MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. ×

nVidia Forceware driver 77.72 patch for 512MB VGAs

As you know, R.Loew made nvidia videomem size patch for >256MB cards, that modifies NVCORE.VXD of 82.69 drivers. A friend of mine asked me if the patch can be backported to 77.72 drivers because he claims the newer drivers renders artefacts in some games on his GF7800. I never had GF7800, only GF7600 and GF7900 and had no problems with 82.69 drivers (except shutdown problem). So I tried to look what the patch changed on NVCORE.VXD ver 82.69. I found 3 code hooks by JMP/CALL that referenced a piece of new code added in a caveat near EOF. I tried to find similar code in ver 77.72, patched it, copied new code and modified the offsets to match. I'm not sure that I found the right matching code and how much the 77.72 differs but some parts looked pretty similar. I only don't know what to do with 3 changed Bytes at offset 144-146h. I thought it may be a checkusm in LE header but it's further and my tool says the checksum is 0 even in original file. I hope Windows would not complain and load the driver anyway.

I cannot test it and he too coz his GF7800 had died. So if someone interested plese test it on GF7800/512MB and let me know how it works. Patched driver is temporarly here

http://www.rayer.g6.cz/1tmp/7772mod.vxd

rename to NVCORE.VXD and replace your version. Use with 77.72 don't mix with other version of installed drivers.

Edited by xrayer

I can test it on a 7600 512MB and 7300 512MB but 77.72 had not supported these cards. The inf does not include 7 series cards, have you a modified inf. Also is the NVCORE.VXD of 82.69 drivers already modified or does the R.Loew patch need installing. I have no trouble with the 82.69 drivers on the 512MB cards, I did not modify the NVCORE.vxd that was downloaded. Using WinME OS.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

I'd bought a 7900GT 512 some years ago. But I never tested it. It's in a box. I have little hope for 7 series and 77.72, because 81.98 is not compatible either. AFAIK only the driver 82.69 is compatible with the complete 7 series. 82.16 is compatible with GF7800xx.

I have one desktop system with a 7800GTX PCI-e, and a laptop with a 7800gtx- Both are 256mb but  both have artifacts with NFS games: underground 2 & most wanted 2005 with 82.69

I'll test when I can

I've recently started switching my systems over to ATI, I prefer better openGL than more framerates.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 7800GTX, but 77.72 drivers don't have a line for it in NVAML.INF. So I replaced NVAML.INF with the one from 82.69, and the drivers worked. No problems so far.

Edited by tyukok
  • 1 month later...
On 1/10/2021 at 11:47 AM, tyukok said:

I have a 7800GTX, but 77.72 drivers don't have a line for it in NVAML.INF. So I replaced NVAML.INF with the one from 82.69, and the drivers worked. No problems so far.

Hi, more info please. What memory size is on your 7800GTX? Did you tried to replace original 77.72 NVCORE.VXD with my patched one? Did the unpatched driver work too or made a BSOD?

16 hours ago, xrayer said:

Hi, more info please. What memory size is on your 7800GTX? Did you tried to replace original 77.72 NVCORE.VXD with my patched one? Did the unpatched driver work too or made a BSOD?

My 7800GTX only had 256MB. I replaced the original 77.72 NVCORE.VXD with the patched one before installing it, didn't try to use the unpatched one.

Thanks, so at least we can see the patch doesn't break the functionality but I still need to prove if it helps running 512MB cards. So someone else please test it.