Windows Vista on 5th gen cpu?

Jaguarek62

I've got for really cheap Dell Latitude e7250 with these specs:

https://prnt.sc/vv6gna

Intel hd 5500 will probably be the biggest issue :( 

I've installed Windows 8.1, but I used dualboot with Vista on my previous laptop (I still have it) with 3rd gen intel cpu. I know about haswell+ bugs, but did extended kernel help?

Thanks for any info. I would like to use Vista on this laptop, because the previous one has really bad battery, broken hdd cage and it is really heavy.

Edited by Jaguarek62

I haven't been able to help hardware support yet. I did get some ideas very recently about what is causing Haswell problems however. I am becoming convinced that the HAL needs to be modified to deal with the timing problems. As the HAL seems to be one of the more "protected" system files like ntdll and win32k, it could be tricky. Need to determine if that really is the culprit, by cross-comparing with 6519 and 7601 versions (the former also doesn't have timing problems).

Believe me, my Kaby Lake laptop is really crummy but I'd like it a lot more if Vista were to function properly on it.

20 hours ago, win32 said:

I haven't been able to help hardware support yet. I did get some ideas very recently about what is causing Haswell problems however. I am becoming convinced that the HAL needs to be modified to deal with the timing problems. As the HAL seems to be one of the more "protected" system files like ntdll and win32k, it could be tricky. Need to determine if that really is the culprit, by cross-comparing with 6519 and 7601 versions (the former also doesn't have timing problems).

Believe me, my Kaby Lake laptop is really crummy but I'd like it a lot more if Vista were to function properly on it.

Any idea why x86 systems don't have that problem with Haswell ? By the way , I'm not sure if you remeber , back in the day (I think in 2007 Vista already had the exact same black screen of death on some systems , they even had a patch , but it was deleted from servers. It had the SAME logon failure error. Some people wrote that the reason was the changed activation process , I do not know if that's true . I never had it with my Core Quad during that days. Take a look here https://www.gfisk.com/windows-vista-logon-screen-of-death/

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2020 at 9:58 AM, win32 said:

I.. Need to determine if that really is the culprit, by cross-comparing with 6519 and 7601 versions (the former also doesn't have timing problems).

Have you ever heard of  KB977675 ? "The issue occurs because of a deadlock between a thread in Windows NT File System driver (Ntfs.sys) and a thread in the Autochk.exe program." I have something similar (from time to time) with Haswell and SP1/SP2  , I can summon task manager and just start the explorer , though. I wouldn't say it bothers me a lot , but sometimes it just hangs up or shows this "famous" logon failure. I'd like to add , RTM is much less affected.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/microsoft-releases-fix-for-windows-vista-black-screen

There are multiple possible issues:

1) The ACPI might prevent you from properly installing Windows Vista on that machine. Perhaps Dell used a different ACPI version for that laptop, but an AIO Dell of mine from 2013 can't even install Windows 7 because of the ACPI stuff. On the win-raid forums, there are experimental Windows XP ACPI files, but I'm not sure whether they are compatible with Windows Vista; no one appears to have tried.

2) As mentioned on a top post, HAL Timer is probably the issue that causes Windows Vista to act funky on these newer boards.

3) Looking at the drivers, it's a hit-and-miss situation. Windows 7 is the minimum requirement, but I guess you could try it on Windows Vista. Be sure to update any possible dependent components like DirectX and other system updates. I would recommend using SDI's (Snappy Driver Installer) offline version. It's possible the Windows 7 drivers could work on Vista due to having a similar driver model.

Edited by FantasyAcquiesce

I have an asus x540lj with an i3 4005u and 920m from nvidia

I wish I could install windows vista but the keyboard (this one is weird because the enter key and arrows somehow works)and trackpad and usb ports don't work because I don't have the drivers..

is it possible to install vista on this thing?

On 12/3/2020 at 9:58 AM, win32 said:

....Believe me, my Kaby Lake laptop is really crummy but I'd like it a lot more if Vista were to function properly on it.

Someone claims to have the "Logon Process Initialization Failure" for Haswell fixed . Beware , a very good English ahead .

https://steamcommunity.com/app/498240/discussions/0/143388132201481545/

3 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

I can't access his mega link. can you?

Maybe you'll try to write to this person ? And scroll down to the comments , some other links are there.

Edited by Dixel

Just add "z" to "mega.n" and you will be able to access the mega folder.

I don't understand though, this seems to tie the timing problems to graphics drivers, and apparently this is fixed by installing XP ones. He said he added D3D9ex support, but the XP drivers I checked so far only have inf mods (many others are pure WDDM drivers).

Using XP drivers is not a valid solution anyway. I want Vista to take advantage of DX 11.2, D3D12on7 (since it has problems on 8.x with its DX components) and Vulkan. That's not happening with XP drivers.

Edited by win32

3 hours ago, win32 said:

Just add "z" to "mega.n" and you will be able to access the mega folder.

I don't understand though, this seems to tie the timing problems to graphics drivers, and apparently this is fixed by installing XP ones. He said he added D3D9ex support, but the XP drivers I checked so far only have inf mods (many others are pure WDDM drivers).

Using XP drivers is not a valid solution anyway. I want Vista to take advantage of DX 11.2, D3D12on7 (since it has problems on 8.x with its DX components) and Vulkan. That's not happening with XP drivers.

I've done this already , as soon as I found it . I think the author wrote about the "z" , strange why he didn't notice . Anyway , I've tried that driver , I'm getting a blank black screen on my Haswell  notebook . And an instant BSOD with XP 32 bit.

4 hours ago, win32 said:

the XP drivers I checked so far only have inf mods

Do you think it's possible they will work on POS embedded 2009 ? Perhaps you know , is there a big difference betwen the driver model in embedded 2009 and XP, I kind of liked the POS embedded theme. Thanks

2 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Do you think it's possible they will work on POS embedded 2009 ? Perhaps you know , is there a big difference betwen the driver model in embedded 2009 and XP, I kind of liked the POS embedded theme. Thanks

Nope, there isn't a difference in the driver model or kernel of POSReady 2009 compared to regular XP.