How to get a ISO of Vista updated to 2017 EOS

asdf2345

I'd post an ISO and be done, but MSFN admins would rape me if I did that, so I have to do this the long way.

To begin with, you'll need an Windows Vista SP2 ISO. (You might be able to slipstream a service pack into an ISO, but I have not tested it)

Download vLite (DISM++ might work as an alternative, but I haven't tried it for this purpose)

You'll need to get this pack of updates to update Vista to the 2017 EOS, but some are missing, which I will get to later.

You'll need to extract your Vista ISO, and point vLite to the ISO.

Now, you'll have to select the Integration, Components, and Bootable ISO option.

In Integration, you'll add all the updates, by adding the updates in the 1, 2, 3, and then 4 folders. The program is smart enough to integrate them in the order you added them, so you don't need to worry about multiple integrations.

Now once at Components, you'll need to remove a few things, as vLite doesn't like it if the install.wim gets too big. I removed Help, Tablet PC, Windows Easy Transfer, and Natural Language, but you can remove whatever you want, as long as it gets the install.wim small enough.

Now you just let it do it's thing and make a bootable ISO.

There are a few things you'd need to know after this. There are some things not included in the update pack, like .Net updates, and a few other updates, which are linked here.

You also might want to take a look at this, which gives info about various Vista drivers, and gives links to them.

You might have issues installing from USB, so you might need to use a DVD, but this only seems to be true for USB 3.0 only systems, and Easy2Boot might work for installing from USB.

2 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

I'd post an ISO and be done, but MSFN admins would rape me if I did that, so I have to do this the long way.

To begin with, you'll need an Windows Vista SP2 ISO. (You might be able to slipstream a service pack into an ISO, but I have not tested it)

Download vLite (DISM++ might work as an alternative, but I haven't tried it for this purpose)

You'll need to get this pack of updates to update Vista to the 2017 EOS, but some are missing, which I will get to later.

Now, you'll have to select the Integration, Components, and Bootable ISO option.

In Integration, you'll add all the updates, by adding the updates in the 1, 2, 3, and then 4 folders. The program is smart enough to integrate them in the order you added them, so you don't need to worry about multiple integrations.

Now once at Components, you'll need to remove a few things, as vLite doesn't like it if the install.wim gets too big. I removed Help, Tablet PC, Windows Easy Transfer, and Natural Language, but you can remove whatever you want, as long as it gets the install.wim small enough.

There are a few things you'd need to know after this. There are some things not included in the update pack, like .Net updates, and a few other updates, which are linked here.

You also might want to take a look at this, which gives info about various Vista drivers, and gives links to them.

You might have issues installing from USB, so you might need to use a DVD, but this only seems to be true for USB 3.0 only systems, and Easy2Boot might work for installing from USB.

Awesome guide! Can I use the link to this topic as a resource in my Vista modernisation guide?

On 11/27/2020 at 2:06 PM, asdf2345 said:

now that's why you should use dism++ 

it has a tab called "Disk Clean-up" select everything as you won't need any of that crap.

I was able to get -12gb on the C: drive and -~2gb on the final iso.

Edited by winvispixp

On 11/27/2020 at 2:06 PM, asdf2345 said:

Wouldn't it be easier if you used what greenhillmaniac has in his repository ?

I haven't checked your updates tho but it's a great way to compare to see if you or he missed something

1 hour ago, winvispixp said:

Wouldn't it be easier if you used what greenhillmaniac has in his repository ?

I haven't checked your updates tho but it's a great way to compare to see if you or he missed something

My pack are updates I got from updating Vista inside a VM. (Before everything went SHA-2 of course) It's the method I've used for making other updated ISOs

Edit: What I meant by missing is the pack of updates that needs to be installed after Vista is installed

Edited by asdf2345

On 11/27/2020 at 6:06 AM, asdf2345 said:

Thanks! I think I tried this a while back and could never get it to work. There were a few bad updates in the pack that had to be rooted out. I probably ran vLite 60 or 70 times, each time taking 2 hours to build and transfer the ISO, to test it out each time. This took the course of several months.

I think in the end, I just ended up running the scripts and some things failed but it kept going. I was never able to get slipstreaming to work.

This was starting from Vista SP2 Ultimate x64.

• 1 year later...
29 minutes ago, ExtremeGrief said:

Greenhillmaniac repo is not complete, only has updates until 2019

Yes, but I was looking to make an ISO with Vista updated to only 2017 EOS. That way it would be easier to then install the extended kernel and Server 2008 updates from there.

5 hours ago, xpandvistafan said:

Yes, but I was looking to make an ISO with Vista updated to only 2017 EOS. That way it would be easier to then install the extended kernel and Server 2008 updates from there.

Install extended kernel after all Server 2008 Updates + 2022-02 Rollup

• 10 months later...

I recently created an iso with all Windows Vista updates: 862 in total. I made an iso in English and in French because I am French but I thought of you because you are a great Windows Vista community. You will find the iso on my Youtube channel, I made a video of it. This is the only title in English at the moment.