How to get Twitch/Twitter working on newer Firefox/Pale Moon versions

pridesnow

Good day, I have good news - I was able to get the broadcast on Twitch and the video on Twitter to work on latest versions of Firefox or Pale Moon!:D

image.png

image.png

Before running the latest browsers, you need to install the extended kernel from @win32

As we know, initially on newer versions of Firefox and Pale Moon, some built-in codecs in Windows Vista do not work, since the Firefox development team simply removed some of the Windows Vista codecs part of the code from the browser. As a result, some sites (including Twitch, Twitter) stopped displaying videos. To fix this, download this archive and extract it to your Firefox or Pale Moon root folder. It simply replaces two files, thanks to which videos or broadcasts will work on those sites on which it did not work.

Edited by pridesnow

15 minutes ago, pridesnow said:

Good day, I have good news - I was able to get the broadcast on Twitch and the video on Twitter to work on latest versions of Firefox or Pale Moon!:D

image.png

image.png

Before running the latest browsers, you need to install the extended kernel from @win32

As we know, initially on newer versions of Firefox and Pale Moon, some built-in codecs in Windows Vista do not work, since the Firefox development team simply removed some of the Windows Vista codecs part of the code from the browser. As a result, some sites (including Twitch, Twitter) stopped displaying videos. To fix this, download this archive and extract it to your Firefox or Pale Moon root folder. It simply replaces two files, thanks to which videos or broadcasts will work on those sites on which it did not work.

That's a good development! Kudos to you for your effort!

Edited by TECHGEEK

Would I be correct in guessing that one file is an h.264 decoder? I am not experimenting with the extended kernel myself (having only a Vista x86 system in need of refurbishing), but win32 mentioned in his November 23 post “an installer for Windows 7’s Media Foundation files, which are used by recent Firefox-based browsers.” Wouldn’t that suffice for Twitch and Twitter?

5 hours ago, pridesnow said:

As we know, initially on newer versions of Firefox and Pale Moon, some built-in codecs in Windows Vista do not work, since the Firefox development team simply removed some of the Windows Vista codecs part of the code from the browser...

I don’t believe there was very much code to remove, because Firefox never supported Vista’s system codecs in the first place. Firefox versions old enough to use on vanilla Vista (ESR 52 x86 and earlier) also supported Windows XP, which had no such decoders (notably for h.264), so Firefox provided its own decoders. There was never a version that supported Vista but not XP. (Well official Pale Moon 27 supported Vista but not XP, and the x86 version even used the h.264 decoder provided by Platform Update; but that didn’t work in the x64 version.) I don’t mean to sound critical: Just an old-timer trying to set the record straight. :)

3 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

I don’t believe there was very much code to remove

I'm not saying that they removed all the code from the base, if it were all, then, I think, this solution would not exist at all. And yes, I just remember that the video from @WinClient5270 said that the code needed to work with the codecs from Windows Vista was simply removed. Most likely I just misunderstood

Edited by pridesnow