XP and the Internet

mattrix

3 hours ago, mattrix said:

a celeron @2.5GHz

That's more than enough power for XP with additional support for SSE and SSE2, as it looks like on Cpu World. Please comfirm, if that could be the processor you have, because there are different browser versions of Roytams browsers (No-SSE for a Celeron from 1999 for example, SSE-only for Pentium 3 from 2001 for example...)

I'd like to send you some RAM, but it takes half a year around the globe to arrive... but 1 GB shouldn't be too bad either.

Regarding the busload of system services, select "Run" from the start menu and enter "services.msc". The description texts should help you to decide for most of the services, if you want them. Everything that Microsoft encrypted behind an acronym is then a case for the search engine of your choice. I disabled half of the system services and it definetly speeds up Windows XP.

Edited by Gansangriff
Link added

I think you really need the additional RAM, XP runs just fine with 1 GB, but nowadays browsers (please read a stupidly bloated websites) think it is one of those "all you can eat"  places, and 2 GB is probably the bare minimum to have a "normal" experience with a few tabs/sites open in the browser at the same time.

As a side note, the more you can access with QTweb (and with javascript disabled), the better.

jaclaz

On 12/6/2020 at 7:00 PM, Gansangriff said:

Please comfirm, if that could be the processor you have,

Yeah looks reasonable, essentially it is a low power P4, so I expect SSE equivalent to that, at least SSE2 (maybe SSE3?)

There seems to be a lot of love for webkit browsers like QTweb, even though it hasn't been updated since 2013.

Edited by mattrix

On 12/6/2020 at 2:52 AM, jaclaz said:

I think you really need the additional RAM, XP runs just fine with 1 GB, but nowadays browsers (please read a stupidly bloated websites) think it is one of those "all you can eat"  places, and 2 GB is probably the bare minimum to have a "normal" experience with a few tabs/sites open in the browser at the same time.

As a side note, the more you can access with QTweb (and with javascript disabled), the better.

jaclaz

Hey, I've been scouring around this place for suggestions for lightweight browsers, and glad I found this. Taking a look now.

Anything else you recommend that actually works with most sites and is lightweight? I know, oxymoron, but I'm hoping there's something...