Anyone using an IBM t60/t61/any similar model as a main computer in 2020?

Win10-Hater

IBM ThinkPad t60/t61 owners, hello! 

Share your experience with the t60/t61/any similar laptop such as an r60/r61 or even a Frankenpad (t60+t61) if you have ever owned one and share what you have done to make it usable even now and a system properties screenshot (if you still use it of course).

Just for reference: I myself don't have a t60/t61 and have never had one but I have seen a plethora of YouTube videos on how these laptops are great and still usable now. 

Edited by Win10-Hater
added some details

I have an R61 which is a bit different than the T60 that I am in the process of setting up to be my secondary notebook. It will have Windows XP Pro SP3 x86 with RAM Overlay, and I also want to see if I can dual-boot it with a Windows PE v10. The reasoning I figured to have an XP system is specifically due to the inability of modern OSes to connect to certain websites that use old TLS or sunsetted certficiations, such as what you would find in older network hardware. With the RAM overlay, it would be "safe" to use this XP system on the modern internet.

Here is a post that compares the model you talk about and the one I have:

R6x models are basically T6x models with a different material for the casing, and they are a bit bulkier.
The T60/R60 can take up to 4GB RAM, of which only ~3GB is usable.
The T61/R61 can take up to 8GB usable RAM.
T60 comes with Intel or ATI graphics.
R61 comes with Intel or nVidia graphics.
The T61/R61 CPU mentioned is way more powerful (and is Core 2 Duo) than the Core Duo T60/R60 CPU mentioned.

Ref: https://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?p=625145&sid=2275748362f2f4a630518fb0e8bbc120#p625145

The only real downside I currently can feel with this notebook is the weight. Since my notebook bag has this Thinkpad, as well as the MSI MS-163K and a wireless router in it, in addition to the three power bricks and whatever else is in there, it is quite heavy to be lugging around.

11 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

I have an R61 which is a bit different than the T60 that I am in the process of setting up to be my secondary notebook. It will have Windows XP Pro SP3 x86 with RAM Overlay, and I also want to see if I can dual-boot it with a Windows PE v10. The reasoning I figured to have an XP system is specifically due to the inability of modern OSes to connect to certain websites that use old TLS or sunsetted certficiations, such as what you would find in older network hardware. With the RAM overlay, it would be "safe" to use this XP system on the modern internet.

Do you have an SSD on the r61? If so ,which SSD?

13 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

Here is a post that compares the model you talk about and the one I have:

Ref: https://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?p=625145&sid=2275748362f2f4a630518fb0e8bbc120#p625145

The only real downside I currently can feel with this notebook is the weight. Since my notebook bag has this Thinkpad, as well as the MSI MS-163K and a wireless router in it, in addition to the three power bricks and whatever else is in there, it is quite heavy to be lugging around.

Have you considered putting Middleton BIOS on this r61?

"R6x models are basically T6x models with a different material for the casing, and they are a bit bulkier.
 The T60/R60 can take up to 4GB RAM, of which only ~3GB is usable.
 The T61/R61 can take up to 8GB usable RAM.
 T60 comes with Intel or ATI graphics.
 R61 comes with Intel or nVidia graphics. T61/R61 with nVidia graphics should be avoided like the devil avoids Holy Water.
 The T61/R61 CPU mentioned is way more powerful (and is Core 2 Duo) than the Core Duo T60/R60 CPU mentioned"

I guess the Core Duo (or Core 1 Duo as I better like to call it) can be upgraded to a Core 2 Duo on a t60/r60?

Edited by Win10-Hater

• 1 month later...

The T60 is my main laptop. I have 4GB RAM (3GB is all that is usuable as mentioned), C2D T7600 (2.33GHz), 14.1" 4:3 screen and a 1TB SSD. And a triple boot: Windows 2000, XP x86, and Q4OS Trinity x64. This is very slightly a "frankenpad", as the cooler was upgraded using one that was intended for use in a T500.
My ThinkPad T60 was an early one, made in (either july or august, cant remember) 2006, so it has the IBM branding. I beleive I am this laptop's 4th owner, with it appearing to have been professionally refurbished at least twice before i bought it in 2017.

To make battery life more optimal, on Windoze I use RMclock to undervolt the CPU and control the speedsteps to only increase when the system tasks absolutely need it. I also use TPFanControl in a slightly modified smart mode 1 to keep the fan off when not needed.
As for linux in this regard, i know ThinkPad/voltage control libraries exist, but I've yet to mess with them. So currently, the powersaving on linux is only to the extent of TDEPowerSave's "dynamic" mode.

Edited by i430VX

• 3 months later...

I have a T60 I'm using right now that I have replaced the original bios with Libreboot using Luke Smith's tutorial here:

I have Trisquel 9 mini version installed as the OS, seems to be working just fine!