were all the motherboards (compatible with windows 98-ME) affected by capacitor plague?

caprireds

One of my computers blew up.

Which one you may ask?

Of course the strongest one. The XP power machine from 2007, using a Pentium D dual core. It was one leaked capacitor, then two, then three (all being placed around the fat CPU cooler)... the system became more unstable. The computer could be used longer through removing components from it, like the graphics card (and using the onboard graphics), removing the second hard drive, removing all except one RAM...

But finally, it stopped turning on. Dead.

Thankfully, a local store soldered some new capacitors for 30 euros to the board. For that amount of money, I could have bought a more powerful desktop computer here. Anyways! It's a powerful computer that's worth using. Hasn't the Intel Management Engine spyware inbuild like in newer hardware. Has a proper BIOS. And can basically do everything on the web.

1 minute ago, Gansangriff said:

One of my computers blew up.

Which one you may ask?

Of course the strongest one. The XP power machine from 2007, using a Pentium D dual core. It was one leaked capacitor, then two, then three (all being placed around the fat CPU cooler)... the system became more unstable. The computer could be used longer through removing components from it, like the graphics card (and using the onboard graphics), removing the second hard drive, removing all except one RAM...

But finally, it stopped turning on. Dead.

Atleast caps did not cause fire like on one dell. Electrolyte ignited at bootup ruining board.

3 minutes ago, Gansangriff said:

Thankfully, a local store soldered some new capacitors for 30 euros to the board.

That is not too bad price. I got ok soldering skills but would not touch mainboard that I do not want to lose either. And I usually let one of my relative do it since he is way more skilled than me and is happy do it free as long as I got caps for him.

8 minutes ago, Gansangriff said:

Anyways! It's a powerful computer that's worth using. Hasn't the Intel Management Engine spyware inbuild like in newer hardware. Has a proper BIOS. And can basically do everything on the web.

Lucky it lacks since some systems had it since 2006 (amt). I could say same from my Pentium 4 system (asus p4p800, 2.80ghz Pentium 4 socket 478, Gainward 6800gt) . Pretty powerful and all it needs it more RAM. Now got 1gb and consider getting 4gb to it whenever find decent deal nearby. It has been sitting on closet for too much because had no space for it earlier before moved to new place. Now can put it back in order. Gpu needed fan replacement since worn bearings. Swapped 60mm noctuas to it. It does ok for factory OC gpu (80c max) since 6800 run hot. I got plan to hook into my DiamondView CRT and buy few large hard drives and also install DVR card to it too for watching SD quality TV programs and reading teletext. Just bit worried from burnin risk caused by TV channel logo on top.

Otherwise it is solid and powerful machine with right software and funny enough I will likely use it more and invest more money to it than main system but well my money I do what I please with it:roll1:

Oh no! You're right! This computer has the i945 chipset with the Intel 82801 ICH7 southbridge, which has the first version of the AMT installed. Thank you for pointing that out to me, because I was just relaxing on the production year of this Acer Veriton 6800 and Richard Stallman saying something like use a computer of 2007 and earlier. *sigh* I have to work more precisely.

12 hours ago, Gansangriff said:

Oh no! You're right! This computer has the i945 chipset with the Intel 82801 ICH7 southbridge, which has the first version of the AMT installed.

you still likely will be able disable it using third party tools. There is some utils that wiped AMT module clean so it would not work. I got 954gm chipset on hp notebook from 2006 and it lacks AMT so must be on of last laptops without it. Also interesting note it got core2duo t7400 despite being 945 chipset and no AMT. So far have not come across any 945 based desktop mainboard without amt and core2duo support (can choose only one)

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

On 9/6/2021 at 6:13 PM, Gansangriff said:

Thank you for pointing that out to me...

You're welcome ! I'm sorry for your 30 Euro down the drain . If only you lived nearby ... I could solder them for free . Buy an office Siemens board, where it could be disabled in BIOS , yes , there are some boards like that , for your 775 socket also . A good example would be Q35 chipset boards where Siemens folks made an option to disable it completely , even with a password protected setting , so no one could revert it back!  I'm guessing could be found for 10-20 euro max in Germany.

Just to add another example to the discussion....

Last summer, i had *two* IBM/Lenovo ThinkCentre i915 computers (circa 2005) go "belly up"... within *two* weeks of each other! Both exhibited similar symptoms: initially random shutdowns/reboots during usage, then same combined with long bootups / occasional booting lockups, then wouldn't boot at all (no BIOS messages). The company has long been known for their reliability, and i've always liked their desktops. (The mainboards were not Intel -- they were in-house.)

Opening them up, one m/b had a bunch of *slightly*-top-bulging electrolytic capacitors around the CPU; on the other m/b they looked normal. Both power supplies tested ok.

I suppose i'll try to re-cap 'em eventually... when i get some time and motivation.

- Doug B.

8 hours ago, DougB said:

Just to add another example to the discussion....

Last summer, i had *two* IBM/Lenovo ThinkCentre i915 computers (circa 2005) go "belly up"... within *two* weeks of each other! Both exhibited similar symptoms: initially random shutdowns/reboots during usage, then same combined with long bootups / occasional booting lockups, then wouldn't boot at all (no BIOS messages). The company has long been known for their reliability, and i've always liked their desktops. (The mainboards were not Intel -- they were in-house.)

Sounds similar to my old thinkcentre with 945 chipset. It first had random reboot when inserted or removed usb drive, then boot started take long and eventually system died. It had no bulging caps and I assume caps next to ram died since when try boot using igp get memory failure on good modules and gpu failure when use deciated gpu

On 9/6/2021 at 6:13 PM, Gansangriff said:

Oh no! You're right! This computer has the i945 chipset with the Intel 82801 ICH7 southbridge

A free advice from an old school dude :

1- Just buy a dedicated network card [not intel] and this will prevent ME from going online . I can send you a link to a good German store (approx. 5-12 Euro).

2 - Also , you need to disable the onboard intel LAN in your BIOS.

3 - Realx and Enjoy .

P.S.

Not sure if this trick will still work with the modern systems. I do not have any. My "latest" is from from 2013 and the trick works on it.

18 hours ago, Dixel said:

A free advice from an old school dude :

1- Just buy a dedicated network card [not intel] and this will prevent ME from going online . I can send you a link to a good German store (approx. 5-12 Euro).

2 - Also , you need to disable the onboard intel LAN in your BIOS.

3 - Realx and Enjoy .

P.S.

Not sure if this trick will still work with the modern systems. I do not have any. My "latest" is from from 2013 and the trick works on it.

Definitely did not think this, less risky than wiping flash chip that I have been doing. I got some realtek cards, would those be incompatible with ME or what chipset you use? I got one 2017 intel system to test if works up to that new

Just now, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

Definitely did not think this, less risky than wiping flash chip that I have been doing. I got some realtek cards, would those be incompatible with ME or what chipset you use? I got one 2017 intel system to test if works up to that new

Any realtek chipset should do just fine !  If you read the ME docs , it says it has it's own mac address , right ? So how it will send any info if it's own LAN is switched off ? Of course, there are newer motherboards that have realtek onboard already installed and the address is known to intel ME , but you will have another card with another address and intel ME won't have any drivers for it ! Checkmate. 

P.S.

I'm sorry , I don't know about 2017 motherboards , my youngest is more than 8 y.o. , as of now. But in theory it should work too ! Just try to use older PCI cards. (not PCI-e).

On the other hand , PCI-e should work too . I just didn't test it myself . To answer your question , my chipset is Q87 and ME can't go online with another PCI realtek card !

Another mobo is with Q45 , the same , it's blocked.