8.1 Pro with the Restoration Pack fully installed.

ErccrZh.png

As you can see, this unfortunately isn't a complete 100% 1:1 restoration, visually speaking, but it comes DAMN close. I'd say it's at least 95% true to the original 7. In any case, if you ever had any doubts or issues about transferring to 8.1 because of the horrid interface, this pack should lay your concerns to rest entirely.

This pack restores:
Windows 7 Taskbar and Start Menu (via Open Shell v4.4.160)
Windows 7 Start Menu skin for Open Shell (via WIN7LIKE COMBO RevC start menu)
Windows 7 Aero (via Aero Glass v1.4.6) (Paid product, but only $3)
Windows 7 Media Center
Windows 7 Explorer (via OldNewExplorer v1.1.9)
Windows 7 Games (via Windows 7 Games for Windows 8 and 10)
Windows 7 Gadgets (via 8GadgetPack v33.0)
Windows 7 Default Wallpapers incl. All International Versions
Windows 7 Theme Sounds
Windows 7 Default Themes incl. All International Versions
Windows 7 Aero Cursors
Windows 7 Default User Account Pictures
Windows Update Functionality (via wufuc v1.0.1.201)

DISCLAIMER: I did not make any of the programs contained in this pack. This pack is not sponsored in ANY way by any of the developers of the programs in the pack nor did I have any hand in developing them. I'm compiling and distributing this pack completely by myself using my own resources.

Download Link: https://intosanctuary.com/index.php?resources/windows-8-to-7-restoration-pack.9/

Edited by AeroSeeker

Awesome pack! Have used this on my secondary Windows 8.1 laptop without issues.

Just my 2 cents:

1) Replace the Classic Shell built-in Windows Aero start menu skin with another "Win7LIKE RevC" skin created by juniper7 at the Classic Shell forums.

Instructions to use the skin can be found inside the downloadable zip file 

2) Rename This PC to Computer and include OldNewExplorer in the pack and do modfications to make Explorer more like 7.

On 12/5/2020 at 7:27 AM, TECHGEEK said:

Awesome pack! Have used this on my secondary Windows 8.1 laptop without issues.

Just my 2 cents:

1) Replace the Classic Shell built-in Windows Aero start menu skin with another "Win7LIKE RevC" skin created by juniper7 at the Classic Shell forums.

Instructions to use the skin can be found inside the downloadable zip file 

2) Rename This PC to Computer and include OldNewExplorer in the pack and do modfications to make Explorer more like 7.

I've put in the WIN7LIKE skin, OldNewExplorer, and wufuc. Wondering if there's anything else to add before I release v1.1

On 12/10/2020 at 8:20 AM, AeroSeeker said:

I've put in the WIN7LIKE skin, OldNewExplorer, and wufuc. Wondering if there's anything else to add before I release v1.1

Ribbon should be disabled optionally on OldNewExplorer to make Explorer revert to the (g)old-style command bar interface.

v1.1 finished and uploaded!

Changes:
- Changed Open Shell start menu settings to use the WIN7LIKE skin and have it be more accurate to Windows 7.

Removals:
- N/A

Additions:
- Added v1.0.1.201 of the wufuc program by zeffy to bypass the ridiculously dumb "Unsupported hardware" error when trying to use Windows Update in any capacity.
- Added WIN7LIKE COMBO RevC start menu skin by juniper7 for use with Classic Shell.
- Added v1.1.9 of the OldNewExplorer program by Tihiy to return some removed Windows 7 Explorer features if so desired.

10 hours ago, cc333 said:

I wish someone could bring back the old toolbar-style interface from XP and older.  This is something no one seems to have been able to do yet, but I'm sure it's possible.

c

The REALLY old Explorer interface you mean?

I am now SERIOUSLY considering adding Windows Media Center v12 in a 1.2 update since I've just heard that even TO THIS DAY, WMC is the only media center software that is capable of recording CableCARD DRM-protected content. Utterly absurd, but it is what it is. The only reason why I'm hesitating though is that including the full edition of WMC is gonna add an extra 65 MBs to the pack.

14 hours ago, Tsuna1995 said:

would be great if you can get ex7forw8 to work on windows 8.1 to make the start menu close to windows 7 but it hasn't been updated for a long time. not sure if it will be stable after all the windows update.

There is no reason to use this any longer as Classic Shell/Open Shell does everything that ex7forw8 does and better. Plus, Classic Shell is made to work nicely with Aero Glass.

Edited by AeroSeeker

Yep, it's confirmed. TV channels marked "copy once" by cable providers can only be recorded by WMC.

v1.2 released.

Changes:
- N/A

Removals:
- N/A

Additions:
- Added v12 of Windows Media Center 64-bit for Windows 8.1 to restore functionality to record TV channels marked "copy once" by cable providers.
- Added a bunch more Start button skins and a Vista taskbar skin for fun.